VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

I am trying to convert a .mp4 file to a .avi file so I can watch the video on my PC in MPC Home Cinema, VLC, etc which of course are not able to play .mp4 files properly.

I have tried both FreemakeVideoConverter as well as mp4toavi, both of which I found through google. Unfortunately, as i am sure many of you already know, neither of these programs are compatible with Windows xP, which is what I am currently running. During install, both programs depend on something called .NET framework (whatever the %$&%@! that is!) and in order to install .NET framework it requires installation of Windows 3.1! I am NOT downgrading my modern Windows XP machine to the much older Windows 3.1, thus I cannot install .NET framework, therefore I cannot install FreemakeVideoConverter or mp4toavi (iow a type of dependency hell).

So, I am looking for a program to convert .mp4 to Media Player Classic Home Cinema and/or vlc media player compatible .avi files so I can watch them on my PC. My preferences for the software are ...

- Free
    - No malware
    - Modern software that is compatible with the newer Windows XP machines.
    - GUI or command line interface.
    - In NO WAY needs or depends on legacy DOS or Windows 3.1 components like .NET framework
    - accepts .mp4 files as input and generates .avi files as output
    - .avi output compatible with MPC Home Cinema with ffdshow and/or vlc media player.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by grizzly_ View Post
    I am trying to convert a .mp4 file to a .avi file so I can watch the video on my PC in MPC Home Cinema, VLC, etc which of course are not able to play .mp4 files properly.
    Really?
    What is the problem?

Could you do a mediainfo on the video you say won't work and paste it here?

- Modern software that is compatible with the newer Windows XP machines.
    - In NO WAY needs or depends on legacy DOS or Windows 3.1 components like .NET framework
    During install, both programs depend on something called .NET framework (whatever the %$&%@! that is!) and in order to install .NET framework it requires installation of Windows 3.1!
    You are misinformed about a few things to say the least.

....my modern Windows XP machine
    ROTF.

Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by grizzly_ View Post
    Of course they can. At least MPC-HC can because I play and test MP4 videos (x264 video with AAC audio) on it daily. What seems to be the problem?
    During install, both programs depend on something called .NET framework (whatever the %$&%@! that is!) and in order to install .NET framework it requires installation of Windows 3.1!
    No it doesn't.

Maybe try XviD4PSP?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its Windows Installer 3.1, not Windows 3.1. Windows installer built into Windows XP is old.
    MP4 is compatible with MPC-HC and VLC. Maybe your MPC-HC and VLC are too old. Try to find latest versions that support XP. Or use older Handbrake 0.9.3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    You are misinformed about a few things to say the least.
    Such as?

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    ROTF.

Glad I could amuse you. Got anything of value to add to the thread or are you just here to troll?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Of course they can. At least MPC-HC can because I play and test MP4 videos (x264 video with AAC audio) on it daily. What seems to be the problem?
    Thank you for the reply.

MPC Home Cinema de-synchronizes the audio and video within the first five seconds or so of playing any .mp4 files. As time goes on the audio and video become further and further out of sync. VLC is even worse, it is totally unable to handle the audio in .mp4 files at all, just plays silence and/or loud hissing and screeching sounds, and the video plays but freezes, skips and when its not doing that looks like a acid warp from the 1960s is how I would best describe it.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    No it doesn't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vh1.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	29918Click image for larger version

Name:	vh2.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	29919
    Last edited by grizzly_; 26th Jan 2015 at 19:57. Reason: formatting
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Grizzly Windows XP is NOT a modern operating system. Microsoft have stopped doing updates or any support for XP and indeed it is increasingly a security risk. However You don't have to downgrade or anything like that to get it working correctly.
    Read the previous posts on what is needed.
    I play without any problems in VLC just about any file format you can think about. I have Win 7 but 2 friends of mine are still on the old Windows XP and they don't have any problems with VLC either.

Good luck
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Its Windows Installer 3.1, not Windows 3.1.
    Thanks...

I do not want to install Windows 3.1 or its installer. I don't want to go through the risk and hassle of installing an installer for an ancient OS (Win 3.1) just to be able to run a single program I will probably only use one or two times.

Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    MP4 is compatible with MPC-HC and VLC. Maybe your MPC-HC and VLC are too old. Try to find latest versions that support XP.
    Ok thanks I will try to find a different version of MPC and VLC but if possible I would just like to convert these one or two files because all of the rest of the files in my library (like 200 or so) are all .avi and they all play just fine no problems.

