VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Like many others here, I'm working on transferring 15-20 year old video from VHS to DVD. I'm playing on my Sony SLV-585HF, using the pass through on my JVC GR-D93U to my computer and using WinDV for the capture. I'm editing using Premiere 6.5 and frameserving to TMPGEnc using the Debug Frame Server. Below is a frame exported from Premiere. Can someone recommend a filter in Premiere or a plug in for TMPGEnc that I can use to fix up this video? I'm not too familiar with VirtualDub, but will consider using that with a plug in and frame serving to TMPGEnc.

thanks!
    mark

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Off hand, this vhs is noisy due to cheap tape?
    Your blacklevel looks off, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Plus has a built-in "video noise filter" so you should start there. I would just try using the "default" settings. See how that works. It usually works well. It will slow down the encoding time but all "video noise filters" do that at some point.

Next to that you are better off using AviSynth than VirtualDub as there are a ton of "video noise filters" for AviSynth.

One of the best AviSynth "video noise filters" would be Convolution3D. Here is a guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=225951

Good Luck !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by zoobie
    Off hand, this vhs is noisy due to cheap tape?
    Your blacklevel looks off, too.
    i set the black levels as seenin this post: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1364381#1364381

the tape is a maxell hgx gold hifi recorded in SP mode. i don't think it was a cheap tape. this show was recorded in 1991.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    TMPGEnc Plus has a built-in "video noise filter" so you should start there. I would just try using the "default" settings. See how that works. It usually works well. It will slow down the encoding time but all "video noise filters" do that at some point.

Next to that you are better off using AviSynth than VirtualDub as there are a ton of "video noise filters" for AviSynth.

One of the best AviSynth "video noise filters" would be Convolution3D. Here is a guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=225951

Good Luck !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    thanks. i've used the noise filter in tmpgenc, but find it can sometimes make the faces look "plastic". i'll check out the convolution 3d guide.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It costs some money but I totally recommend NeatVideo at www.neatvideo.com. My experience is that it beats all other filters I've tried, including several attempts at Convolution3D, the MSU Denoiser, etc. It's amazing, and there is a new "Home" edition that's cheaper. (It's still $50 though...)

It's pretty amazing - haven't seen anything as effective at removing noise and maintaining detail at the same time. You can get a very functional demo from their web site.

Downside, it's very slow.
    Quote Quote