VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm having a tough time trying to extract and encode the audio from my Blu-ray disks.

Firstly I rip the Blu-ray disk with AnyDVD-HD which works just fine. Then I use meGUI (FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter, AVISynth, NeroAACEnc) to encode the video from the .m2ts file - all of this works fine and I get a nice video encode of the BD.

I have followed the guide on this forum from DJRumpy https://forum.videohelp.com/topic333634.html (which is excellent) and I don't have any problems with encoding video.

(Ultimately I want to be able to play the video - and audio! - on Apple TV - I know it has its limitations but it's my preferred way to playback my encoded videos)

My problems all start when trying to extract / encode the audio. Following the guide above doesnt work for me. Using D2V creator in meGUI just gives me an error message, no video sequence header found. It does this for all of the BD's ive tried (War and Run Fat Boy Run) and says to check my PIDs which ive tried to do with DGIndex - but this doesnt work either.

I 'think' I need to extract the audio another way but I'm not sure how - I've tried TSRemux to extract the .ts audio stream but I then can't use the resulting .ts file to convert to an Apple TV (AAC) friendly format to merge with my video file.

I think I have a knowledge gap on how to get the audio out of BD's - I have done some research on this forum but Im getting a little lost. I'd be very grateful if someone could help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm guessing that if you are using h.264 encoded blu-ray (the majority are), that you should use DGAVCDec (instead od DGMPGDec) to index instead

Give TsMuxeR a shot, and when you open the .m2ts, it should list all the audio tracks. Select the one(s) you want, use the demux tab, and press start
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance when I ask this question!

I use meGUI to encode the video which seems to work fine.

Are you saying that by default meGUI uses DGMPGEnc by default and I should swap to DGAVCEnc instead? Will that help with my audio problem? (again please excuse my ignorance!)

Ive used TSMuxer and it does show the audio streams from the .m2ts file on the BD but after extracting it to a .ts file none if the progs ive used seem to be able to read it. I have a real knowledge gap when it comes to extracting and encoding the BD audio.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you have ticked the "Demux" radio-button.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Most blu-ray .m2ts have multiple audio streams. Select the one you want. If you are unable to playback, chances are its LPCM or Dolby True HD or one of those variants. You need to convert it (losing quality of course). Try using eac3to for your conversion

If your final goal is a file compatible with Apple TV, it would probably be a lot easier to use ripbot264 using the Level 3.0 Apple TV profile. As you know, there are Apple TV specifies certain requirements and has compatibility problems with many h.264 streams (can only have 1 b-frame, I think, no b-pyramids and a few other things). So unless your MeGUI encoded video is compliant, you will not be able to play it back on Apple TV anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys and thanks so much for your help - using DGAVCDec has solved my audio problems - thank you all so much!!

Cheers

Steve
    Quote Quote