VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I am trying to increase my knowledge about x264. On some x264 files I find information about format settings GOP in Mediainfo,
    for example: Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=56

I understand the principle of GOP as described here: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/GOP.html ,
    and also how to set the GOP size in an x264 file.

What is this format setting and why doesn't it show on all x264 files?

Any reply greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. in x264 you use -b or --bframes to specify the number of consecutive b-frames, -I or --keyint to indicate the maximum GOP size.

Other programs you use M and N where M is the size of BP groups and N is the number of BP groups and I frames per GOP.

M=1, N=5 --> I P P P P - I P P P P
    M=2, N=5 --> I BP BP BP BP - I BP BP BP BP
    M=3, N=3 --> I BBP BBP - I BBP BBP
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th May 2011 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use Format Factory to convert my Video Files to other files.
    Now I no all Retail DVDs are Interlace because they are for NTSC USA TVs.
    This is what I did I Decrypted my Buck Rogers DVDs and they are from the 1970's TV show.

Then I use Format Factory to convert the VOB files to MP4 and put them on my media player that has a 5. inch screen and it works good.
    Now when I convert the VOB files to MP4 I have 2. option Interlace and De Interlace I set Interlace to OFF and I set De Interlace to OFF and they play great on my Media Player.

My Media Player is the Mach Speed Trio 5000 and it has an LCD screen.
    And I right that LCD screen do not use Interlace and they do not use De Interlace?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo: thank you very much for your reply. Much appeciated
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    in x264 you use -b or --bframes to specify the number of consecutive b-frames, -I or --keyint to indicate the maximum GOP size.

Other programs you use M and N where M is the size of BP groups and N is the number of BP groups and I frames per GOP.

M=1, N=5 --> I P P P P - I P P P P
    M=2, N=5 --> I BP BP BP BP - I BP BP BP BP
    M=3, N=3 --> I BBP BBP - I BBP BBP
    Should N not be 9 and 7 respectively for the 2nd. and 3rd. line examples ? or is it that there are two different ways to represent the same GOP.

I’m trying to establish for certain that the non B frames gop is indeed called M = 1, thanks for any input to this.
    Quote Quote