VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've converted a DTS-HD Master Audio track to FLAC using eac3to and Arcsoft's filter. All is well and good, but I'd also like to convert the FLAC to a 2 channel AAC for use on smaller, "portable" versions of movies I'm encoding. When trying to convert the FLAC though, it seems that the channel ordering is messed up. Is there any way I can convert from the FLAC to get the proper order, or do I need to convert again from the .dtsma file?

One of my big concerns after seeing this is that eventually I will want to get a setup whereby I can play FLAC files on a 7.1 stereo. Is there no standard channel ordering in FLAC files? Am I going to regret using it in all my encodes?
    Quote Quote  
  2. OK. Maybe the channels weren't messed up after all? I was testing the audio in winamp and it was awfully quiet despite having the volume way up... Played it in VLC and it appears to be fine... a bit quieter than the FLAC though.

Concerns still stand about the FLAC channel ordering though, since there's no official ordering listed in the spec for 7 and 8 channels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    One of my big concerns after seeing this is that eventually I will want to get a setup whereby I can play FLAC files on a 7.1 stereo. Is there no standard channel ordering in FLAC files? Am I going to regret using it in all my encodes?
    FLAC has always been overrated, so just forget it , use WavPack (with an up-to-date decoder) instead
    Quote Quote