VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hoping someone can help me "edit" the tags on my MP3 files......I have created a "favourites" folder to play via a USB stick in my car, which contains tracks from a host of MP3 albums, the problem is that each MP3 file has a tag containing its original album name/track number etc etc, so upsets the Cars audio file menu when searching for this particular album etc etc.

I am trying to EDIT the tags of all the different tracks and combine them into ONE SINGLE ALBUM tag...eg "FAVOURITES ALBUM". I would also like to re-number the tracks, as now there are several track 01's or 07's depending on what they have originally been tagged when on their original albums, but what i would like to try and do is number all the tracks differently eg. 0-50, as there are 50 tracks in the "favourites" album.

I have tried using a program called MP3 TAG, but cant seem to get it to do what I want. Obviousley I could right-click/edit name each track individually, but that would take ages......So if anyone can help me out it would be great CHEERS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    I have tried using a program called MP3 TAG, but cant seem to get it to do what I want. Obviousley I could right-click/edit name each track individually, but that would take ages......So if anyone can help me out it would be great CHEERS
    Then mark more than one? Too easy?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to sound nieve but how do I do that using MP3 TAG, I forgot to mention in the original post that the tracks also have the track number in their actual name tag ie 01.Stairway to Heaven, I need to remove that track number too.....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Sorry to sound nieve but how do I do that using MP3 TAG
    Like in Windows Explorer: hold down the left mouse button and drag it over all the files of the folder (or press CTRL+A). Then you can enter e.g. a new album tag on the left side for all of them.
    For the numbers go Tools->Auto-numbering wizard. (If you want to re-order them first, mark a track, hold ALT and drag&drop it with the mouse.)
    Then go Convert->Tag - Filename to create new filenames from the tags (thus getting rid of the old numbers in the file names).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you also want to check if your device doesn't display "album artist" where you want "artist" displayed. My Pioneer carradio does.
    A common nuisance then is that you get eg "va" or "various" in the artist-display if the track is from an album with various artists.
    You can easily change the "album artist" field with "Select All", go to Convert --> Tag - Tag. In the field enter "ALBUMARTIST". At the format string you choose "artist".
    Remember to first check if all tags are okay; the convertion tool relies on that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Sorry to sound nieve but how do I do that using MP3 TAG, I forgot to mention in the original post that the tracks also have the track number in their actual name tag ie 01.Stairway to Heaven, I need to remove that track number too.....
    Mp3tag is fairly versatile once you know your way around it. Have a look at this screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mp3tag_1362.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	44290

If you want to give each track the same Album name, click on a track and use Ctrl+A to highlight them all. The Album drop down box will probably now say "keep" or "blank" according to the way it's configured in preferences ("keep" means the Album field won't be changed while "blank" means it'll be cleared), but to give each track the same Album name, either select an existing one from the drop-down list or type in a new Album name on the right, then right click on any one of the selected tracks and select "save tag". Every track will now have the same Album name. Make sure the rest of the fields on the right are set to "keep" or "blank" according to whether you want to keep the existing field as it is or clear it, or type something new for those fields to apply it to every track. You can change the fields that appear on the right in Preferences, or you can right click on the highlighted files and select "extended tags" to edit them in a similar way.

Most of the fun stuff happens under the Convert & Actions menus, and can be applied to multiple tracks at the same time. You can copy the data between fields, copy text from the file names to fields, or use the data in the fields to rename files etc. There's existing actions or you can create new ones.o auto-number the tracks use Ctrl+K, which is a shortcut to the auto-numbering wizard under the tools menu.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please excuse my stupidity, Im a little confused......as above i have made a MP3 FOLDER from a multi disc CD, and now want to number the files as though they were in one album....for some reason they have been generated within the filename, so whatever I "Try" to do with mp3tag, I either loose info or swap things around. Basically im looking to rid the filename of the number as i have three 01. tracks in this new folder...

[Attachment 44396 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you do all this?
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Like in Windows Explorer: hold down the left mouse button and drag it over all the files of the folder (or press CTRL+A). Then you can enter e.g. a new album tag on the left side for all of them.
    For the numbers go Tools->Auto-numbering wizard. (If you want to re-order them first, mark a track, hold ALT and drag&drop it with the mouse.)
    Then go Convert->Tag - Filename to create new filenames from the tags (thus getting rid of the old numbers in the file names).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorted the numbering, and the new album tag, but I dont quite get the last part of creating new filenames from the tags......
    Quote Quote  
  10. So you already did "Tools"->"Auto-numbering wizard" and all files have new track numbers as tags? Yes?
    Then as next step you go "Convert"->"Tag - Filename". This means mp3tag will create new file names with the information from the tags using a certain pattern. E.g. "$num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%" will make mp3tag name the file according to track number - artist name - track title.
    Quote Quote