VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am quite new to all this, I am in the UK and i am looking for a dvd player that ssupports divx and xvid files. I saw on a previous topic (quite old) that the Biostek XS360 was a favourite but looking around it looks like they have stopped making it.
    Could you please help me out and guide me towards some good players pleeaseee?

Thanks

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Philips makes a variety of players that support Divx and Xvid and are fairly cheap. Do note that we're getting more reports about North American models that no longer can be made region free, so be aware that if you buy a Philips you may (or may not) have problems making it region free, should that appeal to you.

The following sticky lists things that may be problems for Divx/Xvid playback on DVD players.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    Even if you buy a player that supports Divx/Xvid, some of the things in that list may prevent your player from playing the files, so you can't just assume every Divx/Xvid file you have will play unless you are sure that none of the files have any of these potential problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm looking for the same thing but I'm in the USA. I had 2 Philips 642 and they both died after 6 months. Any other good options besides Philips? I hope I'm not hijacking I was going to start the same topic.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy latest PHILIPS 5986..
    I have bought this...
    Simply awesome performance!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by limpy
    I'm looking for the same thing but I'm in the USA. I had 2 Philips 642 and they both died after 6 months. Any other good options besides Philips? I hope I'm not hijacking I was going to start the same topic.
    I feel your pain.The 624 is a PS mine didn't last 6 month,but I bought the 5990 few months ago from wal-mart(EASY RETURN) for $59 looks and feel a lot better than the 642 +USB 2.0

if money isn't an issue get the Oppo .$169.99 Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-DV-980H-Up-Converting-Universal-Player/dp/B000UIA6YM/ref=pd...3948507&sr=8-1

Pioneer DV-410V-K $89.00

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DV-410V-K-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B0014UOJM0/ref=sr_1_...3948784&sr=1-1

Best way To keep it from over heating .keep the DVD in a ventilated area
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The old 642 was poorly made, but mine is almost 4 years old and still working. Assuming you got one of the ones that was made correctly, you need to be sure that you have plenty of free air around the player so it can air cool. This player in particular was prone to damage from heat buildup.
    In fact, it's good advice for any DVD player to put it in a place with good air circulation.
    Quote Quote