VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using the same settings I ripped movie A that ended up being 1.1 gig
    Then I ripped movie B that is 2.3 gig

movie A streams on my xbox 360 fine from BOTH my pc and NAS device
    movie B streams on my xbox 360 from my PC, but the 360 does NOT see it on the NAS device.

Any idea why that would be?

It's a WMV file (9, 5.1 audio)

Is there some size restriction on why the xbox won't even see this file on my NAS but sees it JUST fine on the PC?
    Quote Quote  
  2. FAt32 vs NTFS possibly? FAT32 max file size 2gb IIRC
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nup, FAT32 is 4GB limit (just under a DVD!)

But across a network connection you really only see a remote machine with a shared folder ... I don't think you can easily see what the other end is ... could easily be a Linux box running Samba (Windows sharing) on top of EXT4 filesystem!!!

Trevor
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's NTFS, just checked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What server stuff are you using? Are you using windows media player? Tversity?

Try a different server app - make sure media sharing is enabled on the pc if its got windows on it - go into windows media player to enable it.

Edit - also it doesn't matter what harddrive is it on a network situation. Only if its a usb harddrive hooked directly to the xbox. THen it needs to be mac hfs if you want full no file size restriction similar to ntfs. Fat32 is what you need otherwise then the 4gig restriction kicks in - again thats for physically connected usb drives only - it shouldn't affect streaming.

-@ the original poster - try burning your 2gig wmv file to a dvd and see if the 360 will play it locally in its own dvd tray. It could be something funny went on during encoding. If it plays on the 360 directly maybe there is some interupption on your network - are you downloading something over the same network while streaming? That might cause interruptions on a larger file....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a blackarmor ns 440

the funny thing is that the movie runs FINE FROM my pc (no nas) through the xbox, so the file is fine.

The NAS box has media sharing enabled and can stream just fine w/ the pc turned off.

There are no interruptions, it just won't see the file on the NAS device, but sees it just fine on the PC (where other movie files work on both just fine)

So it boils down to, with this movie file (2.2 gig) the xbox won't see it on the NAS, but it does on the PC.

So I'm stumped
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @mikemar - that is unusual. So the file is ok and the xbox plays it without the nas inbetween it and the pc.

I guess the only other option is to go back to the original source and try encoding to divx. That will work on the 360. It SHOULD work with ac3 5.1 - no guarentees about dts in divx - though the 360 does do dts passthrough so I guess it should do it.

Maybe you just have one of those "nothing we can do about it" situations. Seems like reencoding from the source is your best bet.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, guess it's one of those, oh well it doesn't work.

At least MOST movies work perfectly this way, it's just the 3 hour movies (not many) don't work.

Thanks everyone for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So new problem, not sure if this is the right forum at all (but you guys know your stuff)

I moved the xbox and nas to a different room, now my xbox only sees the old list, it will NOT refresh the list even though the nas and even pc don't have those files anymore.

any ideas?
    Quote Quote