VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking to get a DVD burner and am looking at deciding between the Pioneer (106) and the Plextor (708) +/- writers.

I am primarily looking to buy this for data backup, but some time down the road I'm sure I'll want the DVD Video functionality as well. But its primary function is data backup.

I am looking for something that is reliable. I have heard nothing but great things about the Pioneer. I haven't heard anything bad about the Plextor, but just not as much good stuff as I have about the Pioneer.

Is the Plextor every bit as reliable as the Pioneer? I have heard nothing bad about either, but simply a great deal greater volume of good about the Pioneer.

I have also heard that the Roxio software that comes with the Plextor sucks. I have heard Nero is much better. I am no9t planning on spending $100 on software right now so I'm probably sticking with whatever comes in the box for now. Is the cheap version of Nero with the Pioneer better than the Roxio software with the Plextor?

If Pioneer is a more reliable buy (and/or the software is better), is it worth waiting for the 8x Pioneer that is supposed to come out this month (right?)?

Anyway, what do you think based on what I've said? The Pioneer or the Plextor?

Comments much appreciated. I'm looking to buy soon.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I spent a week trying to decide the same thing and ultimately went with the Pioneer A06 (retail version of 106). I based my decision on the following points in the order of importance:
    (1) money difference (about $50-70)
    (2) Vast amount of positive remarks about the Pioneer
    (3) Nero express with Pioneer
    (4) likelyhood of dual layer burners in the very near future and wanting to save money for a dual layer later on (maybe!)
    Quote Quote  
  3. i returned the lite-on for the plextor and am very happy so far. excellent burner.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can't speak for the DVD burners, since I found a TDK one for a great price I ended up with it.. but the CD burner from Plextor I bought a long time ago was super reliable and highly accurate on data extraction. I wanted to wait and buy the 8x Plextor, because I know it will rock.. but two things dictated that... 1. I knew that there was hardly any 8x DVD-r/rw, DVD+r/rw disc, so the speed didn't matter at the time. 2. I couldn't wait to start backing up my own disc, since I already ruined one by dropping it on the ground one day.. But maybe someone can find a good review or something that can give us a better idea of how it stacks up against some of the others...
    Quote Quote  
  5. NEC ND-1300a or it's clone in the form of the Iomega unit which has a $30 rebate if you buy it by Nov. 22. search the discounts sites...friend just got his from a site for $113 (retail box!) before the rebate! shipping was $15 for 2nd day delivery. still $98 is a great buy for a ND-1300a. ihave it and it is a great, reliable burner. good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get the Memorex DVD writer. It is the best and works with all the media best. Also use Memorex media. It is the best.
    Quote Quote  
  7. EH memorex the best?
    I cant use memorex at all and many who have the LG products cant either.

Not big issue here:
    You might look into DVD-RAM as a backup format. If you need to change something in your disk, all you have to do is change that file.

Its a little hard to find, but its out there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I hazzard a guess and say that the Pioneer(s) 103/104/105/106 are the best seeling DVD writers. Unless another make is a lot chaeper Id stick with Pioneer, Ive had no probs with mine, great lil writers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Is DVD-RAM viable, though? Years down the road, would I still be able to find a DVD-RAM reader in order to read my backups? That LG burner does all three (+R, -R, -RAM), right? I haven't heard much of anything about it though so I'm a bit wary.

Price isn't really much of an issue for me; I'm willing to spend a few more bucks to get something better, if it's worth it. Of course I'd want to get the best deal I can on whatever model I choose but as far as choosing a model cost isn't a big issue. If the saved time (faster burn time) with the Plextor is accompanied by quality and reliablity, I'll pay a few more bucks. Though right now I'm thinking the Pioneer is probably what I'll end up going with (and hopefully within a few days) just because of the overwhelming acclaim and also the software that comes with it. I guess if I really wanted the speed I could upgrade down the line when 16x burners are out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Pioneer is the very good, I think Plextor is even better (plextors have always been the best w/ their cd writers). If money is not object, I would suggest plextor. If you want a proven dvd recorder then the A06. Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  11. LG GSA-4040B - handles all 5 DVD formats + CD-R/RW
    -Ricky
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you read the DVD Writer comments, and make up your own mind.

Ignore all 10/10 ratings for nothing is perfect, and Plextor only write at 8x to DVD+r which cost more like the Writer.

If you want DVD-RAM you only have a couple to choose from.
    Quote Quote  
  13. what is the DVD RAM recorder? how is it different?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think I can settle this. Buy the Plextor, I have it and love it. I think the Pioneer was the most popular since it has been out the longest and was the most reliable of the first generation. As far as waiting for 8x dvd's don't worry about it. THE PLEXTOR BURNS 8X ON 4X DVD+R's, not kidding! I bought the Ritek DVD+R's and have not had a bad one yet. You can find just as good of a price on DVD+R's as you can DVD-R's. Go to www.newegg.com and buy the drive and get the ARITA DVD+R's they are made buy Ritek and are excellent. You can buy the 100 pack for $99, cheapest best quality dvd's I have been able to find.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    soimcrazy

??what is the DVD RAM recorder? how is it different???

You can use the RAM drive as a 4.7 Gig partition "write" "delete" "write to.

Dont forget you can only write to a Plextor at 8x to one type of DVD Media.
    and it 's pricy, so is the DVD+R media compared to DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the

Lite-On LDW-411S DVD±RW

CDFreaks Review

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127

On sale at PCClub for two more days
    Quote Quote  
  17. Alright, I guess I am going with the Plextor. I found out that I can buy Nero 5.5 for about $15 so I won't have to use the horribly unstable Roxio software.

I also found this review of the Plextor which had me pretty convinced.

And I will grab a 100-pack of those Ritek Arita DVD+Rs -- great deal, 100 for $100; thanks for the suggestion, dmh.

And much thanks for all the suggestions, everyone; I'm much obliged.
    Quote Quote