VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    Passthroughs aren't recommended as this isn't what the camera was made to do.
    What is camera passthrough meant for then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't know. It's just what I've researched here and other places. You're probably better off finding another way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by zoobie
    Passthroughs aren't recommended as this isn't what the camera was made to do.

A sniper program is an auction tool that places last second bids for you. Search the web for "auction sniper".
    Thanks - have signed up for it

As for passthroughs - well one of the reasons I was considering the ADV55 was because using a DV camcorder wouldn't work for me since I have a large selection of both PAL and NTSC tapes I would want to convert. My current camcorder is a NTSC Hi8 which works fine (even after 12 years!). I now live in PAL country and I thought about getting a NTSC D8 camcorder so I could play my existing tapes and also do passthrough of my extensive NTSC selection. But there is no solution for my PAL tapes. The ADV55 would do that.

But as I noted before in an earlier post, experiences with a WinTV PCI card and a reasonably fast PC with a fast HD seems to be promising. Of course if the tapes are really bad not having a TBC might be an issue but most of my tapes are in reasonable shape (most recordings are first generation off TV)

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  4. Camera Pass thru works fine. However you may need to add an image stabilizer in between to get the best results. The point here is you can get a DV camcorder for as little as $200 now with pass thru and have the best of both worlds. I am not overly concerned about mpg2 capturing since this is a terrible format to edit videos with and bottom line when I am done editing I can then author and render it which usually gives better results. However, if I do want to encode directly to mpg2 I can do this with my AV Pyro in real time as well and yield good results.

Lastly, I did not realize that this post was drug up from the archives. I have an original post back in 2003 hehe with the same opinion.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dun4cheap
    Camera Pass thru works fine. However you may need to add an image stabilizer in between to get the best results.
    I'm always thinking high-end results but I basically agree. It's probably fine for low-end home editing results. Passing all that info thru your inexpensive camera will probably give you inexpensive results. Then you'll need your expensive TBC which kinda defeats the whole purpose. Most don't have any way to compare the output so it just goes as acceptable. My guess is that, if one could actually compare side by side, you'd see the quality difference much more clearly. But for the casual home user, it's probably fine...just not up to my personal standards.
    Quote Quote  
  6. zoobie said

I'm always thinking high-end results but I basically agree. It's probably fine for low-end home editing results.
    Well I am not sure I would consider the canopus advc-100, ATI Capture Card, Camera DV Pass thru professional tools. There is certainly better equipment on the market that would yield better quality then the devices that have been discussed in this particular thread. These devices are more consumer products then professional products.

Maybe a new thread should be started about professional hardware solutions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys,

Very informative and helpful.

I make videos for personal use and friends with Premiere Pro and wanted to be able to look into converting old analog footage into usable digital format. I researched several converters and considering my limited budget went with the ADVC 110 from Canopus.

Please tell me it will get the job done in terms of simply running a VHS VCR straight into my PC. Most people I spoke with said it would get the job done fine.

regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. It should do this just fine. Just remember the quality will not be anybetter than the source, so don't expect miracles. You can run it through filters.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks man.

I am not expecting anything too great, just want the footage in digital format as a means of doing something with it.

cheers
    Quote Quote