VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Guys,

I have the Optoma HD71 720p projector, but for some reason when I put in a blu ray in my ps3 (which is set to 720p) the quality looks the same as a regular dvd and I'm feeding the signal through the HDMI cable, any ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds as if the hdcp isn't fully speced on the projector. If it isn't fully hdcp then it gets downconverted to 720p.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm trying to get the blu ray to play at 720p, it says that it is when the ps3 loads the blu ray, but to me it looks exactly the same as a regular dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry I meant it would be downconverted to 480p which is dvd resolution not 720p. My mistake.

Check out your manual and find out if the hdmi on your projector supports hdcp.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah so.. what could I do to fix that ? I tried to change the sharpness of it and that didn't help much if thats what you mean.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PS3 doesn't looks any better on BR or regular DVD. As a matter of fact, it looks worse using a regular DVD movie.... the dark scenes are real dark, like black.

My HDTV upconverts from 1081 to 1080p, automatically. HDTV channels look good. I paid $300 to calibrate my new HDTV, but he wanted $450 to do it and I refused. He accepted $300..... but, deliberately sabataged my TV to screw it up. NO KIDDING. He set the grey scale to be awful.... dark scenes are now BLACK-outs with regular DVD movies, terrible.

So....... I don't know whats going on, anymore.
    Owner: Panasonic HDC-SD1 camcorder w/8gb SDHC card (AVCHD)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found the following info about the Optoma HD71 on the Optoma website:

# Native 720p (1280x720) resolution
    # Multiple HD inputs, including: HDMI v1.3, DVI w/HDCP and component

So based on that the HDMI should support HDCP since it is version 1.3 of the HDMI spec.

So I don't know what the problem is but that shouldn't be it ... unless it is a shit ass low quality HDMI cable (or one that is "bad" somehow). I think that unlikely although it could be the issue. I've heard some complaints here or there about low/bad quality HDMI cables.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the Sony PS3 manual: CLICK HERE

There are various settings for BD/DVD playback. These are found under SETTINGS and then under BD/DVD SETTINGS so double check the manual and make sure you have all that set up correctly. I admit some of it may not make sense without checking out the Sony PS3 manual (hence the link I provided). Also make sure you are running the most current Sony PS3 firmware which is currently version 2.10

Secondly make sure you have the projector set up correctly for 720p via HDMI (wouldn't hurt to double check the manual of the projector).

I have a 1080i capable 51" 16x9 HDTV (Hitachi CRT Rear Projection) and Blu-Ray looks damn impressive via my Sony PS3 using HDMI and the 1080i output setting. Granted you only have 720p but with a projector like the one you have I would imagine that you have a much bigger screen than mine (probably double or so I'm guessing) so the difference between 480p and 720p should be fairly obvious especially with a well mastered Blu-Ray as the source.

Good Luck !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses, I will update the firmware later and see if that makes a difference.

I checked out the manual of the projector and didn't see anywhere that allows me to configure the resolution of the HDMI input, so I'm assuming that it just takes the full 720p from the PS3.

Someone also suggested that it might be a bad cable, I'll try switching that too and see if it helps.
    Quote Quote