VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Question1) Will this card let me capture both the HD video as well as the DTS 5.1 audio?

Question2) Whats the software (that comes with the card) like? Decent enough to remove commercials with or re-encode to DVD?

What I want to do is capture sporting events and encode them to XViD (XBMC for playback) while keepting intact the DTS soundtrack. AutoGK has that option.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry but I can not answer your specific questions because I do not have a MyHD card but I was looking into one a short time back. What stopped me from getting an HD card is that they will only cap HD from Over the Air or if they have QAM and your TV provider has QAM. One other problem is that much of the non OTA HD is encrypted, not all, but more and more of it is.

Directly from the MyHD website:
    Q. Can I record cable or satellite HD programs?
    A. No for MDP-100 and 120, see addition for the MDP-130 below. All HDTV cards "stores" high-def signals in their raw data form and decodes the signal during playback. Since Cable and Satellite services do not use 8VSB modulation, their signals require dedicated tuners, and once decoded, cannot be routed to the input of the HDTV PC cards.

MDP-130 includes a QAM capable tuner that allows you to tune unencrypted HDTV signals from your cable service. The MDP-130 is connected to the coaxial connection directly to the RF input of the card much like tuning for over-the-air service. Unencrypted HDTV generally consists of the local broadcasts (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS) which are sent in the clear as mandated by the FCC for all cable services and does not include any of the premium services which require a cable box provided by the cable service. Output from the cable box via Component or DVI/HDMI output cannot be captured by the MDP-130 or any other consumer device on the market today.
    My suggestion is for you to make sure that your source for HD will in fact work with what ever HD card you get.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well the plan is to record HD off the broadcast feed, I have a 50 mile range UHF antenna currecntly connected to my Samsung HD tuner.

Im currently capturing via s-video into my ati all in wonder card. It provides decent HDTV rip quality (480i resolution?), however I would prefer to capture the 5.1 feed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OTA stuff in my area is pretty good at times but it can also be lousy at times. No way to predict when it will be good. I was using an OTA HD reciever and 'S' video to ADVC100. I got pretty frustrated with inconsistent broadcasts. Sometimes the quality was great but there were audio drop outs every 30secs or so, or there would be a large pixelated area somewhere in the picture or they would forget to go back to HD after a SD commerical ect....

I now cap HD as SD using 'S' video with my PVR250. The 'S' video comes out of my cablebox. It is SD but the quality is pretty good. Still occassionally have the same issues as OTA but not as frequent.

Maybe I should revisit the MyHD thing.

Good luck!
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by elister
    Question1) Will this card let me capture both the HD video as well as the DTS 5.1 audio?
    I have been using both MyHD and HiDTV tuner cards for several years. Both cards record OTA digital transport streams at the rate of 19.4Mb/sec or 8.6MB/hour. The transport streams contain video and DTS 5.1 audio data.

Originally Posted by elister
    Question2) Whats the software (that comes with the card) like? Decent enough to remove commercials with or re-encode to DVD?
    The card does not include any such software. I use "HDTVtoMPEG2" to edit commercials and it works really well. I save recordings in transport stream format so I can play the recordings (with MyHD or HiDTV cards) in original HDTV resolution.

What I want to do is capture sporting events and encode them to XViD (XBMC for playback) while keepting intact the DTS soundtrack. AutoGK has that option.
    I am not familiar with XViD but assume that this would allow you to preserve the full HDTV resolution. If not, all the effort to translate and re-encode would not be worth it to me.

DonP
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by HiDefDon
    I have been using both MyHD and HiDTV tuner cards for several years. Both cards record OTA digital transport streams at the rate of 19.4Mb/sec or 8.6MB/hour. The transport streams contain video and DTS 5.1 audio data.
    Excellent, thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to confirm.

Now if only the powers that be would broadcast local sports on local channels (seems like almost everything is on cable now).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HiDefDon
    Excellent, thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to confirm.

Now if only the powers that be would broadcast local sports on local channels (seems like almost everything is on cable now).
    Before you jump too high with joy, the key here is to target a MPeg2_TS stream for storage and HD playback. If your goal is to downscale for normal DVD you are in for an eternity ( http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=eternity ) of computation and you will only do this for special events.

Somebody needs to make a PCI transcoder card to do this in hardware.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bits
    It is SD but the quality is pretty good. Still occassionally have the same issues as OTA but not as frequent.

Maybe I should revisit the MyHD thing.
    It helps to have a good antenna. I live right in the middle of a broadcast triangle. One is 2 miles north, one is 1 mile to the east and one is 30 freaking miles west in the middle of nowhere. Since purchasing a DB4 antenna (which was overkill) from antennasdirect, I have found that most of the major broadcast 'hiccups' were the fault of the broadcaster.

