VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello,
    I'm looking for a way to denoise an old mono VHS audio layer as good as possible The audio has buzzing/humming noise and hiss. I'm looking for a good way
    to filter the buzz and hiss as much as possible without losing quality. I prefer using Adobe Audition 1.5 and 3.0. I also bought 2015 but never used it so can't tell if it does a better job
    What I tried so far:
    -Deleting the bar above in the spectral view: I didn't hear any difference.
    -Creating a fingerprint of the beginning of the audio where you can just hear the isolated hiss/buzzing/humming in different db versions +0db +10 +20 and loading that profile in the noise reduction menu and manually filter it
    Using the +10db version and setting the noise reduction level to 18 was the maximum I could do without losing quality. However you hear ugly clangor/artefact sounds which occur especially in scenes where the wind blows and those are very annoying.
    -Filter&EQ -> Notch Filter- I tried to get rid just of the buzz/humming with the notch filter with various settings in db at 50, 60 Hz and so on and so forth but it wasn't possible to get rid of it without destroying the audio quality.
    I don't know what to do and if there is a way to filter/denoise or noise reduce this one without creating weird background noise.
    I uploaded some samples here https://workupload.com/file/tjd5EY5xvaB

I would appreciate any help and thank you very much
    regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Audition is great for noise removal with the included plugins you've mentioned. Going to aggressive with the fingerprint noise reduction will introduce artifacts -- the bubbling, whooshing, nasty stuff. Go over each of the options and look them up in the Adobe help file -- the defaults aren't always best, so a few tweaks may get you some improvement.

Consider looking at Izotope's RX VST plugins. They're great in general but can also specifically target hiss, hum, crackle and voice clarity.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for your reply. Well I tried quite a lot in Audition 1.5 and 3.0 and wasn't really satisfied. I have to try 2015 to see if there is any improvement in the adaptive noise reduction algorithm. Thanks for the info on Izotope's RX. I might buy that and try it out. I googled it a bit and a lot of people were saying that it has a better algorithm than audition and is more suitable for the job. Do you think that the basic version for 30 bucks is enough or is it only possible with the 500 oder 1000 bucks version for use the greatest noise removal tools there ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
    thanks for your reply. Well I tried quite a lot in Audition 1.5 and 3.0 and wasn't really satisfied. I have to try 2015 to see if there is any improvement in the adaptive noise reduction algorithm. Thanks for the info on Izotope's RX. I might buy that and try it out. I googled it a bit and a lot of people were saying that it has a better algorithm than audition and is more suitable for the job. Do you think that the basic version for 30 bucks is enough or is it only possible with the 500 oder 1000 bucks version for use the greatest noise removal tools there ?
    The latest version of RX offers a free trial, give it a go
    Quote Quote