VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to AVISynth and I am trying to test out a deinterlacer I found, named MSU Deinterlacer. Previously I have used Smart Deinterlacer with VirtualDub and AVIDemux, but MSU looks like it would work better. My main use for this is TV Tuner captures from an analog cable source. Mainly ice hockey games that I wish to archive.

My TV Tuner is a Hauppauge PVR-150. This card has a hardware Mpeg-2 Encoder, so everything is already encoded into Mpeg-2 (PS) right from the get-go. 720x480 resolution, 30fps, up to 10mbps CBR.

I have uploaded a 30-second sample clip here: http://www.360mods.net/hockey/test.zip

As you can see, interlacing has a huge effect on this type of footage, because of the fast motion and high contrast (dark sticks / players on white ice). Here is frame 500 of the above video:

I am trying to use AVISynth, MSU Deinterlacer filter, and Virtualdub to deinterlace the above video, and this is my sample script:

DirectShowSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\test.mpg")
    ConvertToYUY2()
    LoadPlugin("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\msu_fieldshiftfixer.dll" )
    AssumeFieldBased()
    MSU_FieldShiftFixer(1,0,0)
    ConvertToRGB24()

When I try this, the video just comes out the same, not deinterlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  2. MSU Deinterlacer is not one of the "popular" deinterlacers. You can use a smart deinterlacer like yadif. Avidemux has it built in the filters, so you don't even have to use a script.

If you wanted to use .avs scripts it might be something like this:

Code:
    Load_Stdcall_Plugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif.dll")
    DirectShowSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Textbook\Desktop\test.mpg")
    Yadif(order=1) #TFF
    And there is no need for several color conversions and subsequent quality loss, it's all yv12 (if you use "fast recompress" and .avs script in vdub)

Consider using DGMPGdec and MPEG2Source() instead of DirectShowSource(), because the latter isn't necessarily frame accurate, and subject to codec and filter conflicts on your system if your DirectShow filter chain is not "clean"

I don't use MSU Deinterlacer, so I'll leave the explanation of why your settings resulted in artifacts to one of the experts.

This is from the yadif script, the same frame 500. I didn't crop the edges, but you can tweak/edit it to your tastes
    Quote Quote  
  3. MSU_FieldShiftFixer() isn't a deinterlacer. It's for recombining fields of a progressive PAL source where the fields are paired out of phase.

You need a real deinterlacer like Yadif, TDeint, LeakKernelDeint, TempGaussMC_beta1, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My apologies folks, I was confused. I was using the field shift fixer and thought that was a deinterlacer. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I'll stick to yadif, smart deinterlacer, and other options. Thanks!
    Quote Quote