VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello

i am noob at these stuffs so be patient with me

i have 55 inch sony led tv

when i download high quality movies such as 25 GB the movies comes with up down black bar as this this pic

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/5qK0467.jpg

its annoying but the quality is super

but download 8GB size fit and looks great too

same this pic
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/U63qIIJ.jpg

the bigger size is better quality where the both are great
    when i change ratio from my media player for the 25GB version it doesn't looks original stretch and expanding faces

i hope you got my point and thank you
    Last edited by ahmadss; 7th Dec 2014 at 11:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You are viewing the picture correctly as it is meant to be viewed. The movie's 2.35:1 aspect ratio is wider than your 16:9 tv.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    True. You have a few choices:
    a) Stop distorting the original video and view it the way it was created.
    b) Distort it and live with the results.
    c) Change the shape of your TV. Or buy a super-wide TV that can display 2.35:1 video without bars on a 2.35:1 display panel. They do sell them.

You can't fit a wide video into a narrow box without changing something or making a compromise. We hope you get our point.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys

looks i have no choice so i will view it as it

LMotlow can you tell me any tv model for example
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Philips made one. I don't know if they're still "new" on shelves. http://www.wired.com/2009/01/philips-extra-w/ . Today, most people would go for a projector setup with expensive super-wide projection lenses (which is, after all, what movie theaters used for super-wide films).

One problem, though. Anything that's not as wide as 2.35:1 (such as TV shows at 16:9, 4:3 classics, and 1.87:1 movies) will display with side pillars on a 2.35:1 TV screen. The TVs aren't really that aspect ratio anyway. For some reason they're 2.33:1, and some super wide movies are 2.39:1.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Alternatively, if you don't want to see the black bars you could get Disney duct tape and tape if off

Quote Quote  
  7. I think some TVs have a "zoom" function that'll let you zoom in till the picture fills the screen. It won't be stretched that way (assuming the zoom function only zooms) but you'll lose some of the picture off the sides of the screen. I know some people think it's a horrible thing to do, but I do it all the time and rarely feel like I'm missing anything. My PC's connected to my TV so I use MPC-HC to do the zooming (the "9" key on the numeric keypad zooms in, "1" zooms out and "5" resets it). My TV has a zoom function but it also stretches the picture a bit, so I don't use it.

There's always the option to compromise and not zoom in all the way, I guess. You could reduce the black bars a bit without losing as much picture off the sides.

A couple of screenshots of a video running fullscreen on my TV.

Normal aspect ratio:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	normal aspect ratio.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	29007

Zoomed in:

Name:	zoomed.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	29008
    Last edited by hello_hello; 7th Dec 2014 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Watchmen ultimate version?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes it is. How did you deduce it's the "ultimate version", or was it just a guess?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Dec 2014 at 13:08.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Cause I've seen the movie a few times and the guy with the comic is where the animated story starts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe 16:9 TV's need a bit of positive advertising to get around the general level of aspect ratio ignorance suffered by so many members of the public?

"And the Ajax TV features DynamicAspectRatio that guarantees you will see the movie just as it was shown in the Cinema with our dynamic border control. No more prematurely obese squished stars - see them as the actually appeared in your favorite movie."
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Leave it as it is, if for some reason you need to zoom in, use TV remotes, but they might zoom in rapidly, just to hide black bars (letterbox), so in that case you can use media player boxes (like WDTV Live and others) to play your content and zoom in in steps, where you can even settle with something in the middle, like your secong pic, so you'd compromise while watching something from a distance or with smaller screen. You can just zoom in a notch but not all the way.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think the Panoramic TV will do the trick just about right.
    Hope some day they make bigger one's 85"+ Flat ...no the curved garbage.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It is more a mind problem using 50-55" TV's, those black bars, screen is big enough for those 2.40:1 aspect ratio, but our mind could tell us that something is missing there because of those black bars ...., and we think we are free spirit people, but that little amount of solid matter in our head tells us what to think most of the time ...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    All this widescreen stuff it's not for humans just for snakes and funerals.

