VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any suggestions on what capturing card/device to get for my new desktop?
    I'm probably just going to cap VHS tapes. I do have a Sony RDR-GX257 DVD Recorder.

Desktop details
    Code:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card 
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (RM750)
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Use the DVD recorder to convert a VHS tape to disc, ideally at highest bitrate. Cut a short sample from that with DGIndex and upload it here as an attachment.

I say this because if the RDR-GX257 has input TBC, you could record the HDMI output to get an uncompressed signal to your PC. Though I tested the RDR-GX300 (older despite "lower" model number?) and it's really bad with VHS input.

Beyond that, a budget is required to really start listing suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think I did it correctly. Anyways I used my Sanyo VWM-668 VCR to play it.
    My budget is about $200.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    By "short" I meant 10-30 secs, not 5 mins. There's a slight bend to the left at the top of the image, but it's essentially free of wiggles. If you have or can make a 2nd-gen recording, it would be more of a stress test, but based on this one sample, grabbing the HDMI output from the DVD recorder looks like a good path.

Colors look shockingly accurately for a cable TV recording.

The VCR isn't tracking the tape properly, and every other field has added distortion. Dunno whether that's just a symptom of the tracking, or a worn head...?
    Quote Quote  
  5. 2nd gen recording? Ah, I think I understand. Hopefully I have a blank tape to use for that somewhere.

Yeah sorry, I thought around 5 mins would help in seeing if it would work. Didn't realize it was that overboard.
    I do have 2 other VCRs but I'm doubtful they would be any better.

Toshiba VCR W-602
    Sanyo VWM-668
    Quasar VCR VHQ560 (5 25 1995?)
    Last edited by Merdink; 10th Jun 2017 at 02:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Around here, there is a thrift store that sells tapes for $0.25 CAD. Last time I wanted to record a test tape, I bought some popular pre-recorded movie that the world will never miss and taped over it. Any added instability from reusing the tape is beneficial for our purposes.

You don't need a "better" VCR for a tape to track better. And playing this TV recording in a different VCR should at least confirm whether that field issue is a playback problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I really hope this upload works this time or I'm gonna go nuts wasting hours trying to upload 6 clips, and they are an average of 50MB each.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Apart from the waviness in the Sanyo 2nd-gen, the Sony is doing a good job.

$20-50 for S-Video capture from the Sony passthrough: several options of roughly the same quality.

$50-90 for HDMI capture from the Sony passthrough: you could set up an eBay Saved Search for the AVerMedia HD DVR aka MTVHDDVRR aka C027. You only need the card itself; the analog input cable is useless IMO because the composite/S-Video side of the card isn't good. You probably also need a $10-25 splitter that can remove HDCP. This wouldn't be required if you had a Win7 PC and could do the C027 "HDCP trick".

Up to you what you want to do. With leftover budget, you could look into adding a Panasonic passthrough as well, if you run into tapes that produce results like the Sanyo 2nd-gen or worse.

All three VCRs show the alternating-bad-field issue. I guess it was a problem with the VCR that did the recording. The Toshiba appears to have the most neutral sharpness: the Sanyo is softened, and the Quasar is sharpened.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What Panasonic would I be looking for?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    DMR-ES10 is claimed to have the best correction, though no one has shown this head-to-head. ES15 is usually cheaper due to having less notoriety. ES25 is ES15+HDMI output; more expensive. There are other models too, but most or all have HDD, so are more expensive.

The disc drive needn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that since the DMR-ES10 doesn't have HDMI out, someone wanting to use one as a pass-through needs a good analog capture device. As already stated, the current version of the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR C027 is not good for SD analog capture.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You could use one of the variation of legacy Pinnacle devices, I have the 500-USB and works like a charm in lossless capture, They do require a driver though, installing a trial software from their website got me the driver for free even after the trial expiration. Here is a sample if you don't mind downloading few hundred megabytes. I got it on youtube but the quality is degraded little.
    Quote Quote