Or use older Handbrake 0.9.3.
    I actually have this installed, but it really doesn't help me as I am still unable to play any .mp4 files on my PC. Is handbrake able to convert between formats as well?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi netmask56 thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Grizzly Windows XP is NOT a modern operating system.
    Compared to Windows 3.1 it darn sure is! The two freeware converters I found on google (Freemake and mp4toavi) both require .NET framework components from Windows 3.1 in order to run (see my screencaps above).

Microsoft have stopped doing updates or any support for XP and indeed it is increasingly a security risk.
    I'm actually behind a firewall so I don't really need to worry about security very much. I've had XP for years and years now, never a virus or crash or anything like that to speak of (knocks wood).

However You don't have to downgrade or anything like that to get it working correctly.
    Read the previous posts on what is needed.
    I play without any problems in VLC just about any file format you can think about. I have Win 7 but 2 friends of mine are still on the old Windows XP and they don't have any problems with VLC either.

Good luck
    Thanks. I think it may be this ffdshow thing that is screwing things up maybe. Every time I open an .mp4 file these two wierd blue and red icon things pop up on my system tray and when I click on them a window opens that says 'ffdshow video decoder' and 'ffdshow audio decoder' respectively. Perhaps these are malware that is corrupting my MPC and VLC from playing .mp4 files? IDK. I am going to try to figure out how to get those to go away and then maybe .mp4 will work?

I still think it would be easier to just convert my two .mp4 files to .avi and be done with it, but what do I know?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    The two freeware converters I found on google (Freemake and mp4toavi) both require .NET framework components from Windows 3.1 in order to run (see my screencaps above).
    You are obviously not reading what your own screencaps actually tell you.

I've had XP for years and years now, never a virus or crash or anything like that to speak of (knocks wood).
    I have a feeling that is going to stay like that for a long time to go.

Quote Quote  
  11. There's no need to install either MPC-HC or VLC. Both come in portable flavours that you can just download, unzip and run (look for portable versions in the previous links).

As a general rule I don't have problems playing MP4s with MPC-HC (I don't use VLC myself) but you could try opening a problem MP4 with MKVMergeGUI and saving it as an MKV. It won't take long and hopefully the MKV won't have audio sync issues. MP4s can be a bit odd on occasion.....

Both MPC-HC and VLC will play MKVs.

The FreemakeVideoConverter program you refer to requires the Microsoft dot net framework to run (version 4). There's been several versions. In order to install the dot net framework the Windows installer needs to be upgraded to version 3.1 (or so it seems). It has nothing to do with Windows 3.1.
    So you upgrade the installer, it installs dot net version 4 and then FreemakeVideoConverter will install and run.
    The dot net requirement is not unusual. A lot of software requires some flavour of it. If you haven't come across the need for it before you've been lucky.

Have you ever run Windows Update? If so, the Windows installer should be up to date and Windows Update should offer to install the dot net framework.

Actually it's a bit odd because it seems Windows Installer 3.1 comes with Windows XP, Service Pack 3. Do you have SP3 installed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

ffdshow is a DirectShow filter capable of decoding lots of formats. There's nothing dodgy about it. I have it installed.
    If you download the latest version of MPC-HC and run it, look in it's options for the one to reset it (under miscellaneous). That should delete any previous settings and MPC-HC should use it's own internal filters rather than ffdshow (you don't need to uninstall ffdshow, it just won't be used). You might find the MP4s will play without audio sync issues. It could be a splitter problem as by default MPC-HC should be using it's internal splitters, but by default it uses it's internal decoders rather than ffddshow too, however it's not, so try downloading the latest version and resetting it.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 26th Jan 2015 at 20:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The two freeware converters I found on google (Freemake and mp4toavi) both require .NET framework components from Windows 3.1 in order to run (see my screencaps above).

I've had XP for years and years now, never a virus or crash or anything like that to speak of (knocks wood).

Hey newpboll I didn't say
    I've had XP for years and years now, never a virus or crash or anything like that to speak of (knocks wood)

For the record I haven't had XP since Windows 7 came out... Grizzly_ passed that comment....

