VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So my Hauppauge 1512 finally died, and Im in the market for a new capture device. Ive been looking at many different options, and it seems like none of the current devices offer capturing 5.1 surround sound. Looking through some of the posts here, and Ive repeatedly seen mention that capturing 5.1 via HDMI is just not possible with any device....but it definitely was possible with the 1512. Id love to find something newer/better than that (the 1512 randomly just stopped recording at times), but wondering if another 1512 is my only option for surround sound? Any information is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you like the HD PVR 2 model 1512 then you should probably stick with it. The other available option that I know of requires significantly more technical expertise than the HD PVR 2 model 1512. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392907-Is-there-a-lossless-video-capture-card-that...ures-5-1-audio
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh, no, I would not describe my feelings for the 1512 as "liking" it in any way at all I kinda hated it actually, with it randomly crashing during recording, losing connectivity, etc, and the clunky software, and on some level look forward to seeing what another company can offer. I was merely pointing out that it did one thing that it seems most current capture devices do not (capture 5.1 audio).
    Thanks for the info, although Im hoping to find something in the under $200 range. I know you have to pay more to get more, its just surprising that this was available on a device I bought 5 years ago for $150, but now you have to pay $300+ for this feature?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stereo audio is good enough for most consumers. Hence most consumer capture devices can only capture stereo audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ^This is true: just like 1080p is good enough for most consumers, yet devices that can capture 4K at 60fps are everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CylonWolf View Post
    just like 1080p is good enough for most consumers, yet devices that can capture 4K at 60fps are everywhere.
    I disagree. Humans are very visual creatures. We respond to and process visual information better than any other type of information. I suspect that most of the people who have a 4K TV don't have a premium audio system to go with it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a AverMedia 130 HDMI recorder hooked to my PC and use it to record streaming sources from my PC, truthfully I never tried to see if it would record 5.1 as pretty much everything I record isn't 5.1 and what I watch using 5.1 is via my DVD player, BD player or streaming through my Tivo to my TV and AVR. For a test I fed a DVD player's hdmi output to my AV130 playing a DVD I knew had 5.1. When I took the HDD off my AV130(it's not near my TV nor AVR) and hooked it to both my WDlive streamer and BD players USB input unfortunately all I got was PCM stereo, no 5.1
    I think I remember reading the AV130 would not do 5.1 but I hadn't tested it before, well now I know for sure the answer is a NO!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    There won't need higher resolution for consumers than 8k, since human eyes can not make difference between 8k and above. Over 8K resolution (like 16K) will be good only for film industry and security cameras to enlarge the image.
    Quote Quote