VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I hope you are well.

I am a complete newbie and I need to remove dog barking from audio which was recorded on a mobile phone. I've tried Audacity but with no luck.

Please could someone tell me how I can do this, the best software to use and what procedure.

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are a number of ways to approach it. But no one can tell you without a sample. Does the dog bark while someone is talking, is that why you want to get rid of it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi smrpix: yes that is exactly it. The dog is barking in the background whilst someone is talking. I can't upload a sample as the content contains very offensive language, the audio is a verbal attack from a neighbour against a disabled man. We are selling the video to a media agency who are going to publish it as part of the Nightmare Neighbours series, but we just need to reduce the dog barking so the spoken words by the suspect are clearer. I have just downloaded Adobe Audition. Alternatively, I am willing to pay someone if this is allowed on this forum.

I found a tutorial on Youtube about how to sample the dog barking in Audacity and remove it by selecting the whole audio, but this did not work.

The problem with the editing programmes I have downloaded so far is they do not expand out enough to cut out the dog barking. And I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Dorset22; 19th Jan 2021 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Dorset22 View Post

Please could someone tell me how I can do this, the best software to use and what procedure.

thank you
    Re-record the sample but this time with gaffer tape around the dogs mouth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doubt it is possible to recreate a captured live event, @codehound. Doubt the perp would like to oblige.

If it coincides with speaking, it would be near impossible to remove the dog bark without seriously compromising the speech. Lots of hours of effort with little to show. I used to do this 15 years ago, but my job has greatly changed and I have NO time for projects like this.

I suggest you give it to the media agency as-is. If they want a crack at it, it's their responsibility then. If you can recognize the offending language regardless, it probably can stand up on its own without change.

Gotta ask though: why are you SELLING it? Why not just offer it free out of a sense of decency?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I suggest you give it to the media agency as-is. If they want a crack at it, it's their responsibility then.
    Yes, exactly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. Spam

2. Don't give him/her false hope. There are very real physics constraints that cannot be bypassed.

Scott
    Quote Quote