His comment that being behind a firewall made me lol, I suspect we all are but nasties still get through and Hello_hello beat me too it to ask about any updates for XP like all the Service packs et al ?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM

Hey newpball I didn't say
    I've had XP for years and years now, never a virus or crash or anything like that to speak of (knocks wood)
    Sorry for that, I messed up with the quotes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I do not want to install Windows 3.1 or its installer. I don't want to go through the risk and hassle of installing an installer for an ancient OS (Win 3.1) just to be able to run a single program I will probably only use one or two times.
    Windows Installer 3.1 is NOT the Windows 3.1 installer. They have nothing to do with each other. Windows installer is used by windows to perform software installations and some software, like .NET framework, rely on Windows installer to be installed.

And by the way, I understand that you don't know the first thing about computers, which is OK by me, but, at least, follow the advice of people who know a lot more than you. Windows XP isn't my first choice at this time, but if you must use it, at least install Service Pack 3 and activate Automatic Updates.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  15. Windows XP comes with Windows installer 2 or something and NET.Framework 1.1. Windows installer 3.1 is newer then Windows XP as so NET.Framework 2. Non of those have anything with first version of Windows (3.1). Installing Windows installer 3.1 and NET.Framework 2 or 3.5 you will upgrade some Windows components, not downgrade.
    What CPU do you have? Maybe it is to weak to play MP4 files without sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're having issues playing MP4 I do not think it's gonna get better by remuxing into AVI. You will then need to re-encode the video and (probably also) the audio which will result in an overall quality loss. You should try to fix the playback issue before anything else (update players, codecs and so on). If you're still having issues you can use ffmpeg (should work flawless on XP) to either remux or re-encode your MP4's into AVI.
    I'm the developer behind FFQueue. My posts might reflect this! ;-)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    The first one says that the Freemake converter requires .net 4.0 to be installed before Freemake can be installed. When I click OK, it tries to install .net 4.0, then the second dialog pops up saying Windows 3.1 is required before I can install .net 4.0. What exactly do you think I am 'obviously' missing?

Why?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by grizzly_ View Post
    The first one says that the Freemake converter requires .net 4.0 to be installed before Freemake can be installed. When I click OK, it tries to install .net 4.0, then the second dialog pops up saying Windows 3.1 is required before I can install .net 4.0. What exactly do you think I am 'obviously' missing?

Name:	vh2.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	29932

Read again. It says "Windows Installer 3.1", not "Windows 3.1" as you said.

And after all we wrote so far you should be realizing by now that Windows 3.1 and Windows Installer 3.1 are not connected in any way.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    then the second dialog pops up saying Windows 3.1 is required before I can install .net 4.0. What exactly do you think I am 'obviously' missing?
    You are obviously missing the distinction between Windows 3.1 the operating system and Windows Installer 3.1 an application.

Originally Posted by grizzly_
    Originally Posted by newpball

Why?
    Couple of indicators, the main once being:

- Your aversion to new software
    - Calling XP a modern operating system
    - General ignorance about software

My advice would be for you to not install/upgrade/maintain your system. I must conclude that your negative inclination towards software in general is going to make things worse faster than improve things once you start tinkering with it. Perhaps you have a cousin, son, acquaintance, anyone who can help you to maintain your system? Otherwise you will have to go to a pro, but the first thing he will say is why are you still on XP and why have you not installed any system updates. A computer is not desk lamp, it requires maintenance and updates.
    Last edited by newpball; 27th Jan 2015 at 14:07.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    There's no need to install either MPC-HC or VLC. Both come in portable flavours that you can just download, unzip and run (look for portable versions in the previous links).
    Thank you for the info, that is good to know. What exactly is the difference between installing MPC and the 'portable flavors?' The version of MPC that I have is installed (i think?).

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    As a general rule I don't have problems playing MP4s with MPC-HC (I don't use VLC myself) but you could try opening a problem MP4 with MKVMergeGUI and saving it as an MKV. It won't take long and hopefully the MKV won't have audio sync issues. MP4s can be a bit odd on occasion.....

Both MPC-HC and VLC will play MKVs.
    Ugh, .mkv is a matroska file right? Those are even worse than MP4s! Nothing knows how to play those, they don't play anywhere, especially not on PC computers.

