VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its a shame as it seems there isn't a fully functional, easy graphical interface to video conversion tools such as mencoder, ffmpeg or transcode for Linux- is there?

I've been trying to find a GUI program that would convert .flv into .avi but nothing works properly so I've ended up using a script for mencoder instead. VLC comes very close to what I want but no matter what video output format I choose I get messy green artifacts in the first few seconds of the output. Avidemux can't load .flv and all the other programs I've tried (like gtranscode, Konverter) are in a pre-alpha kind of state and either crash or don't do anything.

Any suggestions? Maybe someone here knows how to get VLC's output working correctly? This is the last hurdle stopping me having a fully graphical video production environment setup under Linux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avidemux would have been my first guess, but if that didn't work for you, or Konverter, I'm out of ideas. If mencoder can do the conversion, I might be interested in creating a simple gui for it.

I would need to get an idea of what you would want to see for options in the interface, and could probably create something that would work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Tekkieman!

The script I'm using is at

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/22/2121258

I think the two most important, popular video coversions (excluding .avi to MPEG2-PS (DVD) which DeVeDe does a very good job of already) that I'd like to see in such a program are

flv to avi (Xvid, divx or mjpeg I suppose)

movie file to .3gp

3gp to avi

Thats all I'm after really

and I'll anticipate somebody asking for

movie file to ipod video / GP2X video / Zaurus / PPC video

too, but maybe somebody has already done a Linux app for making ipod vids, I've not checked
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://blogger.rukker.org/2006/07/12/enable-mp3-and-amr-support-in-ffmpeg-ubuntudebian/

Explains how to get 3gp sound working under Ubuntu and how to convert 3gp to avi with ffmpeg. I'm not sure if ffmpeg can convert the other way (avi to 3gp) though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ danboid - have you built ffmpeg with this support from your last link? If so, I can add an option to the interface to select either mencoder or ffmpeg. The link provided the deb, so that will work for me to experiment with, but I see you need an RPM if you're running Mandriva. This isn't really going to be elaborate, just a gui to select the encoder type and the i/o options. The first run will probably not do much more than call the scripts with the selected options. I don't have a lot of time to spend on this in the near future, just a desire to do it just to do it. If you/anyone else wants to pick it up from there, feel free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any progress tekkieman?

What toolkit are you going to use for the interface? PyGTK (or something similar) may be a good choice, that way people could run it on any distro without compiling, which is always nice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No progress yet, just some research. As I mentioned above, I don't have a lot of time to play with this in the immediate future, so I will just whip up something simple to start.

I have to baby-sit a customer's database migration Sunday, so I will probably have some time then while I'm twiddling my thumbs. I might have some questions, so if you don't mind, I'll PM you with anything I need. I also have a host that I can upload any samples to, and I'll PM you that URL. Once I get something we can start working with, I'll post back in here for others who may be interested.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danboid
    Its a shame as it seems there isn't a fully functional, easy graphical interface to video conversion tools such as mencoder, ffmpeg or transcode for Linux- is there?

I've been trying to find a GUI program that would convert .flv into .avi but nothing works properly so I've ended up using a script for mencoder instead. VLC comes very close to what I want but no matter what video output format I choose I get messy green artifacts in the first few seconds of the output. Avidemux can't load .flv and all the other programs I've tried (like gtranscode, Konverter) are in a pre-alpha kind of state and either crash or don't do anything.

Any suggestions? Maybe someone here knows how to get VLC's output working correctly? This is the last hurdle stopping me having a fully graphical video production environment setup under Linux.

I have a program called burn_360 which could well work for you - not tried with flv files, but ffmpeg supports it so should be easy to do (may just need to add an entry for flv - though prob will just work)
    get it at http://www.redtux.org.uk/cgi-bin/burn_360.pl

from feedback I have recieved it should "just work" (with the list of deps I list)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could one of you smart video folks help me with the proper command line options for converting MP4 to MPG or to AVI

I think I need to do this before I try to burn a video. I didn't see this thread until after posting to the following new thread::

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=316878

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danboid
    I've been trying to find a GUI program that would convert .flv into .avi but nothing works properly so I've ended up using a script for mencoder instead.
    Not a GUI based program, but I find the shell associated with the following works quite well for flv to avi conversions, and one does not have to spend hours optimizing a command line:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidenc

Also the following for conversion to h264:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/h264enc
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use PyTube, It does everything.

It searches Youtube videos from within the app.
    It downloads videos from Google Video, Myspace TV, Metacafe and Youtube.
    It saved watched videos from your Firefox cache.
    It generates ringtones.
    Adds an audio file into a video file.
    Merges videos.
    Resizes and rotates videos.
    Converts any video that ffmpeg or mencoder supports into 3GP, AVI, OGM, OGG, MP3, Animated GIF Video, MP4, AMV and WAV.
    Has a nice GUI.
    Totally Free!

Here's the site
    http://www.bashterritory.com/pytube/

I've attached a screenshot.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'm a little late here but WinFF is a great GUI for ffmpeg, I use it to convert .flv to H.264 and XviD among many other common conversions. The latest version 0.4 has a couple of bugs in Linux, but the previous one 0.33 is rock solid. www.winff.org

@jacobdorne

Thanks for the heads up on PyTube, very cool!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice thread! I really like your provided information. It's really helpful for me.

Thanks a lot!
    I'M a SPAMMER
    Quote Quote  
  14. I use mostly VLC as converter... for many reasons... The only thing: you have to know exactly what you want. I use it for converting different video-types to convert to classic MP2 or 3GP/MP4 für my mobile phone. Or my tip: Wine-Doors under linux and use: FormatFactory
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hybrid works fine on Linux/Windows/Mac OS X.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HandBrake if you do not need avi and xvid
    Quote Quote