VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

Click station call sign to get grade B map.
    Hint- you can move the pointer in full zoom for different antenna locations but they don't have an antenna height variable. Sat view may have tighter zoom.

Use this with TVFool.com to get a clue for your location.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was very surprised to find that ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox are not available in my town of 75,000 people! There is only one local crap station in my area that plays old shows and cartoons that is digital. We the people used to own the airwaves, but they have been privatized. The cable and sat people will make a lot of money. I live near the Canadian boarder and Canada is not switching till Aug 2011. I bought a box to check out digitally recording broadcast signals and just playing around. It seems, the old analog signals were sent using repeaters to outlying areas. The repeaters have not been switched to digital and my not be for years if ever. This is no time to be poor. I read a story of a guy in NYC who was paying $260/mo for TV,phone,net. WOW!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobread
    I was very surprised to find that ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox are not available in my town of 75,000 people! There is only one local crap station in my area that plays old shows and cartoons that is digital. We the people used to own the airwaves, but they have been privatized. The cable and sat people will make a lot of money. I live near the Canadian boarder and Canada is not switching till Aug 2011. I bought a box to check out digitally recording broadcast signals and just playing around. It seems, the old analog signals were sent using repeaters to outlying areas. The repeaters have not been switched to digital and my not be for years if ever. This is no time to be poor. I read a story of a guy in NYC who was paying $260/mo for TV,phone,net. WOW!!!!!
    OK lets take this one by one.

1. Are you sure your micro location or the local area isn't served? Move the pointer around your town on the map to see if others get reception. You, like me, may live in a reception hole. Nobody owes you TV reception.

2. The fact that you currently receive analog by translators indicates your area was never served by direct broadcast. Find out who owns these translators and ask what they are doing. The gov't is funding front end digital reception for translators and extending digital requirements for rural areas. In other words you the user would see no difference (i.e. continued analog off the translator) if the translator owner has their act together.

3. If you are getting reception from Canada, that will continue. Continue to monitor what they are doing.

4. The public may "own" the airwaves but they rent them out. Telco pays the big bucks. TV broadcasters were forced by the public to abandon old channels, run dual digital/analog transmitters for 5 years, then change it all again to new equipment and channels for 17 Feb (now 12 June). For this the TV broadcasters were forgiven rent for their new channels.

You and your neighbors can start your own LP or Class A TV station. Organize for local funding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check www.tvfool.com to see what analog stations you will have post transition. They have a button for that, as well as digital.

Going a bit off-topic, while I was typing this, I watched the first local station make the big switch. They are running an analog night light educational segment. IMO running what I am watching earlier would have helped a great many people.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Check www.tvfool.com to see what analog stations you will have post transition. They have a button for that, as well as digital.

Going a bit off-topic, while I was typing this, I watched the first local station make the big switch. They are running an analog night light educational segment. IMO running what I am watching earlier would have helped a great many people.
    I wish I could watch the transition tonight. The only stations I can receive have already made the change (Redding-Chico) or are waiting (SF-Sacramento).
    Quote Quote