VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Obviously the reverse (wav to midi) is impossible, but midi to wav should certainly be possible. After all, when you load a midi file in Windows Media Player, it plays it. This means that WMP is taking the midi control data from the .mid file, and is rendering it in software, and then sending the resulting waveform data to the soundcard in realtime. I want something similar, but not exactly the same as what WMP does. I want software that renders the midi file into a waveform, but then instead of playing it back through the soundcard, I want it to save it to a .wav file. This is what I would call a "software midi renderer". Does anybody here know if such software exists? I've tried Google searching that exact phrase (the phrase "software midi renderer"), but without any luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post

Thanks, but none of these handle the .mid files I have. The .mid files I have all came from an old Macintosh game CD and I suspect the structure of midi files meant for macs is different from the structure of those intended to play on a Windows PC. Possible differences include difference in the structure of the header, and even difference in endianness (big or little endian) for multi-byte values (I think Intel CPU uses little endian, while Mac CPU uses big endian).

I've attached 3 sample midi files to this post for you to analyze in something like a hex editor. I hope you can tell me, from analyzing the attached midi files, what software I need to convert them to .wav files. I've put them in a .zip file, because I can't attach .mid files directly to a forum post here.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those aren't true midi files, they appear to be Quicktime files with midi assets in them. The "mdat" at the beginning gives it away. It needs to have QT (v7 or older) export to standard/raw midi files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia You beat me too it!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Those aren't true midi files, they appear to be Quicktime files with midi assets in them. The "mdat" at the beginning gives it away. It needs to have QT (v7 or older) export to standard/raw midi files.

Scott

That auto-generated link for Quicktime here only goes to QT version 7.7.9, not version 7.0 and your post says it needs to be version 7 or older, so I don't know if it will work with version 7.7.9.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post

Thanks, but none of these handle the .mid files I have. The .mid files I have all came from an old Macintosh game CD and I suspect the structure of midi files meant for macs is different from the structure of those intended to play on a Windows PC. Possible differences include difference in the structure of the header, and even difference in endianness (big or little endian) for multi-byte values (I think Intel CPU uses little endian, while Mac CPU uses big endian).

I've attached 3 sample midi files to this post for you to analyze in something like a hex editor. I hope you can tell me, from analyzing the attached midi files, what software I need to convert them to .wav files. I've put them in a .zip file, because I can't attach .mid files directly to a forum post here.
    try googling the name of your video game and see if there is a soundtrack.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    By the way, I discovered that yes, the current version of Quicktime (7.7.9) does in fact load these QT midi files, but unfortunately saving/exporting them to another format (such as standard midi) is a "pro" feature, so I need to buy QT. Unfortunately Apple doesn't sell QT anymore. So the buy button in the QT player takes me to a broken link in my browser. There's literally no page there, and in fact the domain it uses (quicktimepro.apple.com) doesn't even exist anymore. So with no possibility to buy QT Pro, I'm going to need to ask if anybody here who has bought QT Pro has a license key they can share with me. I wouldn't ask for this for current software as that's piracy, but as Apple has completely discontinued selling it, I don't think it's piracy for me to ask for a license key.

Update:
    I found a registration code online.
    Name = CORE MAFIA
    Code = DFXY-5TJN-HU3N-DQXF-WDQ3
    Last edited by Videogamer555; 8th Jan 2022 at 23:59.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Obviously the reverse (wav to midi) is impossible
    Nah there are ways to decompose music back to score so midi at some point should be possible - search for automatic music transcription which is relatively simple way, more refined decomposition is usually performed with help of some neural networks.
    Quote Quote