VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have done a lot of reading here, but still not sure what most would consider best practice doing this. I capture lossless using a Newtek VT5 system and clean up the file and adjust audio to -12db. I then render that out to uncompressed AVI to encode to MP4. I like to deinterlace and double the frame rate. To me that makes the video play much smoother if there is a lot of movement. I had done several tapes and rendered to 720x480. I noticed in playing back in the VLC media player that if you switch between default aspect ratio and 4:3 that the screen is slighted expanded horizontally in the default mode. It seems that resizing to 960x720 may be better as someone mentioned on here. That gives true 4:3 ratio and plays back without any issues. Also, at this size if you upload to YouTube the double frame rate doesn't change, at 480 it will change back to 29.97. To me it seems that would be a plus especially with any fast movement in the video. Just wondering about others opinions. Unfortunately, to make the MP4 this way I'm going to have to re-encode about 40 video's. Luckily, I still have most of the uncompressed files backed up.

More and more people are wanting MP4 instead of DVD's. I want to make sure I do it right. I like DVD better since you can have a menu, but it seems that technology is going to fade away also.

Thanks for any input,
    Marty
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    960x720 makes no sense, Besides resizing 480 to 720 horizontally will hurt the video. If youtube is the aim, deinterlace and crop to 704x480 then resize to 1440x1080 and encode to h.264 from there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As I understand it youtube will not (re)encode at 60 fps unless you upload 1080p or more. That's why your 720p videos are encoded at 30 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the reply’s. Dellsam34, if never going to YouTube, would you still resize to 1440x1080 or just encode at 720x480 or more preferably crop to 704x480 deinterlaced and double frame rate? I would think resizing is probably doing more harm than good if never going to YouTube. Encoding for DVD is much more straight forward than for MP4 in my opinion.

Thanks again,
    Marty
    Quote Quote  
  5. YouTube does HFR on every resolution higher than 480p (720p,1080p...). It does however reencode every video you upload onto that platform
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MDavis75 View Post
    Thanks for the reply’s. Dellsam34, if never going to YouTube, would you still resize to 1440x1080 or just encode at 720x480 or more preferably crop to 704x480 deinterlaced and double frame rate? I would think resizing is probably doing more harm than good if never going to YouTube. Encoding for DVD is much more straight forward than for MP4 in my opinion.

Thanks again,
    Marty
    Resizing to a bigger resolution such as 1080 does less harm than a far less resolution, however it will still have the SD video quality. What I would suggest is keep the master files and make a playback version by de-interlacing, cropping, resizing to 1440x1080 and encoding to h.264, This will be compatible with most TVs and devices on the market today.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    This will lower the video quality. If you absolutely must, it is best to 1280x720, but only with filters that improve quality (yadif deinterlace, denoise, sharpen etc.). Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    720 vs 1080 after encoding to h.264 have almost same size, So why resize to 720 and have worse quality vs resizing to 1080. In addition to that the TV's have to do another hardware resize on the fly during playback to 1080 or double that if the TV is 4K. As I always say 720 doesn't make any sense anymore since no native 720 panels are being made. It was a cheap trick back in the day to do progressive for sporting events since camcorders processors back then were not capable of doing 1080p yet, It should never have stuck around when 1080p became available shortly after.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    If they are of the same size, 720p will be of better quality then because it is less compressed. You can't fool the compressor, 1080p is 2x more data.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    720 vs 1080 after encoding to h.264 have almost same size, So why resize to 720 and have worse quality vs resizing to 1080. In addition to that the TV's have to do another hardware resize on the fly during playback to 1080 or double that if the TV is 4K. As I always say 720 doesn't make any sense anymore since no native 720 panels are being made. It was a cheap trick back in the day to do progressive for sporting events since camcorders processors back then were not capable of doing 1080p yet, It should never have stuck around when 1080p became available shortly after.
    Hmmm..., I would bet there are still more TV sets around which can play 720p50/60 and 1080i25/30, but NOT 1080p50/60. Not everyone buys a new TV every other year.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Hmmmmm, Some people still have the Nipkow TV 32x32 pixels, does that mean it is a standard that I have to worry about in 2022? We are talking about the majority of TV sets available which is HD/4K. The subject is future proofing not pleasing everyone on the planet.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    The subject is future proofing
    you can't future proof sd video.

I noticed in playing back in the VLC media player that if you switch between default aspect ratio and 4:3 that the screen is slighted expanded horizontally in the default mode
    tell the viewer to change aspect ratio for best viewing

at this size if you upload to YouTube the double frame rate doesn't change, at 480 it will change back to 29.97
    either upres to 720p or use an html5 player on your own server.

More and more people are wanting MP4 instead of DVD's. I want to make sure I do it right. I like DVD better since you can have a menu, but it seems that technology is going to fade away also.
    streaming is in, with downloads a far distant 2nd. No one (millions) care about menus since the complex ones require an expert in photoshop and graphic design.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post

you can't future proof sd video.
    Off course we can, We've already done it, Watching 40's, 50's, 60's 70's videos on today's TV's. Footages that moved across several video formats throughout the years and they can go for as long as we want them to go, If that's not future proofing I don't know what you call it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    or use an html5 player on your own server.
    Your multiple recent suggestions to use HTML5 are obnoxious. That's not video, or a video format. That's an entirely different discussion about how/where to host video. It never has anything to do with the actual conversation.

Stay on topic.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote