VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Yeah, but only for Linux

I see that Intel Media Server Studio supports Linux*. Is there a Microsoft Windows version?

Not anymore. Developers working on Windows-based platforms can now use the Intel® Media SDK. It has been updated to include the key capabilities that Windows developers are looking for.
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/faq
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by badyu17 View Post
    Yeah, but only for Linux

I see that Intel Media Server Studio supports Linux*. Is there a Microsoft Windows version?

Not anymore. Developers working on Windows-based platforms can now use the Intel® Media SDK. It has been updated to include the key capabilities that Windows developers are looking for.
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/faq

It says Windows too
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2018/03/07/whats-new-in-intel-media-sdk-2018-r1

This article focuses on What’s New in the Intel Media SDK for Windows* 2018. Significant features were added to this SDK, including media codecs, HEVC components, a video quality tool, and more - all for FREE! (Previously these features were available only with a paid license.)

What's New in Intel® Media SDK for Windows 2018 R1

In this release, significant new features were added to the Media SDK for Windows, which expands its usages to include enterprise, data center/visual cloud, broadcasting—along with desktop, client and mobile. New features and capabilities include:

Encoding features from Intel Media Server Studio Professional Edition now FREE.
    HEVC codec components - Software and GPU-accelerated HEVC (H.265)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was talking about Intel Media Server Studio, I don't know how I'm going to use HEVC from SDK if I'm not developer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 70GB, 2160P HEVC MKV which is 10bit L5.1 that I want to encode to mp4. I have the Ryzen threadripper 1950x and quality is my biggest priority, giving up speed. I am brand new to staxrip and did an mp4 encode with this file and the mp4 was 30GB. Ouch!

I'm looking for advice on what settings to use that will greatly reduce this file size while maintaining excellent quality if that's possible. Thanks for your help in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nobody can really tell you what to do since nobody does know what you call 'excellent quality',...
    -> Use a higher crf/cq/lower bit rate (depending on the encoder and encoding method chosen) until your size and quality goals diverge.
    (Also throw out unneeded audio and subtitle stream since especially for UHD content those tend to be rather large,..)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Does anyone have anything they add to the command line to improve 4K H.265 quality and file size? This is something I found on the web that someone added to the command line. Not sure what a lot of this means. Comments and thoughts?

pmode:rd=4:tu-intra-depth=3:rdoq-level=2:early-skip:b-intra:limit-modes:aq-mode=2:aq-strength=1.0:qg-size=16:ipratio=1.38bratio=1.28:me=3:max-merge=3:weightb:bframes=6:rc-lookahead=50:ref=6sy-rdoq=1.38:no-sao
    Last edited by maverickluke; 7th Jun 2018 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Currently, my system uses an i5 4460. I have been using VidCoder Beta for my encodes. I have been using it for 1080p and 720p from x264 to x265 10-bit with AC3 5.1 320kbps audio. My 1080p conversions take about an hour and a half per movie and my 720p conversions take about an hour. I may come back and edit these time frames later as I never really timed them as I was happy with the speed at which they completed. I visually see no difference in quality and my constant quality is set to 20 with a constant framerate set to "same as source". Because I am performing x264 to x265, I am not using Quicksync as Haswell processors do not support x265 encoding with Quicksync. All of this gets wrapped pretty into an MKV file from whatever the original source was. My file sizes are reduced in most cases by half and in some cases by 75% (depending on how many different audio streams are dropped in the re-encode).

That being said, I have just started working on x265 10-bit 2160p encodes. I can currently take a 17GB 2160p (4K) x265 file and re-encode it down to 5GB to 8GB in size with no noticeable difference in quality to my eye or anyone else's that has done a visual quality test with me after encoding. My vision is beyond perfect with 20/13 vision. I have "pilot eyes" as the doc used to tell me when I was in the military. Just adding that in there to make the point that I have very good vision and because of that I am very picky on visual quality. All other settings on my 4k videos are the same as my settings for 1080p and 720p and the videos are amazing and the sizes are much smaller than the original size.

I use PLEX as my media server and because of that, I decided that I will burn in subtitles to my 4k videos only since PLEX must transcode the video whenever there are subtitles unless of course they are burned in. 4K videos are tough to transcode for most processors and my PLEX server has a tough time with them so I prefer it performs a direct play. Also, PLEX does not transcode HDR so if you have HDR in your video, the transcoding will cause you to lose the HDR Effect on the video which is another reason why you may want to burn in subtitles so that the video is not transcoded and does not put work on your PLEX server CPU and you do not lose HDR on that video. With a 4K video reduced to a size of 5GB to 8GB, I can play it in 4K with HDR from anywhere as Direct Play over PLEX at barely 4 Mbps to 10 Mbps download speeds.

