VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm absolutely useless at all of this - I'm trying to get some files to run on my Sony UDP-X800 UHD blu ray player but the audio on these files I've got is all crackly / distorted.

[Attachment 50361 - Click to enlarge]

I'm using MKVToolNix to try and understand the file types, is there a way to change the 8 channel audio to 6 channel (5.1) within this tool or do I need another piece of software to do this?

Many thanks!

2. is there a way to change the 8 channel audio to 6 channel (5.1) within this tool or do I need another piece of software to do this?
    mkvtoolnix is only for muxing and remuxing, it can't do any file conversion, so you will need another tool.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555

3. Ah ok, any recommendations? I have a feeling I'm going to have to end up doing some command line - in which case, I may aswell just pack up now haha.

4. A while back I had to convert 7.1 DTS to AAC (whatever would play flawlessly), and I noted this :
    Foobar2000 / qaac => 7.1 M4A file unreadable with VLC Media Player, played by SMPlayer but with a constant "whistling"[*], played correctly by FB2K
    ffmpeg / qaac => 5.1 M4A played correctly by all players
    eac3to / qaac => 7.1 M4A file unreadable with VLC Media Player, played by SMPlayer but with a constant "whistling"[*], played correctly by FB2K
    MeGUI / qaac => 2.0 M4A file with an erroneous playback duration (e.g. 27min instead of 7m15)

The command line (hope you've finished packing by now) for the ffmpeg / qaac conversion was (as a batch file so two percent signs required) :
    Code:
    FOR %%F in (*.dts) do "C:\Program Files\MeGUI_2507_x86\tools\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%%F" -f wav -acodec pcm_f32le - | "C:\Program Files\MeGUI_2507_x86\tools\qaac\qaac.exe" -V 82 -i --no-delay - -o "%%~nF.m4a"
    [*] I noted “sifflement omniprésent” in french, don't know if that translation is correct in that context.

-------

By the way, is it possible to convert 7.1 AAC to 5.1 AAC with no transcoding, or are all the channels encoded together in such a way that it's impossible to treat them separately ?
    Last edited by abolibibelot; 30th Sep 2019 at 11:24.

5. A lot to digest there - I'll hold back packing my bags while I read up on all of this over the next day or so inbetween work! Thank you very much for your reply and I'll let you know how I get on.

6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jezorama-please do not ask for help on illegally downloaded videos,this is against forum rules,this thread is closed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.