VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey i just got an mp3/mp4 player and it only plays .smv files they didnt give me a converter or anywere to get one :evil: iv looked and looked but cant find 1 dose anyone know how to make these files :) :D
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That would be a strange player. But this link may help: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/37358

Those are apparently Smith Micro files for a VideoLink player.

The only other smv files I see are for the Super Nintendo system, but they don't seem to be video files, just data.

All that above may be totally wrong. You might want to go the the player manufacturers site and see what they say.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or save problems and return the thing if they don't at least give you a way to convert to what they support.

Or from MSI on this page http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/software/swr/spt_swr_list.php?kind=6

This tool can allow you to convert video file from general format to SMV format.
    Installation process:
    1.Please download and unzip this tool.
    2.Please execute "smv(en).msi" directly and it can be used.

It looks to be 4.66Mb, Hopefully it will do the job

This was my search term in Google.
    ".smv video files"

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it only plays smv files, then it isn't an mp4 player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow thanks dudes il try it out. but the last dude relly wasnt that usefull lol.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it works please post back so other will know what to do when the search. Good Luck

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I converted to smv files but on my MP3 player only saund appears without any view.Where is the problem?Do you have any idea
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What player? Model and manufacturer? Does it only play SMV files? I don't think anyone figured out what player the original poster had or if he ever got it to work.

But with more information, anything is possible.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My player supports only MP3,WMA,WAV,SMV & JPEG files.So I suppose it's MP3 player the model is M'Sonic MP-512F.But the problem is the same ..no picture appears only sound on my converted to SMV files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is a link to freeware that converts some video formats to smv :

http://www.trekstor.de/downloads/produkte/i-beat_pink/smv-transcoder-win-all_i-beat_pi..._v1-02_all.zip

easy to use but you may have to try out all the different settings before you find the one that works with your original video format and hardware.

I use a different version with this : http://www.machspeed.com/specs/mp3/onyx.htm
    video (smv), mp3, jpg, radio, txt and it records sound via external mike or direct from the radio.
    if only the screen was larger and it had more gigabytes.

You can download another version of the SMV convertor at the above machspeed link at the "Drivers" Link.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the problem for user XelesiA might be the (fps) not set to your mp3 player specs (ex. my coby mpc7097's specs are 15 fps at 128x128 i didn't set the video to be converted correctly so all i see is a black screen.)

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I need to convert a SMV to a movie file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arcsoft Media Converter for mpg, wmv, and avi to smv. I've used it for a few months, and it works nicely. My only complaint is that it converts the audio to pcm (wav) format, making the files larger than they "should" be.
    You can download it here. You have to register it, and the video size of the output file is 220x176. Overall, I can't fault it on my hardware. 1h45m movie conversion in 52 minutes @ 578mb.
    To the previous poster, I haven't found a player that will play the files back on a Windows PC or a Linux PC. I've also seen nothing that will convert smv to avi or mpg. Wish I could help.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw
    Well, I need to convert a SMV to a movie file.
    Regrettably, you're SOL, AFAIK. There are apps to go the other way (as others have pointed out here), but none that go from SMV to anything else. I've looked far and wide, and finally gave up. SMV is a proprietary kludge of SigmaTel (a multimedia chip manufacturer). The audio is recognizable as a Windows audio variant, but the video is evidently based on vector quantization (like Cinepak) for easy decode on CPU-challenged players. Many of these "MP4" video players are based on the 8-bit Z80 microprocessor from the late 1970s (!), and can't handle true MPEG video decode of any kind.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MP3 players mentioned above presumably play only music files ie wav, mp3, wma etc. I used smv files years ago - these are highly compressed video files, which I emailed to friends. I think the software that created them came with a video camera or a webcam, which means I probably still have it.... somewhere The software would produce a smv file, or an executable file for receipients that didn't own Vemplay (see below). There is a way to convert smv files to something else but you have to be a bit of a wizz and it is very involved. (google 'convert smv' and read, read, read). There are lots to convert TO smv, again - google (skip all the scammy download sites). I use to use a program called 'Vemplay' to watch my email video (attached for you) and there is also a player called Videolink Mail ?? No doubt others also. I hope this helps spmeone

vemplay.exe
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Further reading for those interested

videolinkmail.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am still confused why Philips chose this format and also, like a previous poster said, IT is quite lame that a video file has to be larger than it needs to be and use PCM Audio when the device can handle MP3.

Has anyone found a MEDIA PLAYER that will play this format? I also use the Philips Converter software from ArcSoft to convert to SMV, but i would like to check for "hiccups" in the video before i put in on my device. The funny thing about Arcsoft's converter, is i cant even play the SMV file inside the program after conversion, because no PC player can play this file. All very peculiar.
    Jonathan P Esker
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    smovies
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kingnat2 View Post
    wow thanks dudes il try it out. but the last dude relly wasnt that usefull lol.
    ignorant
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My 9 year old son got a Phillips GoGear Vibe MP3 player that also plays movies. No matter what file I put in the video file i would get a message stating that the file would be just stored on the device and would not be able to be seen in the video folder or played. I spent hours tracking down what video file would work and what decoder I could use.

This is what worked for me:

Get this converter - http://www.soft29.com/freeware/smv_converter.htm

I converted to a .smv file with a medium quality setting and a dimension of 128x128

During the conversion process a .audio and a .video file showed up in the output file directory, put then a file showed up as the name I specified with a .smv file extension. I moved this file to the video folder of the GoGear unit, and this time I got no cryptic messages and I played the video on the unit with no issues.

So after 3 hours of trying to get this to work ... my 9 year old son will be very happy.

Hope this will help someone else have an easier time of it.
    Quote Quote