VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to rip and convert The wire season 2 into mp4 to play on my roku 3 but I'm having problems creating a smooth video file...

I've ripped the episodes into mkv using makemkv But I'm getting interlaced lines on motion, I've then gone on to convert the mkv files into mp4 using handbrake which fixes the lines issue but Now the video isn't smooth, its become jerky...mostly noticeable when the camera is panning.

I have tried changing the Frame rate settings in handbrake to..same as source, or 25, 30 etc but the result is always the same - jerky video playback!

This is so frustrating! is it even possible to convert a Interlaced 25 fps PAL DVD into a smooth MP4 file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

Why are you re-encoding lossy MPEG2 ? As this series was originally produced on film and modified for PAL 25FPS playback, then further modified for NTSC playback, ilol effects are no surprise. Likely your software has deinterlaced a telecined original, which is a no-no. Other than that, no one could say much without a short sample of the video.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 06:33.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have to re-encode the mkv that makemkv created from the original dvd to MP4 (H.264) so my roku 3 will play it via a usb drive or so i can use direct play with plex to my roku 3.

This is the only tv show I've had problems with thus far,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What you are using for a player is another matter. What you describe is a deinterlace problem, not a codec or container problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok well what software would you advice i use to rip and encode this series from DVD to Mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't rip copyrighted material, but DVDFab is usually recommended for decrypting MPEG2 (i.e., DVD) to MPEG onto a computer. How that resulting video is structured (interlace, telecine, etc.) will require one of several converters and processing apps. One would have to know the nature of the decrypted source to be more specific.
    Quote Quote  
  7. mpeg2 inside an MKV seems to be a bit "iffy" at times when it comes to converting it. Handbrake may deal with it fine (this case might be an isolated problem) but as a general rule I remux mpeg2 MKVs as TS files (with tsmuxer) before converting them.
    Admittedly I don't use Handbrake, I use MeGUI, which in turn uses different utilities to do the work "behind the scenes" than Hanbrake does, so changing the container before encoding mightn't make any difference, but it can't hurt to try.

Which Handbrake preset are you using? Is de-interlacing (or Decomb) enabled? For some reason they're enabled for some presets but not others. Try encoding with de-interlacing enabled instead of Decomb.

PS Assuming the video is interlaced, try enabling the de-interlacing filter (not decomb) and set the output frame rate to 50fps instead of 25fps. The latter should look a lot smoother on playback, it tends to produce less de-interlacing artefacts, and if you're using CRF encoding it doesn't increase the file size all that much compared to 25fps. You'd only want to use 50fps when de-interlacing PAL video. For progressive PAL it's best to stick to the original frame rate (usually 25fps). Oh..... and it might pay to run a test encode to see if your player is happy with higher frame rates.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I had this exact problem trying to rip some Doctor Who (Classic) PAL DVDs. I always use the decomb setting on default but the resulting video seemed jerky, like it was dropping frames. I only noticed after comparing it to the original.

I changed the default Decomb setting to BOB, and it seems to have resolved the issue. If anyone is still having this problem, give that a try and let me know if it was successful.

So far I have only come across this problem with PAL WHO discs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi there.

I have a few episodes of "The Practice" that someone ripped from an interlaced PAL dvd at 25 fps, and the playback is also very jerky. But these dvdrips are all I have, I can't undo them to de-interlace and convert them to 50fps.

Is there a way to fix a badly ripped file?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Nico Darko View Post

Is there a way to fix a badly ripped file?
    You've already been told 'no'. You realize you're reopening a three year old thread, don't you?

What's being described above is field-blending to convert from NTSC to PAL. It's commonly done. The blending can be undone using some AviSynth filters. That's if you have the original untouched DVD. Which you don't have. Once it's been deinterlaced the way yours has, it's game over.
    Quote Quote