You might be wondering what my settings are for HDR on VidCoder.... They are below:

hdr:max-cll=4000,1000:master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP (15635,16450)L(10000000,1):deblock=-2,-3:strong-intra-smoothing=0:sao=0

These settings manually entered in the "More Settings" box in VidCoder puts my videos in HDR whether they are 1080p or 4K. When I play those videos through PLEX on my TV, the HDR symbol pops up for these videos and you can clearly tell the difference from it being HDR compared to what it looked like previous to my encode and was not in HDR.

All of that being said, with all of the settings I have in place with VidCoder and my i5 4460, it takes about 15 hours for a 4K video to encode. That is way too long for me, so I just ordered a GTX 1050TI and I am going to try and use the graphics card to encode the videos. I should get the card in a few days. I will encode a video with the CPU first and then with the 1050TI and I will report back to everyone how long both took, what the average FPS was during encoding, the file size differences, and of course my opinion on visual quality.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, input, or insight.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lord Azrael; 3rd Jul 2018 at 21:32.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's interesting. I'm not too sure about 4K 2160 video because the color is washed out/under saturated. I have searched the web and read a few threads on the issue. The new VLC media player version was supposed to take care of the issue however I still see this problem occur on my Mac and also PC. Are the HDR settings you are adding in the "More Settings" box for x265 4k encoding only with VidCoder or for all of your encodes including x264?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I don't use VLC or the my PC at all for that matter to watch my videos. I use my smart TVs, Rokus, and gaming systems to watch the videos. The 4k videos look amazing on my LG Smart TV via DLNA viewing on my internal Network. The 4k videos do not look washed out when I use those HDR settings that I place in the extra settings box. I use those settings for both VidCoder and Handbrake. There are times when the HDR does not take to the video for one reason or another that I have not yet figured out and when that happens the colors look bland. I'm not sure about those settings with x264 as I encode all of my videos in x265 in 1080p/4k and I use those HDR settings each time and I really do feel that the settings make a world of a difference in color quality. I don't see why you can't use those settings for x264 unless someone else thinks otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll try these settings in my next x265 4K encode. I still don't own a 4K TV yet and don't have the Apple TV 4K yet either so I will not be able to watch this on the big screen yet.
    Quote Quote  
  11. So how did the new GPU compare to Vidcoder?? I am thinking the same thing about getting one.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I'm new to this forum but not to video encoding.
    I have been playing with staxrip for several weeks now using HVenc H.265. The biggest issue I see with this encoder is macro blocking / flickering in dark areas. I also have some commercial software that has same issue, so it's in Nvidia's sdk.
    There is a bug report open with Nvidia.

1080p-VBR
    I found this helps, turn on aq, qpel
    Add the option in other --aq-strength 12 Some Videos work ok with strength 11
    Set bitrate to at least 6500bps

Funny thing is this does not always work good Last Jedi I had to set aq-strength to 2 but for most rips it helps

You can also add aq options in handbrake, but results seemed different to me. Staxrip gives you more options.

I've played around with CQ mode high quality with CQ settings of i19 p23 b25 while encoding Quality bluray with only a couple of areas of blotchyness. Encoding Frame rate was above 150fps, I had aq-strength set still but unknown if this had effect on CQ

Another trick is to mess with denoise setting's, add some noise to the background, forces encoder to throw more bits at background.
    Last edited by Godzilla62; 29th Jan 2019 at 20:55.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all

Newbie here for encoding .. I have an Intel i7 8750H laptop with 32Gb memory and Nvidia 1050 TI

I use VidCoder to encode with NVEnc automatic settings (I tweak the file size desired)

Can you tell me what is the best setting to get best quality/speed with this computer

Thanks for help
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by mikele59 View Post
    Hello all

Newbie here for encoding .. I have an Intel i7 8750H laptop with 32Gb memory and Nvidia 1050 TI

I use VidCoder to encode with NVEnc automatic settings (I tweak the file size desired)

Can you tell me what is the best setting to get best quality/speed with this computer

Thanks for help
    Are you using H264 or H265 NVENC? Honestly you will get a lot better looking results using similar settings with x264 or x265.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use x265
    Quote Quote