VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    As I mentioned in some previous thread, I find subscribing to the (free) mail-list at Giveaway Of The Day worth doing, even on the basis that they probably only offer something of interest to me about 1 day out of 30. Well, it looks like that one day for Feb. is today.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/exifcleaner-1-5/

There is even a portable version being offered. This is a topic most people are not even aware of, I suspect.

In the past, this site has gifted me with stuff like Womble DVD Wizard editor -- the becoming prior version, though still plenty good enough for me. (But if you snooze, you lose, as each GOTD is only until midnight of that day.) One or two items like that per year would more than make up for the dross that is on offer most days.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link and the program link. Didn't know about the info contained in many jpegs, etc. New world opens for me today...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    Didn't know about the info contained in many jpegs, etc.
    That's because JPEGs don't contain all of the information as stated in the software description.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Uhhh, yes they do. Maybe not every one, and maybe not including EVERY type of info, but many online JPEGs have many of those.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aware of since the first basic exif editor was created in linux but limited functions ...

If anyone needs one with full exif data editing capabilities, this one's freeware > EXIFeditor

As for removing exif data to save space which they report ... it's rubbish and nonsense ... and some tags should not be edited as these could cause problems with applications opening the files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Uhhh, yes they do. Maybe not every one, and maybe not including EVERY type of info, but many online JPEGs have many of those.
    That is EXACTLY what I said. My camera has no GPS inside it or attached to it, I don't have my camera set up to record my name or any kind of copyright info for each image, and I highly doubt my time-of-day is accurate at all(since I set it myself...I think). Most cameras do not have the ability to do many of the things the software manufacturer claim to remove from EXIF data so therefor it is mostly fear-mongering to paranoid, uneducated people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    ............................so therefor it is mostly fear-mongering to paranoid, uneducated people.
    That comment is so sad, makes me wonder who is who.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    ............................so therefor it is mostly fear-mongering to paranoid, uneducated people.
    There is no other possible explanation to the software's claim:
    ExifCleaner is a batch photographic utility that enables you to remove Exif tags, geotags, IPTC and Adobe XMP from JPEG images. This protects your privacy, helps you to hide unneeded, undesirable, or sometimes sensitive information – about the image, photographer and location. Did you know that every photo produced with a modern digital camera contains it?
    Fear-mongering nonsense....plain and simple. The blatant lie aspect of this quote should be a dead giveaway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm going to wrap my computer in aluminum foil so they can't spy on me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla View Post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ExifCleaner is a batch photographic utility that enables you to remove Exif tags, geotags, IPTC and Adobe XMP from JPEG images. This protects your privacy, helps you to hide unneeded, undesirable, or sometimes sensitive information – about the image, photographer and location. Did you know that every photo produced with a modern digital camera contains it?
    Fear-mongering nonsense....plain and simple. The blatant lie aspect of this quote should be a dead giveaway.
    Where's the blatant lie ???? Exif file does contain a bunch of stuff, I refer to it all the time, especially the date...
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I said. My camera has no GPS inside it or attached to it, I don't have my camera set up to record my name or any kind of copyright info for each image, and I highly doubt my time-of-day is accurate at all(since I set it myself...I think). Most cameras do not have the ability to do many of the things the software manufacturer claim to remove from EXIF data so therefor it is mostly fear-mongering to paranoid, uneducated people.
    Wait a minute -- you're talking about your standalone camera, right ? That's a very different kettle of fish. These days, most people probably take most snapshots with the camera in their phone. And a hell of a lot of cell phones -- such as the vast majority of smartphones -- now have a GPS in them, which is going to be ON by default. And they are oblivious to the very real security implications. So, go ahead and take those snaps of the kids in front of your mansion, and post them wherever . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Where's the blatant lie ???? Exif file does contain a bunch of stuff, I refer to it all the time, especially the date...
    Did you know that every photo produced with a modern digital camera contains geotags? - same paragraph, same "thought" according to all of my years of English class. It's a blatant, fear-mongering lie plain and simple.

And someone PLEASE show me the EXIF data of a cell phone JPEG that contains geotags(or GPS) data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Waste of my time .....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My phones GPS feature doesn't add exif data to the pictures when turned on, but it adds the city and state to the name of the jpg. My Canon camera has my name in the exif information, but only because I put it there. And that's more for security as far as my camera being stolen or misplaced than anything. All the other info in there, which are camera settings, I want there for reference. Have to agree with hech54. Fear-mongering all the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hech54 is correct. It's just a bunch of fear-mongering.

My $5k+ Nikon D3s doesn't even have GPS. That's an optional unit. Your cheap little P&S cameras and most cell phones sure as hell don't have GPS tags in EXIF if a $5k DSLR doesn't. And for the few cell phones that do have geotags AND store tags in EXIF (which is an even smaller number of camera phones), it's generally very inaccurate -- up to several miles.

A real photographer would never remove EXIF data -- it's good to know your shot settings.