Ive watched a few NFL games that had major problems with the reception when it was just fine prior to the game. But after halftime, just as the 3rd quarter is about to start, the reception seems to un-f**k itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a pair of "Rabbit Ears" indoors and usually get very strong signals, although I live in the big city. I have a MYHD MDP 120 and it is great. 10% CPU utilization when it is recording

edTV is right about the time it takes to convert HD to DVD. It's pretty fast with 720p material (LOST takes 5 hrs to resize on my POS 2.4GHZ P4). 1080i material is slowwwwww to convert. The Olympics take a long time to resize.

Here's an example of a 720p to 480p transcode. Looks pretty decent.

ex1.avi xvid
    Quote Quote  
  10. So it doesnt matter what software you use, the whole downsizing process (720p to 480p) will take alot of time.

Does AutoGK support multiple CPUs (Dual Core/ Dual Proc).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One way to speed it up is to use a dual cpu version of Xvid and avisynth. Once you figure it out, you can use the same script file for most of your 1080i and 720p captures. But I don't think that's been incorporated into AutoGK

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=100766

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94996

Another option is to use an old or low end PC as a dedicated encoding machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16856110032
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820221010
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103424
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152021
    ~$300
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok, so what software should I use for time recordings?

My ATI card came with an app that allowed me to do it. Did a quick search, SageTV doesnt support this card, and MythTV is for Linux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MyHD comes with a timer that integrates with Titan TV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    I use a pair of "Rabbit Ears" indoors and usually get very strong signals, although I live in the big city. I have a MYHD MDP 120 and it is great. 10% CPU utilization when it is recording

edTV is right about the time it takes to convert HD to DVD. It's pretty fast with 720p material (LOST takes 5 hrs to resize on my POS 2.4GHZ P4). 1080i material is slowwwwww to convert. The Olympics take a long time to resize.

Here's an example of a 720p to 480p transcode. Looks pretty decent.

ex1.avi xvid
    Hey guy ... I've got the MyHD MDP-130 ... I've only had it a few days and I want to get the most from it .... I've figured out ... finally how to record "tp" videos .... but that ... avi ... video you have there ... did that come from HDTV to tp to mpg to avi ........ or did it come from tp to avi .... what program accepts tp ... to be converted to AVI

Thank you ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An easy to use app to convert .TP Mpeg2 transport stream files to Xvid is

http://users.bigpond.net.au/nexx1/dvbmenc/dvbmenc_beta0.1h_resizeable.zip

Also Download

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/MPlayer-mingw32-dev-CVS-050928.zip

Put all the executables in the same folder and run Dvbmenc. Be sure to set your cropping to "Light".

Another option is AutoGK, which works pretty well too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    MyHD comes with a timer that integrates with Titan TV
    Really? Mine doesnt. Ive tried BeyondTV and SageTV, neither work. Now before I install Windows XP Media Center Edition, can someone tell me if thats going to work with the MDP-100?

EDIT: NM, I just ran the updated drivers, it appears I can time record shows now. Thank you all for the advice and links.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok, one last question. Specifically for Seattle folks.

Ive come to understand that when you capture a ts stream, your basically capturing the main channel plus any other sub channels that get broadcast along with it. So in order to capture a show on PBS's main HD channel (KCTS-DT5) I have to capture KCTS-DT1 and then seperate it using HDTVtoMpeg2. So even though I cannot see the program, I know its being captured.

I am curious though, my Samsung HD Tuner has no problem picking KCPQ-DT (FOX), but MyHD cannot find it. Im using the same UHF Antenna splitting the cable with a 130db 5-1000mhz Y Splitter (this is what the local cable company uses). I get FOX on my 30" HDTV, yet nothing on my PC.

Same with UPN and WB. Samsung tuner picks them up, MyHD does not. ABC, NBC, CBS & PBS are the only channels I able to tune into with this card.

Is this a problem with the MDP-100 or is there some trick to getting the card to tune into these channels?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    elister - If you don't get an answer here, search first, then post your question over at avsforum.com. They've got some threads devoted specifically to the MyHD line of cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Is this a problem with the MDP-100 or is there some trick to getting the card to tune into these channels?
    Here are you DT channel sources from http://www.antennaweb.org/
    Put your own address in to get your compass orientations.

Note the "frequency assignments" at the right. Those are the actual channel numbers. The "n.n" designations are a proxy.

Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by edDV

Here are you DT channel sources from http://www.antennaweb.org/
    Put your own address in to get your compass orientations.

Note the "frequency assignments" at the right. Those are the actual channel numbers. The "n.n" designations are a proxy.
    Yeah ive been aware of Antennaweb for a while now, thats what I use as a guide when tuning my other set top HD Tuner. I am manually tuning to the proper UHF channel and I get nothing. Im also using a DB4 antenna from antennasdirect.com, which is overkill for picking up FOX as its the only station thats 20+ miles out, all other stations are within a 3-5 mile range.

Looking at the Macro Image website, their technical support section consists of an online user manual, an FAQ and software drivers. Man, I think I just pissed away 130$ I feel like a jerk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    elister,

If you scan in the HD channels, the MyHD card will skip the weaker signals even thou they are watchable. You can enter them in manually. In the Channel Setting menu, check 'Enable Virtual Channel Mode' which will give the sub-channels. Then enter the chan# (HD chan) and select Digital for the Mode then click ADD.

If you just want to capture the sub-channel, goto Config Panel/Capture/Detail-Options and check 'Capture Sub-channel only'.

Regards,

Chas
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hey guess what everyone? Im an impatient ******* moron!

For some reason, a few channels just need to sit there for a minute or two before they actually decode or whatever. I dont know why, maybe its a problem with the MDP-100 series. I can now get FOX and a few other channels that didnt want to tune in.

EdTV, Megahurtz, Soopafresh, HiDefDon. Big thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok, this should hopefully be my last question.

How do I force MyHD to capture at 480p? On the AV panel, theres an option for resolution, no matter what option I choose, it will capture at 1080i. Capture option is set to capture transport stream with the video size set to 720x480.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    elister,

The AV panel is for display output.

You can capture 480i by choosing a SD sub-channel. The .tp flle size will be about 1/4 the size of a HD sub-channel. Use HDTVtoMpeg2 to convert to mpeg.

Be sure to check the 'Capture Sub-channel only' option as I mentioned above.

Does your channel list show sub-channels?

Regards,

Chas
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Megahurts
    Yes, however the only problem with this is that not every station multi casts in SD. Local NBC has its main channel, yet its multi cast is a local 24 hour weather channel. ABC has no multi cast (used to be ABC World News Now), CBS multi casts a 24 hour shot of the local airport.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Megahurts
    Yes, however the only problem with this is that not every station multi casts in SD. Local NBC has its main channel, yet its multi cast is a local 24 hour weather channel. ABC has no multi cast (used to be ABC World News Now), CBS multi casts a 24 hour shot of the local airport.
    Today the 480i offering is on the analog channel for most TV stations. The DTV station is usually broadcasting an upscaled or true 1080i/720p HD plus a weather or news subchannel*. When analog is shut off, you will see most DTV stations broadcast a 1080i or 720p HDTV channel and a 480i SD subchannel with the same programming.

All the 4:3 classic analog TV people will be tuning the 480i subchannel (mostly letterboxed or centered).

*PBS is the exception, they usually split into 4-5 SD channels during the day and switch to one HD plus one or two SD in the evening.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This may be exageration on my part, but..

You can almost tell if a source is 1080i or what-have-you, just by
    looking at how clean and sharp the video is. There are certain aspects
    I can't explain at this time, that hdtv sources extrudes during viewing.
    And you can get a sense of this by observing a given capture video
    source. Like I said, I can't explain it at this time. Perhaps at a
    later date, when I have had the time to further examine this theory.

But, fwiw..

When I (finally) came across a PBS station that my hdtv receiver could
    receive, I was almost blown away at the (shall I say) infinate clarity
    of the video on my LCD monitor. They were airing a widescreen program
    I can't remember today. But it was IMHO, distinguishable from other
    channels airing that night.

If you've been in the "video capturing" arena for as long as I have, you
    might share with me, what I just described above. Otherwise..

-vhelp 3811
    Quote Quote  
  29. So what do you guys actually use to edit out commercials with?

Mpeg2Schnitt completely destroys the video stream and TMPGEnc MPEG Editor destroys the audio. I really dont want to re-install Adobe Premier, it was never really good with mpeg to begin with. I dont have much trouble editing the HD stream, but it takes half the day just to re-encode it down to 640x480.

I understand that I can cause problems with the audio if I dont cut out the comercials at the right time, but this is not the case. I put in the cut points just as its about to fade and after it comes back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use HDTV2MPEG2 and I think you owe us all a beer.

But why are you capping HDTV if you want 640x480? Are you trying to win some best 640x480 contest?
    Quote Quote