I did not find this mentioned anywhere else in the forum, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I am using ffmpegX 0.0.9L. The error occurs when doing three-pass encoding into AVI (mencoder) and utilizing the ffmpegX process queue. What happens is the following. The first pass of the first movie encodes the audio for the first movie. The process is then sent to the Progress Application for the remaining two passes. At this time the ffmpegX application is freed up to begin the first pass for the second movie encode. Up until this point everything is fine. Watching the partial AVI file for the first movie's 2nd pass has the correct audio. The problem occurs when this first movie's 2nd pass has ended. By this time the second movie's 1st pass (audio encode) has been completed. When the first movie begins its 3rd and final pass it replaces the correct audio track it had with the 2nd pass with the second movie's newly encoded audio. The second movie then goes through its final two passes and comes out correct. End result - both movies have the second movie's audio track. My settings are as follows:

Video - MPEG4 [.AVI] (mencoder)
Audio - .MP3, 128kbit/s, 48000 Hz, Stereo, CBR, +4 Audio gain
Filters - none
Options - High Quality, Use B-frames, 4 motion vectors, Three-pass encoding, Trellis quantization, bilinear scaling, RD ME function, keyframe 240, QMin 2, QMax 10
Tools - keep elementary streams

I have been able to repeat this problem transcoding old mpeg1 files I have to avi and also encoding two DVDs to .avi.

And as a curiousity question, the ffmpegx online help (thanks major!) mentions that the Quarter pixel ME (qpel) Option does not work with some players... has anyone tried it with VLC?

Thanks!
Dave

PowerMac G4 Cube 450 MHz, OS 10.3.4, 120 GB, 1.25GB RAM, Combo, NVidia GeForce3, iSight, 20" Cinema, ffmpegX 0.0.9L