VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All.

I am currently using Ubuntu 9.10 and I have been having problems recently with my display. I don't know if it is my graphics card, motherboard or something else that is causing the problem. At the moment I have removed my graphics card and am using my pc on 'low graphics' mode as my display comes up all jumbled up if I try to use my graphics card. I cannot even read BIOS or memtest data. The motherboard comes with onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics, however, I want to try to see if my card will work if I update the Nvidia drivers. So, is it possible to update the Nvidia drivers with the Nvidia card removed from the pc? If so, how is this done? I think the last drivers I used were version 180 (not sure if they could be 185 or not). With the card removed, if I go to System > Administration > Nvidia X Server Settings, I get the following message.

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

However, the Nvidia X Server Settings window does open, but it only has options such as 'enable tool tips', 'display status bar' and three other similar options, haha. What I used to get when everything was working and my card was connected was the screenshot of the Nvidia window posted in message number 11 in the following thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/311727-Dual-Monitor-problem

If the above CANNOT be achieved, then would it be possible to do completely new Ubuntu install of the latest version on a new hard drive, along with the latest Nvidia drivers that are included in that version? If so, how? Please note that if the card is connected, even if I remove my hard drive, I cannot install ubuntu on a new hard drive, because the display is all messed up.

I have come across a lot of threads at various sites of people having problems with the Nvidia drivers and Ubuntu 10.10. Is there any cause for concern? Should I try 10.04 instead or stick to 9.10?

Another thing I wish to ask is would it better to use the alternate or desktop install in my situation? I vaguely recall sometime ago, Ubuntu mentioned nVidia during the installation process.

If anyone wants further details into the problems, please see the post below. I thought I'd just include it here in case further info/understanding on the situation is required.

http://forum.poasters.com/index.php?topic=170.0

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by A Traveller; 7th Jan 2011 at 16:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok this is on ubuntu 10.04.
    nvidia-173
    if you install this it installs the bar you are talking about to install this bar

you need to install
    nvidia-glx-173-dev or (nvidia-glx-your version)
    nvidia-173-dev or (nvidia-your version-dev)
    nvidia-173-modaliases or (nvidia-your version-modaliases)
    nvidia-cg-toolkit (im pritty sure this is universal)

sudo apt-get install (is the command..)
    Last edited by pinginn; 5th Feb 2011 at 02:49.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by A Traveller View Post
    Hi All.
    I am currently using Ubuntu 9.10 and I have been having problems recently with my display. I don't know if it is my graphics card, motherboard or something else that is causing the problem. At the moment I have removed my graphics card and am using my pc on 'low graphics' mode as my display comes up all jumbled up if I try to use my graphics card. I cannot even read BIOS or memtest data.
    Just to clarify; are you saying that with the Nvidia card installed, the connected display shows a garbled image as soon as the computer is switched on? If that's the case, then I can't see how it's a Linux issue - as Linux hasn't started at this point.

(from http://forum.poasters.com/index.php?topic=170.0)
    Recently, I've been having issues which started out by the browser (Firefox) crashing when viewing streaming video, often requiring a restart. This deteriorated to the entire screen flickering. I initially thought this was a Firefox/flash/software problem, however, this then deteriorated to the screen flickering even when the browser was not open! This in turn deteriorated into getting weird dots, lines and characters during startup sometimes and eventually, it happened all the time and not much could be read as it was all jumbled up characters.
    I had a very similar problem with an Nvidia graphics card last year. The computer would start up fine, then after 5-10 minutes I'd notice green and purple dots and other corruption appearing on the screen. The glitches would get progressively worse until Linux would freeze, then bomb out of the desktop and return me to the login screen (X restart). More glitches would appear on the login screen and the computer would momentarily lock up and reload the login screen. This would keep happening over and over.

I managed to find similar comments on various forums that pointed to the problem being hardware related. I installed a different graphics card, updated the drivers - and haven't had any further problems.

I have come across a lot of threads at various sites of people having problems with the Nvidia drivers and Ubuntu 10.10. Is there any cause for concern? Should I try 10.04 instead or stick to 9.10?
    I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu (I use openSUSE), but I had problems with the bundled driver that came with the distribution - the 'Nouveau' driver. It aims to be a replacement to Nvidia's proprietary drivers but I found it very problematic - it had poor 3D support meaning programs like Blender 3D failed to work at all. It was also quite a challenge to remove it from the system prior to installing the official Nvidia driver.

From personal experience I would avoid the Nouveau drivers and use the official ones supplied by Nvidia (which I have had no problems with). I'm not sure if it's possible to download these via Ubuntu's package management system, but alternatively you can get them from Nvidia's own site (although if you do decide to get them direct from Nvidia, there are a few additional things that need to be done prior to the driver installation - I can explain, if you decide to go this route).

It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall Linux. Buy a new graphics card, update the drivers and you should end up with a working system.

Note: Anecdotally, the hardware problem with my graphics card coincided with my mum vacuum cleaning the house. While it's possibly a unrelated, I believe vacuum cleaners can cause spikes on the mains that can damage sensitive equipment. The power supply in a computer should filter most of this out, but in practice I'm not sure that they do completely. I've subsequently bought a surge protector to try and minimise the risk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the advice pinginn/intracube.

Pinginn, thanks for providing specific commands required to carry out the installation. That is always very helpful!

Before I get to that stage, the thing which I am unsure about, is can the Nvidia drivers be installed PRIOR to the Nvidia graphics card being attached to the computer or does the card need to be attached first? For example, I everything is running fine at the moment in 'low graphics' mode. Can I install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card now, whilst it has been taken out of the computer or will the pc think I am trying to install Nvidia drivers for the ATI onboard graphics and give me errors about the drivers not being compatible with the ATI card, etc? Thanks.

