VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made an .iso with AVS to DVD and burned it to a DVD-R with imgready. Imgready says that the operation was successful, but my DVD player is telling me "this disc cannot be played, please check the disc"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What brand of blank disc's do you use ??
    And how fast did you burn it ?? Try burning at 4x
    Also you might try using imgburn to burn your disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may have burned it as 720x576(PAL) instead of 720x480(North American NTSC).
    Use ImgBurn.
    *NOTE - ImgBurn wont change PAL/NTSC.
    Last edited by hech54; 18th Jun 2017 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know anything about imgready but possibly you burnt the disk as an 'archive' thus all you have on this disk is the .iso file or whatever suffix that program uses.

You would have to burn the disk to re-create the original dvd folder(s) and files.

And, as has been stated, use imgburn to burn the iso to disk. If it recognises the file as a valid iso then it will automatically recreate the folders/files during the burn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, Imgburn is what I meant to say, I said Imgready by mistake. The discs are Maxell discs which I've been using for years with no problems. I burned it with this model of external DVD drive that is hooked up to my laptop with a USB cable
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C2AMK2M/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was I supposed to install the drive first or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you read the comments on the Amazon page you would have read that you MUST install the supplied software (possibly a driver)

Imgburn would normally report if it did not see the burner/disk so this may not be the issue.

The unit is rated at 8x. And, again, to repeat what has been said, I would never burn a disk at full speed even if your blanks allow for that.

As for Maxell, just because you have not had any issues in the past it does not mean that new batches would be the same as older ones.

But do install that software first.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed that software and tried to make another disc with imgburn but my dvd player still wouldn't play it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is a software DVD player on your computer able to play the burned DVD using the same drive that you used to burn it?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the disk play on the computer ?
    At least you should check the VOB's and/or the related AVStoDVD project to make sure you didn't actually create a PAL disk
    as was mentioned earlier
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that I coded am NTSC disc. And when I put it back into my computer it treats it like a blank disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then make sure your burner has the drivers properly installed and that it is actually working. If you have some rewritables,
    you can test with those
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaneClark View Post
    I know that I coded am NTSC disc. And when I put it back into my computer it treats it like a blank disc.
    Mount the DVD ISO file with something like DVDFab Virtual Drive. Make sure it plays with a software DVD player. If the ISO plays OK, the problem is probably your external drive, or a combination of the external drive and media.

For what it is worth, it seems like more problems are reported with USB DVD drives than internal drives, especially for burning DVDs. There can be difficulties with both data transfer and insufficient power for burning media.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I "mount" a virtual drive to an iso?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I installed that virtual driver and tried again, and everything seemed to be working, but then it told me "all attempt close the drive have failed" and the log has been stuck on "waiting for the device to become ready" with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I "mount" a virtual drive to an iso?
    After installing DVDFab Virtual Drive, open the directory containing the ISO and right click on the ISO file. Click on "Mount to Z: I:MyDVD.ISO" or something similar. There is also an "Unmount" below it to use when you are finished testing the ISO. Once the ISO is mounted, you'll be able to play it as if it were a physical DVD.

Ok, I installed that virtual driver and tried again, and everything seemed to be working, but then it told me "all attempt close the drive have failed" and the log has been stuck on "waiting for the device to become ready" with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point
    I don't know what caused this outcome. It never happened to me. I guess you should uninstall DVDFab Virtual Drive because, for one reason or another, it is not working for you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already figured everything out - the only problems now are that the fast forward/rewind and chapter skip buttons won't work when I play this disc on my Samsung DVD player
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your original problem reported in this thread was this
    "this disc cannot be played, please check the disc"

What did you do to fix it ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

The problem seemed to be that I didn't have a virtual driver installed on my laptop
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

The problem seemed to be that I didn't have a virtual driver installed on my laptop
    Doesn't make a lot of sense. The Virtual drive is optional, it's purpose is to allow an iso to be "mounted" and assign it
    a drive letter so that it can be opened or played as if it were a real optical drive.

Windows 8.x and 10 have this built in, right cloick the iso and select "mount" -
    no need for third party software
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Total tripe.

You stated that your dvd player could not play the disk. DVD drives do not use a virtual driver. That is only for the PC domain and even then a properly created/burnt disk should play in a software player such as vlc without the need for a virtual driver.

What has changed since then ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing that's changed is that I installed DVDfab Virtual Drive
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But a virtual drive is for playback. makes no difference to burning. Unless, as I already inferred you burnt the iso as a file rather than let imgburn recreate the original structure.

You simply do not need a virtual drive for proper dvd folders.

Do us all a favour and upload the directory structure of the disk you burnt.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    On my setup at least, I tell avs2dvd to do a DVD folder instead of iso, then I let imgburn take it and make the correct disc. On Dual layer discs it prompts me to pick layer break etc and haven't had issues. When I let avs2dvd do a iso I had a few times the resulting disc didn't play. Wasn't a recurring issue so didn't report.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Total tripe.

You stated that your dvd player could not play the disk.
    Exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Total tripe.

You stated that your dvd player could not play the disk.
    Exactly.
    Perhaps the OP wrote the ISO as data instead of as an image ? But I think the program would warn you of this ...
    Quote Quote