The FreemakeVideoConverter program you refer to requires the Microsoft dot net framework to run (version 4). There's been several versions. In order to install the dot net framework the Windows installer needs to be upgraded to version 3.1 (or so it seems). It has nothing to do with Windows 3.1.
    Yes I have to install windows 3.1 installer to get it to work, or so it tells me. I do not want anything to do with Windows 3.1, it's components, its installer, or anything. I had Win3.1 back in the day and it was absolutely awful. Constant crashing, corrupting and losing of data, weird error messages, BSODs ... just about every ill you can think of that is possible for a computer to do - Win3.1 did it on my system. I would sooner claw my own eyes out than install ANYTHING even remotely related to windows 3.1, even Windows Installer 3.1. I fear that Windows 3.1 Installer will try to download and install windows 3.1 (or parts of it) to my system and break it. As I stated earlier, I simply feel that playing with Windows 3.1 software is just not worth the risk to my system and data just to play a couple of lousy video files.

There must me another way that doesn't involve that god-awful piece of $%%$ known as Windows 3.1!

So you upgrade the installer, it installs dot net version 4 and then FreemakeVideoConverter will install and run.
    No thanks! I wouldn't install an installer for Windows 3.1 on my system if you paid me a million dollars!

If it wasn't clear before: I absolutely LOATHE Windows 3.1 with every fiber of my being, and for good reasons IMHO.

The dot net requirement is not unusual. A lot of software requires some flavour of it. If you haven't come across the need for it before you've been lucky.
    This is what I don't understand: Why does so much modern software made in the 2010s require components from an operating system that was hot stuff in the late 1980s (.net 4.0 from Windows 3.1)? Was .net 4.0 like the one good thing about Win3.1 that wasn't defective and full of bugs?

Have you ever run Windows Update?
    Not that I know of. What is Windows Update? Will it download the latest .mp4 playing software that I need?

If so, the Windows installer should be up to date and Windows Update should offer to install the dot net framework.
    It does. See my screen captures above. It offers to install .net 4.0, I click OK, it runs for a few seconds then pops up saying I have to install the installer for Windows 3.1 in order to install .net 4.0. Since I am not willing to install Windows 3.1, I am stuck on this step.

Actually it's a bit odd because it seems Windows Installer 3.1 comes with Windows XP, Service Pack 3. Do you have SP3 installed?
    I don't know. What is SP3? Is that more video conversion software or something?

ffdshow is a DirectShow filter capable of decoding lots of formats. There's nothing dodgy about it. I have it installed.
    If you download the latest version of MPC-HC and run it, look in it's options for the one to reset it (under miscellaneous). That should delete any previous settings and MPC-HC should use it's own internal filters rather than ffdshow (you don't need to uninstall ffdshow, it just won't be used).
    I tried your instructions but it seems my MPC-HC doesn't have any reset options. Was this added in a more modern version? The version of MPC-HC I have is from like 2008 or so, I believe.

You might find the MP4s will play without audio sync issues. It could be a splitter problem as by default MPC-HC should be using it's internal splitters, but by default it uses it's internal decoders rather than ffddshow too, however it's not, so try downloading the latest version and resetting it.
    This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head, you might as well be talking rocket science but I appreciate you taking the time to type it out!

Thanks again for your reply, Hello_Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  21. [QUOTE=Keyser;2370819]
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Windows Installer 3.1 is NOT the Windows 3.1 installer. They have nothing to do with each other.
    I know, but as you said I don't know much about computers, so my fear is if I download windows installer 3.1 and do something wrong / click the wrong thing, etc it will try to install Windows 3.1 (or some of it's components) and break my system. It is just not worth the risk to me to be able to play .mp4s to risk dealing with an installer for Win3.1.

And by the way, I understand that you don't know the first thing about computers, which is OK by me,
    I'm so glad you approve.

but, at least, follow the advice of people who know a lot more than you.
    I'm trying! It ain't easy! Ever since I found this site (videohelp) I feel like I am falling down a rabbit hole . Who ever would have thunk that playing a simple movie would turn out to be this complex ... ugh!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Windows XP comes with Windows installer 2 or something and NET.Framework 1.1. Windows installer 3.1 is newer then Windows XP as so NET.Framework 2. Non of those have anything with first version of Windows (3.1). Installing Windows installer 3.1 and NET.Framework 2 or 3.5 you will upgrade some Windows components, not downgrade.
    I have windows xp now, which is from like 1999 or so. Windows 3.1 was from like 1989 or so. So if I install Windows 3.1 installer from 1989 how is that not a downgrade?

What CPU do you have? Maybe it is to weak to play MP4 files without sync issues.

