VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Circumstances require that we are staying somewhere other than home for a while.
    There is a Westinghouse TV here that we would like to watch some movies on.
    Problem is that this TV can only play M-JPEG videos.

When we try to play an avi file we get an incompatible file response.
    So, I snagged a copy of Movavi Video Converter.
    It tells me that the original avi is mpeg-4 video with ac3 audio.
    I converted it.
    It is now a mjpeg and mp3 avi.
    The TV still says the file is incompatible.
    Might I need a different codec, the TV's a piece of garbage, or...?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have any videos that the TV can play? Try encoding with similar settings: frame size, frame rate, same fourcc code, same container.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Sony TV could only play MPEG2 videos with MP2 audio in a TS or MPG. If your TV can only play MJPEG then it might only play PCM audio (just a guess), which is simply uncompressed audio. Do you have a model number?

As Jagabo said, if you know of a video/audio combo that works then try to replicate that combination.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No.
    The user manual for this TV is found here:
    westinghouseelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DWM50F3G1_UM.pdf

The USB Menu shows only two options - JPEG or M-JPEG.
    The M-JPEG option has only reacted to avi files so far.
    The only avi contents so far have been the two combinations described above.
    They both get the same reaction from the TV.
    The conversions from mpeg-4/ac3 to mjpeg/mp3 are very equivalent.

I have seen a possible firmware upgrade.
    This is not our TV and I do not want to have to replace it if a firmware upgrade goes badly.
    Plus, a cable connection to my PC is not convenient to make.
    I do not have all the extraneous cables and gear here that I would have at home.

We seem to have met all the requirements called for in the manual.
    That's why I'm hoping a different MJPEG codec might fix the problem.

EDIT:
    I will try a conversion with PCM audio.
    If my converter will do it.

RE EDIT:
    MJPEG/PCM is "Unsupported".
    Last edited by 1voyager1; 11th Jun 2018 at 02:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    There may indeed be small differences between the output of different MJPEG codecs. Special FourCC's, shared common or optimized Huffman tables, etc.

I believe you may rather enjoy a "media harddisk" like the WD-TV. It contains a decoder and media player for many modern formats. Just connect it to your TV set via HDMI or other TV typical connectors. And to fill its internal harddisk with movies, connect it to your PC via USB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just get a blu-ray player for $50 that plays the most newer files and forget about the outdated tv video options.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or a media player for less than $50 from Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or a Chromecast and cast from your PC for $35.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I can try to use ffmpeg but doubt if this have any sense - same as many before me strongly advise to use decent (cheap) multimedia player - you will be able to watch everything without conversion - consider your TV as large PC monitor that's all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I'm seeing on this TV it does not really seem to play any type of audio via USB. It just does JPEG and MJPEG. The only difference between JPEG and MJPEG, is that MJPEG is just a series of JPEG images played at a given rate. I would imagine the hardware used to decode JPEG images in the TV is simply also being used to decode MJPEG too. But since JPEG images don't require audio there is no audio decoding hardware included. So it doesn't seem like it will play any type of audio with the MJPEG. Getting a small addon HDMI media player is pretty much your only option and would be much more convenient to just play the original file than having to convert everything to MJPEG anyway. As MJPEG is ancient and inefficient.

Personally I use a standard Chromecast with the Chrome addon Videostream. Plex also supports Chromecast. The standard (non4k) Chromecast only supports H.264 and VP8 decoding on the stick, anything else will need to be converted to H.264 by Videostream or Plex. Which both services convert to automatically (if needed) but uses the host server/pc power to do it. There are dozens of other hardware options that support wider video format decoding built in but I have not looked around.
    Last edited by KarMa; 11th Jun 2018 at 05:20.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've seen at least seven fourcc codes associated with MJPEG: MJPG LJPG, MJLS, AVRN, MJPA, SP5X, AMVV. The TV's player is probably limited to SD resolutions. Try 640x480 or even 320x240. Try with no audio until you find what video properties will work. Then try different audio types. Most likely are PCM, MP2, and MP3. But you also have to consider sampling rate and number of audio channels too.

I agree with the others: it's easier to just buy a media player to connect to the TV. They start around US$30.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks anyway guys.
    I appreciate the help you've tried to give me.

It's not our TV.
    Using it is only a temporary situation.
    I'm not buying gear to be able to try making it functional.

