VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, are you a user of this app, and how good are the results that you get with it ? Reviews at Google Play store and at Amazon -- a couple places that I've checked so far -- are rather mixed, veering towards the 'Not So Good.' If the app is not very satisfactory, I'm disinclined to spend much time or effort wrestling with it.

My initial intention was to install it on a Windows PC, but apparently there is no official Windows version ? I'm finding some discussion of leading emulator software for accomplishing this. I'd rather not have to go that route. The one thing I'm more willing to explore is to install Kodi on a PC, something I was likely to do anyway sooner or later, and then the TCM app should run under Kodi. That may not be much different than using an emulator, functionally speaking, but it would be more familiar to me, as I have put earlier versions of Kodi onto streaming devices and made some (limited) use of it there.

A friend who mostly uses Apple computers has the TCM app on his, and has been bugging me to "get with it already." Even if the TCM app is on your PC though, my bet is that it won't let you download anything for retention at your end. That is to say, real downloading, rather than screen recording. And I'm skeptical that any other software known to VH would be able to get around that. Or do you know otherwise ?

The main end goal however was to get the Watch TCM app onto my Nvidia Shield. The Android app is not supported there, and so far this is looking like a 'No Go'. Some have pointed out in posts I've read that Android TV, which the Shield uses, is not the same thing as regular Android, or Android on phones, so even if you managed to side-load the app there, trying to control it on the Shield would be an exercise in frustration.

I hope to benefit from the experience of those who may have been down this road before.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    First of all, are you a user of this app, and how good are the results that you get with it ? Reviews at Google Play store and at Amazon -- a couple places that I've checked so far -- are rather mixed, veering towards the 'Not So Good.' If the app is not very satisfactory, I'm disinclined to spend much time or effort wrestling with it.

My initial intention was to install it on a Windows PC, but apparently there is no official Windows version ? I'm finding some discussion of leading emulator software for accomplishing this. I'd rather not have to go that route. The one thing I'm more willing to explore is to install Kodi on a PC, something I was likely to do anyway sooner or later, and then the TCM app should run under Kodi. That may not be much different than using an emulator, functionally speaking, but it would be more familiar to me, as I have put earlier versions of Kodi onto streaming devices and made some (limited) use of it there.

A friend who mostly uses Apple computers has the TCM app on his, and has been bugging me to "get with it already." Even if the TCM app is on your PC though, my bet is that it won't let you download anything for retention at your end. That is to say, real downloading, rather than screen recording. And I'm skeptical that any other software known to VH would be able to get around that. Or do you know otherwise ?

The main end goal however was to get the Watch TCM app onto my Nvidia Shield. The Android app is not supported there, and so far this is looking like a 'No Go'. Some have pointed out in posts I've read that Android TV, which the Shield uses, is not the same thing as regular Android, or Android on phones, so even if you managed to side-load the app there, trying to control it on the Shield would be an exercise in frustration.

I hope to benefit from the experience of those who may have been down this road before.
    according to this - https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/settings/ you can watch on your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On a PC, you would watch from https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm?ecid=mainnav1watchtcm using your browser but you need a subscription to a cable or satellite service that includes TCM to sign in. Unfortunately, TCM was removed from my cable package some time ago so I can't evaluate the quality available from the website.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    On a PC, you would watch from https://www.tcm.com/watchtcm?ecid=mainnav1watchtcm using your browser but you need a subscription to a cable or satellite service that includes TCM to sign in. Unfortunately, TCM was removed from my cable package some time ago so I can't evaluate the quality available from the website.
    My provider does have TCM, which is one of the channels I get. The larger question remains though, about getting the app onto Nvidia Shield (not one of the supported devices), and being able to stream Watch TCM to that device. Users of the TCM Forum report that management has ignored queries regarding issues like this.

I do already get HBO Max that way, and HBO Max does include a "Curated by TCM" sub-section, but this has limited overlap with Watch TCM and should not be confused with it. They will have differing content, with differing features, scheduling, and content expiration dates.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    My provider does have TCM, which is one of the channels I get. The larger question remains though, about getting the app onto Nvidia Shield (not one of the supported devices), and being able to stream Watch TCM to that device. Users of the TCM Forum report that management has ignored queries regarding issues like this.

I do already get HBO Max that way, and HBO Max does include a "Curated by TCM" sub-section, but this has limited overlap with Watch TCM and should not be confused with it. They will have differing content, with differing features, scheduling, and content expiration dates.
    there are many ways to install the TCM app - https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidiashield/comments/k507wl/how_to_install_watch_tcm_app_on_...ia_shield_pro/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried sideloading a regular Android video streaming app onto my Chromecast with Google TV. It's for a different cable channel that was removed from my subscription (The app makes a small number of videos from Cartoon Network's AdultSwim block available to non-subscribers for a limited time at no cost.)

I can watch these free videos in decent quality in full-screen resolution on my TV but, yes, controlling some things is frustrating at times and the app works better on my Android phone. I need to use both a Bluetooth keyboard+touchpad and the Chromecast remote to access all the controls on the app. I'd recommend that you try sideloading the TCM app if you already have a good Bluetooth keyboard+touchpad for the Shield.

[Edit]This is the success story. Sideloading my cable provider's phone app on the CWGTV was an utter failure. I could not get past the initial screen.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Sep 2021 at 17:50.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote