VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I’m looking to digitize a personal collection of nearly 3000 tv shows. These DVDs are unedited DVD-R and include commercials, unwanted episodes of tv shows, etc. I’m looking for a program that will allow me to rip clips without having premade chapter breaks. For instance, something similar to what DVDshrink had where one could basically preview the dvd within the program and choose the start and stop time before converting. Does such a program exist that plays well with Windows 10? Thanks so much for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you hope to end up with? DVDs minus what you want to cut out? VobBlanker can do that. MPEG2Cut2 can as well, if you don't mind getting back an MPG. Neither will reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I want to move everything to a cloud based storage ... probably onedrive or something similar.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since they're not commercial DVDs, DVDShrink still works on Win10. I still use it since the majority of my DVDs are Asian which don't and rarely ever did have copy protection. The catch is that editing with DVDShink isn't frame accurate, which you can sometimes see while the video is running.

Neither DVDShrink or (looks like) VOBBlanker does file conversion/encoding to another format. What are you trying to convert to? You'll never get better quality than the mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 format your DVDs are in. If you're just looking for better compatibility, run your files through MakeMKV to put them intact into an .mkv container. I did a test for another thread and it takes less than 2 miins per disc on my I7 system. I'll leave it to other to recommend software for remuxing into an .mp4 container or encoding to another format since I have no need for either those.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lynnlee22 View Post
    I want to move everything to a cloud based storage ... probably onedrive or something similar.
    Hope you mean you're looking to create a copy on the cloud. Anything and everything worth saving requires 1-2-3/3-2-1 backup strategy. 3 copies of everything, ideally unedited/encoded, 2 copies onsite and 1 copy offsite, in your case cloud storage.

3000 TV shows is a lot, but hard drive space is at it's lowest price ever ~$15-20/TB in the U.S. I recently posted about my latest goof-up. 9TB of newly transferred video files to a new 12TB hard drive. Accidentally formatted the drive and had to start all over again. Fortunately, I had two just completed backups to two identical drives and all I lost was a day waiting for the re-transfer to the formatted drive to complete.
    Quote Quote