VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    There are subtle differences even with my one good eye between them. It may not be a perfect procedure since Windows will use multiple windows differently but I had all three open in different vlc windows at the same time and just paused at different times. Jagabo's script now modified for 3 (or was that a different topic ?) views will show all three simultaneously with the same graphics.

I think I previous mentioned that I am not convinced that composite in to the Panny and s-video out is a valid workflow. Oh. It 'works' but does it do a true y/c split or just create 'colour' artefacts that would not be there with composite >> composite.

At the end of the day it comes down to what floats your boat. What is more pleasing to look at for yourself. All require some noise reduction (Even the NR on the Panny does not appear to help but that could also be the y/c issue) but Selur's script could assist there or even do some experimenting on your own. Just do not rely on some other 'expert' on here.

I would be more temped to look at contrast rather than brightness. The age of the film should not matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Capture 2 has the most recoverable detail, capture 4 the least.

I guess since that is the un-filtered/naked version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I think I previous mentioned that I am not convinced that composite in to the Panny and s-video out is a valid workflow. Oh. It 'works' but does it do a true y/c split or just create 'colour' artefacts that would not be there with composite >> composite.
    I am using composite in / S-Video out as well, because it suppresses dot-crawl significantly. I didn't notice color degradation with this setup, but I may double-check again. I don't know what exactly the Panny does internally in this configuration. At least there seems to be a working comb filter and line stabilizer somewhere along the path.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here are a couple of new captures, one is direct from VCR (composite) the other is from the VCR (scart) through the Panasonic DVD (svideo out) all filters off.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. My impression:
    The VCR-DAZ has partially clipped/crushed blacks which cannot be recovered. Should probably be re-captured with slight Proc-Amp adjustments.
    The VCR-DVD-DAZ is within valid levels and leaves room for adjustments/filtering to personal taste.
    None has the pixelation/oversharpening of your former B&W 2.avi, 3.avi, 4.avi captures.
    Last edited by Sharc; 5th Oct 2021 at 10:58.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    My impression:
    The VCR-DAZ has partially clipped/crushed blacks which cannot be recovered. Should probably be re-captured with slight Proc-Amp adjustments.
    The VCR-DVD-DAZ is within valid levels and leaves room for adjustments/filtering to personal taste.
    None has the pixelation/oversharpening of your former B&W 2.avi, 3.avi, 4.avi captures.
    Thanks for checking them. im getting close to accepting this is the best im going to get with the equipment i have. One last question if i may? The 'Capture Pin' settings has a Compression slider which is default to 1, when i change this to 0 i do see a difference in quality. What exactly is this doing? as i notice a difference even before capturing.

Many thanks.

[Attachment 61160 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 61161 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have no idea. The Capture pin ..... menu item is greyed out here in VDub2. May be it depends on the driver of your capture device.
    (and I am normally using AmarecTV for capturing, btw.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same here.

I noticed you have source set as PAL-B. Mine is set at PAL-I. Whether or not that makes any difference*. And I'm on Win7

*No difference
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I have no idea. The Capture pin ..... menu item is greyed out here in VDub2. May be it depends on the driver of your capture device.
    (and I am normally using AmarecTV for capturing, btw.)
    Ok no problem, I use amarectv when I get issues with vdub, but it seems to be behaving now I have changed the way I capture audio. I was using the dazzle usb audio, but now I use the line in Jack, and all seems fine now.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Same here.

I noticed you have source set as PAL-B. Mine is set at PAL-I. Whether or not that makes any difference*. And I'm on Win7

*No difference
    Yeah, for some reason it keeps jumping back to PAL-B!

I think I will keep it set as default 1 as it does make It look cleaner.
    Quote Quote