VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I've rendered an image sequence with a framerate of 25fps in 3d studio max. Now i want to go into after effects and burn a blu ray disc with encore. It seems to work fine however i still got some problems due to interlacing i think.

I pressume my image sequence from 3ds max is 25p. However the project settings of ecore only allow PAL 25i at full HD.

Can anyone please give me some advice on how to handle this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just encode as 25 fps interlaced. The only issue you should have is a little smearing of the colors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think you only have 2 choices.

1) Use standard definition size (720x480) which allows interlaced video, but only at 50 fps. You'll have to double your frame rate. This can easily be done in AviSynth. No promises about how it will look, but it's easy to double the frame rate. Doubling the frame rate on interlaced video might produce motion artifacts - I'm not sure.
    2) Use 1080i in your project. 720 video MUST be progressive for BluRay. 1080 and standard definition (at double the frame rate - 50 fps) are the only things that allow interlaced video. 1080i is OK at 25 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies. I decided to take the 1080 25i approach.

In after effects i exported mpeg2 blu ray and h264 blu ray with upper and lower fields. I imported these 4 files into encore and tested them with the 25i setting. I also did tests with several bitrates.

The export out of after effects containing a house in a forest environment looks fine when played on my pc. But when played on the HDTV and blu ray player the leaves (details) flicker and when the camera gets around a wall the playback seems to have some delay. I guess at this point there's much to compress for the codec?

Does anyone recognise these symptoms and do you have a solution?
    Quote Quote  
  5. What are you watching on? An interlaced TV? That might explain the flickering, but encoding progressive wouldn't help in that situation.

You shouldn't see any slowing down during high bitrate sections unless you have an underpowered decoder or too much bitrate for the media. If you exceed ~10 mb/s on DVD you might have trouble.
    Quote Quote