She can get Nertflix , Prime and what ever else she uses on it.
    Thaty will have to do her until we leave here.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by 1voyager1 View Post
    She can get Nertflix , Prime...
    Using what? Built in apps? It seems unusual to me that a smart TV with built in Netflix and Prime apps can only play MJPEG AVI. If she uses something else for NetFlix/Prime (Roku?) maybe that will play media files.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by 1voyager1 View Post
    It's not our TV.
    Using it is only a temporary situation.
    I'm not buying gear to be able to try making it functional.
    Well for 35 - 50$ you buying gear that can't be taken by you and can be used in different places... no fuzz just plug-in and after all plug-out - modern multimedia players are so small that some of them are size of common flash thumbdrive .
    Quote Quote  
  15. You guys don't give up very easily do you?
    OK, in out temporary rental there is a Roku.
    At home she has Roku and Kodi.
    We don't do cable and haven't for years.
    Videos of almost every format can be played on our TV by USB.
    Sometimes a codec used for a video will not play.
    So, I recode it into the same format with a different codec, or change it into another format.
    That has always worked for me until now.

That system does not seem to work for this TV.
    Probably because it is an older model and not setup, for newer formats.

The only reason I wanted to try making it work is that we don't know how long we'll be here away from our home.
    We are hopefully only temporarily displaced by a volcanic eruption.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 1voyager1 View Post
    The only reason I wanted to try making it work is that we don't know how long we'll be here away from our home.
    I figured that this was the case. In your shoes, I wouldn't bother with buying a media player either. I sincerely hope that you will find your home is in good condition when this is all over.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by 1voyager1 View Post
    You guys don't give up very easily do you?
    Issue is that M-JPEG is not standard video codec - there is many variants of M-JPEG - some of them are proprietary extensions - for example ffmpeg is capable to produce 8,9,10 bit M-JPEG but 9 and 10 bit version is not standard... this is like chasing own tale... it is very difficult especially for situation like this - we don't have access to TV and you don't have experience with for example ffmpeg to try few tens combinations - i can provide you script - it is very simple but it is up to you to try it with TV.

Code:
    @ffmpeg -hide_banner -y -color_range 2 -i "%1" -sn -dn -c:a copy -color_range 2 -c:v mjpeg -pix_fmt yuvj420p -q:v 8 -vf scale=640:-2:sws_flags=spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int+full_chroma_inp:sws_dither=0:in_range=1:out_range=1 -f avi  "%~n1_.avi"
    Should work OK - audio codec is question mark... perhaps you should create only video first and if will work we can move to audio.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Is it really worth the time and effort to reencode a bunch of disks if you have 10 hours of video you need at least 10 hours to reencode these files... assuming 1:1 encoding time
    I think a cheap android box can play those files.. When you've moved back you can use it for your real TV..

Nothing wasted
    Quote Quote  
  19. MJPEG encoders are usually pretty fast. I just encoded a 704x416 Xvid/AC3 MKV file to MJPEG/AC3 AVI with VirtualDub and PicVideo's MJPEG encoder at about 800 fps. A 24 minute TV show encoded in less than 1 minute. And my computer's not especially fast -- i5 2500K. Of course, the OP will probably have to reencode the audio too, so it will take a little longer.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @1voyager1

Hope all goes well for you! Cares and prayers from a fellow kama'aina on Oahu.

Some Rokus (supposedly 3 and up) support screen mirroring for Android and Win 8.1+ . I have a Roku 1 and pretty sure I could stream from my PC with Mezzmo (prefer it over Plex). Of course Plex should work too.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. Brand newbie here, I googled 'tv only plays MPEG files' (via USB) and landed here.

I have the same problem as the OP. Not a huge issue really but I use Freemake (an old version as I REFUSE to upgrade to the crap it is now) to convert my files and they are always larger than the input file, sometimes double the size.

I attach the relevant details from my TV manual. Most of this is to me but I managed to gather enough info to convert into larger files, which are now eating up my HDD. Any advice?

[Attachment 45940 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks in advance.

Jo

AKA I am not a techie
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenClip.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	45941  

Last edited by thea-belle; 28th Jun 2018 at 10:58.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by thea-belle View Post
    Hi. Brand newbie here, I googled 'tv only plays MPEG files' (via USB) and landed here.

I have the same problem as the OP. Not a huge issue really but I use Freemake (an old version as I REFUSE to upgrade to the crap it is now) to convert my files and they are always larger than the input file, sometimes double the size.

I attach the relevant details from my TV manual. Most of this is to me but I managed to gather enough info to convert into larger files, which are now eating up my HDD. Any advice?
    Go for XVid - bitrate should be lower than MPEG-2 - personally i like ffmpeg but it may be not the best option for you (command-line but some GUI's exist)..
    Quote Quote