Photoshop "save for web" removes EXIF anyway, for website images.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And someone PLEASE show me the EXIF data of a cell phone JPEG that contains geotags(or GPS) data.
    They're not actually lying. They say that "every photo produced with a modern digital camera contains it", where "it" is "EXIF data".
    Which is probably true. Date, time, shutter speed, etc.

And they give examples of what EXIF data might include.
    They don't actually say that every picture includes all that data; as you say, that is not true.
    But of course they imply that it might and so you should use their software to erase it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also batch convert using free s/w like Irfanview and Fastone and save as jpg without exif data........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    They don't actually say that every picture includes all that data; as you say, that is not true.
    Yes they do. Simple "English 101" tells us this in the definition of a paragraph.
    Paragraphs and Topic Sentences

A paragraph is a series of sentences that are organized and coherent, and are all related to a single topic. Almost every piece of writing you do that is longer than a few sentences should be organized into paragraphs. This is because paragraphs show a reader where the subdivisions of an essay begin and end, and thus help the reader see the organization of the essay and grasp its main points.
    Paragraphs can contain many different kinds of information. A paragraph could contain a series of brief examples or a single long illustration of a general point. It might describe a place, character, or process; narrate a series of events; compare or contrast two or more things; classify items into categories; or describe causes and effects. Regardless of the kind of information they contain, all paragraphs share certain characteristics. One of the most important of these is a topic sentence.
    http://www.indiana.edu/~wts/pamphlets/paragraphs.shtml

All of the software claims are included in ONE paragraph....therefor they ARE saying(or implying) that all EXIF data from ALL jpeg images contains ALL of the listed information. Read it again:
    The term "101":
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/101

basic, elementary knowledge; basic knowledge offered in course form
    Last edited by hech54; 27th Feb 2011 at 06:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hech54 ftw.

Paragraphs. Nice catch.
    I need to remember that more often.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I spoke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes they do. Simple "English 101" tells us this in the definition of a paragraph.
    So you just ignore all the conjunctions and qualifiers.

Don't worry, you'll learn about those in English 102.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Feel free to give everyone an example of these in the paragraph:

HINT: They would need to negate the last sentence. I'll even settle for one conjunction that negates the last sentence in the paragraph from the rest of the paragraph/claims.
    This video should help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkO87mkgcNo
    I hope it's not too advanced for you.

I'll even give you extra time to Google "negate".
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if the sales pitch for "ExifCleaner" wasn't misleading (which it is), why would anyone buy it for $15 when there are undoubtedly better freeware solutions which are readily available?

Instead of clowning around, why not just jump to the top of the pile and download ExifTool from this page? If you aren't comfortable with command line programs, also download the ExifToolGUI from the top post on this page.

For informational purposes, and since nobody else has posted an example image with gps data, here's one (from Flickr), as shown by "Jeffrey's Exif Viewer" web page (which uses the ExifTool library). If you scroll down, you can see a satellite picture of the theoretical location of the camera when the photo was taken. Since that location is about 15 meters from the closest shore on Lake Nelson, there appears to be some lack of accuracy...with the exact amount known only to the photographer who took the picture.

The reality (minus the ExifCleaner fear mongering) is metadata is a good thing, and serves a useful purpose. If you don't want metadata in your photos, it's easy (and free) to remove it. To be honest, almost anything you do to an original photo strips the metadata, unless you take steps to retain it.

If you are suffering from metadata privacy paranoia, just pop one of your photos into "Jeffrey's Exif Viewer" web page, and see what the metadata shows. In the extremely unlikely event it contains gps data, remove it. If your name is in the copyright field, and you don't like that, you shouldn't have put it in there...the camera surely doesn't get that information on its' own. If you changed your mind, just remove it with ExifTool(or ExifToolGUI)...or just re-save the image in just about any image editing program, which almost always will remove the metadata.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Feel free to give everyone an example of these in the paragraph:
    The whole point is that there ISN'T any connection between the sentences. There is only juxtaposition. Sure they imply that all this stuff is in your files, but they don't actually come out and say that. They're inviting you to draw a Non Sequitur, and you're falling for it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The whole point is that there ISN'T any connection between the sentences. There is only juxtaposition. Sure they imply that all this stuff is in your files, but they don't actually come out and say that. They're inviting you to draw a Non Sequitur, and you're falling for it.
    So you cannot provide any
    conjunctions and qualifiers..
    in that paragraph then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in that paragraph then?
    I'm sorry if this is too complex for you to follow.
    And now you're in "scoring points" mode so not not even trying to understand.
    So, this discussion is at an end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    in that paragraph then?
    I'm sorry if this is too complex for you to follow.
    And now you're in "scoring points" mode so not not even trying to understand.
    So, this discussion is at an end.
    So that is a "no" then....you cannot provide us with any conjunctions and qualifiers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't parse two sentences correctly, so it really is pointless.

And that really is my last word here.

Make whatever you like of it.
    Quote Quote