Name:	vh3.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	29939
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by TorBru View Post
    If you're having issues playing MP4 I do not think it's gonna get better by remuxing into AVI.
    It will because I have like 200 other .avi files and they all play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  24. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I have to install windows 3.1 installer to get it to work, or so it tells me. I do not want anything to do with Windows 3.1, it's components, its installer, or anything. I had Win3.1 back in the day and it was absolutely awful. Constant crashing, corrupting and losing of data, weird error messages, BSODs ... just about every ill you can think of that is possible for a computer to do - Win3.1 did it on my system. I would sooner claw my own eyes out than install ANYTHING even remotely related to windows 3.1, even Windows Installer 3.1. I fear that Windows 3.1 Installer will try to download and install windows 3.1 (or parts of it) to my system and break it. As I stated earlier, I simply feel that playing with Windows 3.1 software is just not worth the risk to my system and data just to play a couple of lousy video files.

There must me another way that doesn't involve that god-awful piece of $%%$ known as Windows 3.1!
    No thanks! I wouldn't install an installer for Windows 3.1 on my system if you paid me a million dollars!

If it wasn't clear before: I absolutely LOATHE Windows 3.1 with every fiber of my being, and for good reasons IMHO.
    I gues that by now, after everything that was said about this matter, we have to assume that the OP has some kind of impairment, because he still confuses Windows 3.1 with Windows Installer. Maybe it's the "3.1" part that he fears. I know, let's tell him to install Windows Installer 4.5. Then, what will be the problem?
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  25. Again thank you all for your help, I have to go now but I will be back in an hour or so, and will try out more of y'alls advice then!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

I gues that by now, after everything that was said about this matter, we have to assume that the OP has some kind of impairment,
    Ok stop right there. Do you have a reading comprehension problem sir? I explicitly stated that I KNOW THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINDOWS 3.1 INSTALLER and Windows 3.1 OS.

Read Carefully: [b] I. DO. NOT. WISH. TO. INSTALL. WINDOWS 3.1 INSTALLER on my system. I do not want ANY PART OF windows 3.1, including but not limited to windows 3.1 INSTALLER on my system. Period. Full Stop. End of sentence.

You resorting to insults and bullying I find very low class, and completely uncalled for.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM
    Wow, that processor has a whopping 473 on the CPU passmark website:

Name:	passmark.gif
Views:	314
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	29940
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+M+2.00GHz

Surely we must be trolled, I am going to relax on Oxygen and zone out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTSy8Vs4DlU

Quote Quote  
  28. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Read Carefully: [b] I. DO. NOT. WISH. TO. INSTALL. WINDOWS 3.1 INSTALLER on my system. I do not want ANY PART OF windows 3.1, including but not limited to windows 3.1 INSTALLER on my system. Period. Full Stop. End of sentence.
    For the LAST time, it's "WINDOWS INSTALLER 3.1" NOT "Windows 3.1 installer". Can't you see the difference? It's not in ANY way related, a prt of, connected, etc. with Windows 3.1.

You resorting to insults and bullying I find very low class, and completely uncalled for.
    What insults? A lot of people are impaired. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by grizzly_ View Post
    Windows XP comes with Windows installer 2 or something and NET.Framework 1.1. Windows installer 3.1 is newer then Windows XP as so NET.Framework 2. Non of those have anything with first version of Windows (3.1). Installing Windows installer 3.1 and NET.Framework 2 or 3.5 you will upgrade some Windows components, not downgrade.
    I have windows xp now, which is from like 1999 or so. Windows 3.1 was from like 1989 or so. So if I install Windows 3.1 installer from 1989 how is that not a downgrade?

[Attachment 29939 - Click to enlarge]
    Windows 3.1 was released in 1992. It is an operating system.

Windows installer 3.1 was released in 2008. as part of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. It is a small program that Windows XP uses to install updates and other software. IT IS NOT A PART OF WINDOWS 3.1.

And again - WINDOWS INSTALLER 3.1 IS NOT A PART OF WINDOWS 3.1. IT IS A PART OF WINDOWS XP SP3 FROM 2008.

Please, try to understand this. Without understanding this fact every discussion is pointless.

You have Service Pack 2 which was released in 2004. That is why you do not have Windows Installer 3.1. With Service Pack 2 comes Windows Installer 3.0.

P.S. The reason you have a problem playing MP4 and MKV files is because your CPU is too weak to decode H.264/AVC video that is usually packed in MP4 and MKV.
    Last edited by Detmek; 27th Jan 2015 at 16:16.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Please, dear GOD...tell me this is trolling...

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!