VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Passing along this post from NJRoadfan at digitalfaq.com

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597...rom-mitsubishi

"Its official, Mitsubishi is out of the optical media business. Whether or not this spells the end of high quality AZO dye media remains to be seen. The local Microcenter doesn't seem to stock it anymore, but blank media has been a shrinking market for awhile now."

Stock up now if you believe CMC won't continue to make the best generally available blank DVDs on the market.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is old news,was posted at least a month ago.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I missed the original post so I appreciate this "old" news.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    I missed the original post so I appreciate this "old" news.
    Me too. This is awful. The link in the first post is not working. Does this also include their Blu-ray blanks as well?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Anandtech
    CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality
    If Mitsubishi was making tons of money selling Verbatim discs they wouldn't have sold the brand. Without Mitsubishi's oversight CMC will look for ways to lower their manufacturing costs. The changes may not come right away but they there's no doubt that "Verbatim" will eventually become like all the other low quality brands.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks and I guess that answers my question about their Blu-ray media.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Anandtech
    CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality
    If Mitsubishi was making tons of money selling Verbatim discs they wouldn't have sold the brand. Without Mitsubishi's oversight CMC will look for ways to lower their manufacturing costs. The changes may not come right away but they there's no doubt that "Verbatim" will eventually become like all the other low quality brands.
    Yup. At this stage in the game is there anything decent left?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    I hardly ever use DVDR any more but I may buy a 50 or 100 pack before the decline starts. That will probably be a lifetime supply for me!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I hardly ever use DVDR any more but I may buy a 50 or 100 pack before the decline starts. That will probably be a lifetime supply for me!
    I just did exactly that. I have a couple of 100 disc Taiyo-Yuden cakeboxes left, and am down to only doing one 30-50 DVD project per year (the annual Nutcracker). I'll probably die holding the excess, but I'd rather do that than die trying to get good discs after they're all gone.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post

I really, really wish I could say that but it’s still opposite for me (would have to include bdr as well).

Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I just did exactly that. I have a couple of 100 disc Taiyo-Yuden cakeboxes left, and am down to only doing one 30-50 DVD project per year (the annual Nutcracker). I'll probably die holding the excess, but I'd rather do that than die trying to get good discs after they're all gone.
    In the same boat. I stocked up on Taiyo and still have over 2000 of them. Doubtful I will ever go through them all, but damn glad to have them.
    Quote Quote