VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,
    I have an mkv with Dolby Atmos audio. Can someone please describe the "easiest" way to extract each channel to a Mono Wav?
    Thanks,
    tarf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember that you will only get the basic flatbed 7.1 channels.
    Atmos data will be lost.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Remember that you will only get the basic flatbed 7.1 channels.
    Atmos data will be lost.
    I'm not sure what this means. The whole point is to hear what overhead data they added. Do you mean that's not possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. It's not, via extraction. To be converted to a standard (read: non-object-oriented) format, you would have to render it. (What you hear is what you get). Which requires an already Dolby Atmos-supporting system.
    And you had better render it using the layout you use in your listening environment otherwise the sound will be "off".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No. It's not, via extraction. To be converted to a standard (read: non-object-oriented) format, you would have to render it. (What you hear is what you get). Which requires an already Dolby Atmos-supporting system.
    And you had better render it using the layout you use in your listening environment otherwise the sound will be "off".

Scott
    Crap. I just was intrigued to hear how they mixed additional overhead
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The nature of Atmos, and DTS:X etc, is that it gives directions to the decoder on how to best place the sound object, DEPENDING on the chosen available speaker & room layout of the target system.
    Thus, if you have a 9.1.2 system, the decoder will spit the sounds out to be the best fit for that.
    If, OTOH, you only have a standard planar 5.1 system, the decoder will move the overhead-placed objects into such regular surround speakers as to be as close an approximate as can be done with that system. Probably, it might use some delays & eq tweaks (HRTF convolutions) to provide a phantom image that might convince some it is coming from overhead.
    Note that without a decoder, there is no "direction" to the sound objects, even if they could be extracted to their monophonic core elements.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The nature of Atmos, and DTS:X etc, is that it gives directions to the decoder on how to best place the sound object, DEPENDING on the chosen available speaker & room layout of the target system.
    Thus, if you have a 9.1.2 system, the decoder will spit the sounds out to be the best fit for that.
    If, OTOH, you only have a standard planar 5.1 system, the decoder will move the overhead-placed objects into such regular surround speakers as to be as close an approximate as can be done with that system. Probably, it might use some delays & eq tweaks (HRTF convolutions) to provide a phantom image that might convince some it is coming from overhead.
    Note that without a decoder, there is no "direction" to the sound objects, even if they could be extracted to their monophonic core elements.

Scott
    Thanks for the description. I think I kind of understand it better. I mistakenly thought it was similar to demuxing and analyzing a typical surround mix, merely with additional channels. Sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No problem.

Yeah, sound objects don't really use the channel paradigm, although if you wanted to think of them that way, the only appropriate way would be as multiple individual (multi-track) mono files, each with their panning being provided by metadata. That is in addition to the normal TrueHD base (which IS standard channel type).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem.

Yeah, sound objects don't really use the channel paradigm, although if you wanted to think of them that way, the only appropriate way would be as multiple individual (multi-track) mono files, each with their panning being provided by metadata. That is in addition to the normal TrueHD base (which IS standard channel type).

Scott
    Dang, that's definitely more complex than I imagined, lol
    On a different note, I remember when I used to chat with you about When a Stranger Calls, I think going all the way back to 2006! I discovered that Izotope really works wonders in efficiently being able to create a 5.1 from the Mono source. I'm blown away by what the Izotope products can do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wondering how this "object-based" coding works, actually. Taking a wild leap in the dark, could it be something like this?

As an example: take a basic sound (like from a helicopter or wind & rain), define it as "object X" and assign it's 3D movement (like XYZ vectoring) within a specific time-window?
    Maybe more knowledgeable people can say more/better about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's the gist of it.

Scott
    Quote Quote