VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear
    I have a Samsung Smart TV ue48h6200 & Sony Airplay/Lan/audio Jack Speakers Sony RDP-X700IP (1x) & SA-N310 (2x) and wish to improve audio from my TV to these speakers.
    Is this possible with a HDMI or Toslink converter or other options ?
    Thanks
    Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guatelize View Post
    Dear
    I have a Samsung Smart TV ue48h6200 & Sony Airplay/Lan/audio Jack Speakers Sony RDP-X700IP (1x) & SA-N310 (2x) and wish to improve audio from my TV to these speakers.
    Is this possible with a HDMI or Toslink converter or other options ?
    Thanks
    Oliver
    The only audio input options available for both Airplay speakers are Airplay and a stereo mini jack. Which did you want to use?

There is probably a way to connect the TV to the stereo mini jack using cables and various adapters.

If you want to use Airplay to transmit audio output from the TV, I did some looking around, and it appears that there is no such thing as an HDMI or Toslink to Airplay transmitter. The advice I have seen elsewhere is that the audio source needs to be connected to a Mac or maybe an iPad, which then transmits the signal to the Airplay speakers through your home WiFi network. That seems a bit awkward.

[Edit] The Sony SA-N310 speakers are DLNA devices, but based on what I've seen on a relative's 2015 Samsung smart TV, newer Samsung Smart TVs don't use DLNA to connect to speakers. Bluetooth is the only wireless technology available for connecting speakers.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Nov 2015 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.

I did not connect them yet, what is the best suggestion to connect the external speakers to my TV :

HDMI (arc) or Toslink splitter/converter to speakers stereo mini jack or does it harm my TV headphone-pluq to connect my speakers with the mini jack ?
    Do I need an amplifier ?

Sending you attached pictures from my back of the TV & Speakers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung TV eu48 image.jpg
Views:	18161
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	34314

Name:	Sony-RDP-X700IP-Speaker-Dock-005.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	489.7 KB
ID:	34313

Name:	Sony SA-N310.JPG
Views:	2208
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	34315

Thanks
    Regards
    Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  4. Headphone Out on TV to Audio In on speakers is easiest. But you will only get stereo.

I open my TVs up and disconnect the speakers (they are almost always use spade connectors so it's just a matter of unplugging them) and run wires to external unpowered stereo speakers.

For example, you can get a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T15-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B002RJLHB8/

for about US$50. They sound way better than speakers on any flat screen TV.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Nov 2015 at 08:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the support, do I need an amplifier to improve the sound ?
    Regards
    Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by guatelize View Post
    Thanks for the support, do I need an amplifier to improve the sound ?
    Usually not. The problem with flat panel TV speakers is that the drivers have to be small and they can't face forward (if you want a thin bezel around the panel). Low frequencies need larger drivers and higher frequencies are directional so they need to point at the listener. If you want really loud sound you need an external amp. If you want really low, room rumbling bass you need BIG speakers.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Nov 2015 at 09:21.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks, I think I will stay on the simple stereo mini jack (less wiring), my speakers are already AC powered and hope will give a good quality sound.
    Regards
    Olivier
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony RDP-X700IP and SA-NS310 speakers have their own volume control, so they are amplified.

I connected the headphone out on a Samsung LCD TV to my PC speakers and it worked. I suspect the headphone out from the TV would also work for you. The speakers are probably designed so that they can be connected with mobile devices that just have a headphone jack.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, thanks, I will try it.
    Regards
    Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  10. The powered Sony speakers will almost certainly sound better than the TVs internal speakers. If you have speakers connected to your computer you might be able to borrow the cable from that. If you have to buy a cable it's only a few dollars.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks all for your help, it works perfect, I can even control the sound volume from my TV remote.
    Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  12. Is the sound much better?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, much better, I've watched the Walking Dead and the sound was amazing
    but I Have another question, why are my TV speakers not working anymore with the headphone plug connected to my external speakers, can I change that to have both working together ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by guatelize View Post
    why are my TV speakers not working anymore with the headphone plug connected to my external speakers
    Because the point of using headphones is to provide audio only to the headphones. Pretty much every device shuts off its internal speakers when headphones are plugged in.

can I change that to have both working together ?
    Probably not using the headphone output. If you use the digital audio output and a digital to analog audio converter you can probably leave the TV's speakers active. But I don't think you really want the TV's crappy audio polluting the cleaner sound from the Sony system.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Understood, thanks for your information.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    why are my TV speakers not working anymore with the headphone plug connected to my external speakers
    Because the point of using headphones is to provide audio only to the headphones. Pretty much every device shuts off its internal speakers when headphones are plugged in.

can I change that to have both working together ?
    Probably not using the headphone output. If you use the digital audio output and a digital to analog audio converter you can probably leave the TV's speakers active. But I don't think you really want the TV's crappy audio polluting the cleaner sound from the Sony system.
    Sorry for intruding here but you seems to have sound knowledge regarding speakers so i am asking this here.

Can i play Movie via LED TV's USB port and connect TOSLINK cable from TV to DVD Player (Home Theater) and have sound from speakers??
    Quote Quote