VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't help but notice the number of posts that clearly point to bad DVD media. If you look at the posts asking for help with a wide assortment of problems, it highlights just how big the problem is. The questions are never ending because the unsuspecting users don't instinctively correlate the problems they are seeing with bad media. This just underscores the fact there is a lot of junk media out there.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I agree a lot of media is iffy, part of the problem is that burner/media combinations are often hit or miss. Even first rate media like TY or Maxell has been known not to work in certain burners. I have seen a lot of people stress firmware - the part of the drive's memory that can be changed to recognize and handle certain types of media. That can make a difference.

The only thing for sure is that the better the media, the more likely it will work in your burner. However, all of us have cheap media that we love. In my Lite-On, Prodisc +R works like a dream, and I can get that at really reasonable prices. However, Ritek -R media gives my burner fits, even though it loves Ritek +R media.

I got a new Artec DVD Recorder (cheapie) that came with high class Mitsubishi Verbatim DVD+RW discs. They came out full of errors when I used them. I then got some cheapo Mitsumi branded Infodisc, and they work much better (although not perfectly). The recorder also has choked on my Imation/Richojpn +R discs, which work flawlessly in my DVD-writer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using various brands of better quality DVD-R media, at least 99% of those discs that I have burned with a Pioneer 107D verify and play back DVD video object files properly in the same Pioneer drive. The problem is obtaining DVD-R discs of consistant quality that when burned in DVD video format will play properly in standalone dvd players. Recently I bought 100 TYG02 discs through eBay that when burned play poorly in a good quality JVC player. By poorly, I mean that there is at least one noticeable stutter or instance of blocking during playback. Usually there are several places in the program playback where the video stream breaks down. I even tried recording at 2x without improved results.

This week I did something I never did before. I went to a real store, Best Buy, and for $20 bought 50 Fuji made in Japan discs for data or video. My reasoning is if the burns turn out poorly, then I will return the discs. Well the only burn attempted so far turned out fine. Maybe brick and mortar retail is the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. luigi, I'd be willing to bet that the discs you bought on Ebay were fake TY media. Fake TYG02 media coded discs are quite common lately, to be sure there's a way to look at what is printed in the center of the discs in small print - a search here or at cdfreaks.com and you should be able to find threads describing how to spot real vs. fake TY media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the real TY discs have a serial number embedded on the hub of the disc. this is what the manager of RIMA.COM told me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, my TY discs have the serial number in the hub. DVDInfo Pro reports the media as TYG02. Can the media info area be faked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rule of thumb never purchase dvd media from ebay.....cuz you never know what you're going to get.....there was a bad batch of ty media that peeps over at cdfreaks forum talked about a few months ago but it was discs bought from BEST BUY......you never know the person who sold it to you could have just dumped his bad ty media on to you...just speculating....

i suggest you purchase dvd media from rima.com if you want REAL TY MEDIA....i don't purchase from any other online retailer when it comes to TY media....my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    the real TY discs have a serial number embedded on the hub of the disc. this is what the manager of RIMA.COM told me
    Ding Dong !
    All discs have a serial number printed on the hub. My TY's seem to have one on the transparent hub (ending in 656CB), and two other sets just on the silver surface (GD000272) and a (0820)
    Quote Quote