VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. first off I'm a dvd ripping newbie so please give me a break and go easy

I'm trying to rip my collection of fraisier dvd's. The show was originally 24fps film. When it plays in a regular dvd player or in wmp on my pc off the disc it is very clearly playing as a 24fps movie normally would. It looks totally good , no interlacing , no jaggid edges , totally fine. The dvd itself plays perfect.

Now give me a break here I'll describe this as best as I can....

When I rip it with any ripping software (I've tried 5 different free rippers) it exports a file that is 29.97p. However , ever 3 frames or so it is interlaced. From what I understand this is 3:2 pull down. The order of the 3:2 pull down is changing in every camera cut in a scene in the show.

When I try to deinterlace with the ripping software , it blends the frames , which looks awful.
    When I try reducing the framerate to 23.97, it still shows the interlacing
    When I try reducing the framerate to 23.97 and deinterlacing , it blends the frames and plays back at more of a 18-20fps

So the ripper can't seem to rip it exactly as it plays , so from here I try to fix the 29.97p file in after effects or premiere

In after effects , I can make it so a single shot in a scene is deinterlaced correctly , but obviously when the camera changes it is no longer correct anymore.

In premiere , I can get it so EVERY scene is properly deinterlaced and playing at the correct 23.97 fps , however , the quality is compromised and has a (no antialiasing) effect on all diagonal lines.

I know my knowledge is limited on the subject but this is what I think is happening.....

I think the 3:2 pull down keeps changing sequence and I simply need a way to rip it where the actual ripper can deinterlace the footage the exact same way that the normal dvd player would.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by emosun View Post
    When I rip it with any ripping software (I've tried 5 different free rippers) it exports a file that is 29.97p.
    Because that's what it is. All NTSC DVDs output interlaced 29.97fps (more accurately, 59.94 fields per second).

As for the rest of it, you're using the wrong tools for the job. If you want to encode it as progressive 23.976fps, please tell us what the final format is to be so we can suggest something. A short sample from the source might help, too.

I think the 3:2 pull down keeps changing sequence and I simply need a way to rip it where the actual ripper can deinterlace the footage the exact same way that the normal dvd player would.
    It was probably edited as video so the cadence changes from time to time. It needs to be run through a good AviSynth IVTC, most likely. Again, a short 10 second untouched sample - one showing steady movement - will tell the tale.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Frasier was shot on film. But a lot of such material on DVD is made from studio video tape, not by going back to the film. So you probably have hard 3:2 pulldown. Try using Handbrake to perform the inverse telecine back to film frames. Enable Filters -> Detelecine -> Default (others off). Set Video Framerate -> Constant Framerate, 23.976.

Of course, AviSynth is the best solution but it has a steep learning curve.

One other thing: opening titles and closing credits may have been overlaid after the video was telecined. So they may not match the body of the video. Ie, you may not be able to have smooth credits along with the rest of the show without resorting to variable frames rates or bobbing to 59.94 fps. The latter can be done with Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ok i tried using handbrake with the settings you suggested. but the encode tried to go through but just ends up spitting out a single 2kb file that of course isn't playable
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    1) Use makemkv to rip the episodes
    2) Feed those resulting titleXX.mkv files into Handbrake with the suggested settings.
    3) Obtain finished product and enjoy.

It really should be that simple if all you're trying to do is IVTC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    1) Use makemkv to rip the episodes
    2) Feed those resulting titleXX.mkv files into Handbrake with the suggested settings.
    3) Obtain finished product and enjoy.

It really should be that simple if all you're trying to do is IVTC.
    this worked

i already had make mkv on my machine and i dont know why it didnt initially work , I think it was becuase make mkv was making interlaced files that couldn't deinterlace properly in adobe or VLC so I didn't bother to keep using it. But after copying them with make mkv , and using the above setting with handbrake , they now play perfect at 23.97fps with no interlacing and no jagged edges or flickering horizontal lines.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    All NTSC DVDs output interlaced 29.97fps (more accurately, 59.94 fields per second).

this also helped massively.

when i was ripping with dvd fab 9 I selected "use original frame rate" , the file it would make was a 29.97p file. so I assumed that what the dvd was. and it would make sense that fraiser , a show that only exceeds 24fps during the opening credits wouldn't be much higher than 29.97fps.

but it's actually 59.94 fields like you said. once I figured that out it made much more sense why the dvd fab files were so weird and out of order , becuase they were weird and out of order becuase they were being ripped wrong. lol
    Quote Quote  
  7. According to IMDB Frasier was shot on film. So you might be better off restoring the original 23.976 progressive FPS film frames.

Note that the "output" from DVD is always 59.94 fields per second. But what's stored on the disc can be 29.97 fps interlaced (or hard telecined), or any progressive frame rate from 19.98 fps to 29.97 fps with pulldown flags.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    According to IMDB Frasier was shot on film. So you might be better off restoring the original 23.976 progressive FPS film frames.

Note that the "output" from DVD is always 59.94 fields per second. But what's stored on the disc can be 29.97 fps interlaced (or hard telecined), or any progressive frame rate from 19.98 fps to 29.97 fps with pulldown flags.
    uh huh
    Quote Quote