VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help Needed.....

I was capturing mpeg video from a JVC desktop miniDV machine to a windows 10 with firewire 1394 DV/HDV Capture Card with Nero 7 Essential ...
    All the story was great, but suddenly las week I lost the ability to capture on mpeg2.....
    On the DVD Capturing option not any more is shown the quality setting....
    And when you record the tape into the hard drive... it appears buffering... buffering... buffering...
    and never ends..... It takes my mind to think the encoder is no longer valid,.... and
    the software try to buffer all the movie transfering... at the end... it trys to fetch it to the encoder
    but there is no encoder and get hang.....

what to do....
    I have Direct X 12, and it seems Microsoft have send to change the encoders but in March, so it is not so recent.... to think it is the problem....
    What to do....

Then also I have a Nero Platinum 10 on the same machine already installed, but I don't like the new transcoding because it does not respect the 16:9 ratio.... it goes directly into 4:3....

If you see the Transcoding settings, there is no present the video quality setting... It seems to me that I loose something....
    Help Needed

Thanks the community

[Attachment 53517 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why aren't you transferring DV AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    DV/miniDV is AVI and transferred losslessly to HDD via firewie using WinDV or ScenalyzerLive.
    HDV/miniHDV is MPEG-2 and transferred losslessly to HDD via firewire using HDVsplit.
    Nero is the wrong software to use, you may as well delete it from your computer and save yourself the headache.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate your answers... Thanks!

Why aren't you transferring DV AVI? Because it is bigger to transfer.... 2 hours of video on 480i, I think could be 25GB!!? or maybe i am missing some thing...

HDV/miniHDV is MPEG-2 and transferred losslessly to HDD via firewire using HDVsplit. I will try it .... So you like HDVsplit.... yesterday I saw it but did not installed it....

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IF I capture with the Nero 10 Platinum, even that i use 16:9.... still getting 4:3 on the mpeg.... I don't get it...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    DV files are not big by today's standard when we have TB's of storage, Even if you still want to compress it is preferable to capture first and save the master files and compress later, never compress on the fly, If something goes wrong you will have to transfer the tape again but when you have the master files you can just make another compressed copy with different settings or a different software in case you have a problem. Also when you have the master lossless files you don't need tapes anymore but when you have a compressed copy you will have to keep the tapes for retransfering for the same reasons I mentioned above.
    Quote Quote