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    It is more a mind problem using 50-55" TV's, those black bars, screen is big enough for those 2.40:1 aspect ratio, but our mind could tell us that something is missing there because of those black bars ...., and we think we are free spirit people, but that little amount of solid matter in our head tells us what to think most of the time ...
    For those of us with Plasma TVs, watching a lot of wider than 16:9 aspect ratio video might age the screen unevenly. For 4:3 you can usually put the TV in 4:3 mode and make the pillarboxing some flavour of grey rather than black, but there's no way to do the same for widescreen video.

If I do watch a widescreen movie, when I go back to something 16:9, I can see two faint lines where the picture ended in the previous video and the black borders began. Mind you, that's probably just some sort of temporary "burn-in" as they don't take long to disappear.

Anyway..... that's part of my motivation for zooming in when watching movies, although I prefer to fill the screen. It's very rare I find myself thinking I'm missing out because the sides of the picture have been cropped. Very occasionally some of the credits might get cut off, but that's about it. In fact, I think even that tends to only happen when playing older movies. Mostly, everything important seems to be contained within a 16:9 frame, even the credits. I suspect these days movies would mostly be shot while keeping in mind they'll eventually be broadcast in a 16:9 aspect ratio over free to air TV etc.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Dec 2014 at 22:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I would not let my mind slipping too much into territory that I cannot enjoy 2.40:1 because it burns plasma unevenly, I have plasma also, I let it "burn in" for more than 200hours after purchase , let's leave aside, if that helps or not, it gave me placebo effect that I did whatever I could and then just "abusing" it with whatever content now, with lots of old TV shows with 4:3 as well, having grayish bars, again, throwing that "placebo" calming effect to my mind that I did whatever I could and it is fine ...
    Last edited by _Al_; 9th Dec 2014 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I suspect these days movies would mostly be shot while keeping in mind they'll eventually be broadcast in a 16:9 aspect ratio over free to air TV etc.
    I hope not.

Any director worth his creative salt would be offended.

Last edited by newpball; 9th Dec 2014 at 09:49.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    I suspect these days movies would mostly be shot while keeping in mind they'll eventually be broadcast in a 16:9 aspect ratio over free to air TV etc.
    I hope not.

Actually, James Cameron has always shot with multiple aspect ratios in mind, as has Christopher Nolan.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    ... shot with multiple aspect ratios in mind
    How do you do that?
    Or does that simply mean make a composition framed at the most profitable aspect ratio and use the rest as some kind of filler?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Cameron's the most interesting case because he uses different parts of the negative, so the 16:9 version of Titanic often shows more information at the top and bottom of the frame than the "correct" 2.35:1 version. No version uses the entire negative. It's called "super 35" although actual film is not used so much anymore. If you can find a 4:3 version of "The Abyss" you'll see a lot more of the picture than you saw in the theatre.

Pixar and Disney will actually modify the composition of characters and backgrounds to accommodate widescreen, scope and (decreasingly) fullscreen versions of digital animation.

Unfortunately, in many cases, for budgetary not creative reasons, the image is simply "protected" as you suggest
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If, like me, you need the subtitles, when zooming in, quite often, you will lose them at the bottom. This can be fixed, tho.

-c-

(folks here clued me in about fixing this, thanx)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I hope not.

Wouldn't that mean the director's electing to offend himself?

Honestly, if I found myself regularly thinking I'm missing out by zooming in I wouldn't do it, but about the only time I think about it is on the odd occasion the credits are cut off a little.

For 4:3 video I've come to realise the "need to see" stuff is generally centred a bit higher than the middle of the frame, rather than being centred at the errr..... centre..... which means you can even get away with zooming 4:3 video to fill a 16:9 screen if you also move the picture down a bit. That way the bottom is cropped more than the top.

Something like this:

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	29028

Instead of this:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	29029

Sure, it's more likely some of the credits will be missing and it's a tad prone to cutting off the tops of peoples heads, or once in a while you might only see the top half of someone's head because they're in the lower part of the frame, but most of the time I can watch 4:3 video that way from start to finish and forget it's not really 16:9. Sometimes there might be one or two moments during a TV show where something's cut off enough to remind me it's really 4:3, but when it only happens now and then and the benefit is being able to fill the whole screen with picture, I can live with that.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 10th Dec 2014 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!