Intracube, yes, the motherboard's splash screen which shows the options to access boot mode, etc, has red dotted lines across it but it can be read, after that, it's all garbled, apart from the list that can be accessed which includes the option to run memtest, however, if I choose to run memtest, the progress/status of memtest is all garbled also.

As mentioned before, the problem is still there if I try to install anything on a new hard drive, so I had figured that it wasn't anything to do with Ubuntu, but does that mean that if it's nothing to do with Ubuntu, then it definitely won't be anything to do with the Nvidia drivers?

Yes, your problem sounds very similar to mine. Was the new card you installed not an Nvidia one then?

I would prefer to use Nvidia drivers, which is what I have been using, ie. like in pinginn's screenshot. Thanks for kindly offering to assist with installation of new drivers. I'll hold you to that! Haha. From what I can remember, I think the Nvidia drivers were available from within Ubuntu.

My graphics card is a good one and is relatively new, so I am reluctant to replace it unless it is definitely at fault. I need to know if it is actually the card before it is sent back to the manufacturer as they probably charge if it is working fine and their time is wasted.

I've already got a surge protector in place, however, it is a number of years old now!

Thanks for all the help and advice. It has all been VERY much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card now, whilst it has been taken out of the computer or will the pc think I am trying to install Nvidia drivers for the ATI onboard graphics and give me errors about the drivers not being compatible with the ATI card, etc?
    I wouldn't have thought installing the Nvidia drivers without the graphics card would work.

Intracube, yes, the motherboard's splash screen which shows the options to access boot mode, etc, has red dotted lines across it but it can be read, after that, it's all garbled, apart from the list that can be accessed which includes the option to run memtest, however, if I choose to run memtest, the progress/status of memtest is all garbled also.
    It certainly looks like a hardware fault.

As mentioned before, the problem is still there if I try to install anything on a new hard drive, so I had figured that it wasn't anything to do with Ubuntu, but does that mean that if it's nothing to do with Ubuntu, then it definitely won't be anything to do with the Nvidia drivers?
    As you're having problems before Linux starts, I can't see how updating the Linux drivers will have any effect. If the computer started up and ran memtest without a problem, but you had video glitches when Linux loaded then it could well be the drivers - but that's not the case here.

Yes, your problem sounds very similar to mine. Was the new card you installed not an Nvidia one then?
    The replacement card is a spare Nvidia card I had - a low end GeForce 7300 LE made by Galaxy. The original was a GeForce 7600 GS by Inno3D.

I think the Nvidia drivers were available from within Ubuntu.
    As long as they're the official drivers, that's probably the best way to get them.

My graphics card is a good one and is relatively new, so I am reluctant to replace it unless it is definitely at fault. I need to know if it is actually the card before it is sent back to the manufacturer as they probably charge if it is working fine and their time is wasted.
    I'd return the card at this point if it's still under warranty.

You could always try a Live CD from a different distro. For example:
    http://software.opensuse.org/113/en
    - click on the 'Live KDE' box and choose either 32 or 64bit

But I don't think the result will be any different.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Intracube, thanks for your extremely helpful response.

I have tried to locate information regarding the warranty of my product and am finding it quite annoying that the brand (XFX) hasn't made it clear at all! I have looked at the documentation which came with the card (XFX Nvidia GTX 260) and there is no mention at all about how long the warranty is. I tried their website and no mention of how long the warranty is for the UK for this card.

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx

The above webpage states "XFX does not sell its Product directly to the consumer therefore the warranty for XFX Products remains the responsibility of your reseller where you purchased the Product." Every time I try to choose the correct card, it defaults to Radeon HD at that webpage. I'm assuming that this applies to my card as well and that the UK does not have any warranty at all with the manufacturer in this case.

It's over a year since I bought the card. I think they'll say their warranty was only for one year, however, I have read on another website that in the EU, ALL consumer goods are protected by a 2 year warranty and that after 6 months it's up to you to show that the item is inherently faulty and not by neglect/misuse. Do you know anything about this? I have never overclocked the card I don't even play games with it! The temperature seems normal also. Have I just been unlucky that a card that's supposed be good has perished in just one year or should XFX be avoided in future?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Can I install the Nvidia drivers for my graphics card now, whilst it has been taken out of the computer or will the pc think I am trying to install Nvidia drivers for the ATI onboard graphics and give me errors about the drivers not being compatible with the ATI card, etc?
    I wouldn't have thought installing the Nvidia drivers without the graphics card would work.

# Nvid Drivers
    Yes you can install the drivers now as long as thay are not active you shoud not get any kernel panic's or system errors(i had two cards in that box in the photo at one time a gefroce5700fx for the tv in my room and the gefroce 8400gs for the liveing room.the 5700fx fan stoped working so i pulled the card the next week i loged in to root and had about 3000 sys mail to the root about with all the errors. i thin deactivated the card and everything was ok.)(By installing the drivers you install the system files needed by the kernel to enable the GFX card to work it is not active untill your go in to the hardware drivers manger CMD 'sudo exec /usr/bin/jockey-gtk' default ubuntu install with gnome. ))

# Onbord GFX Testing System Ram.
    Yes it is a hardware fault i have seen this about 5 times In compaq's dell's to custom built pcs it is usely one of the chips of system ram are going bad.(I usely test the mem with this 'http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/' thay have bootable iso's an USBstick versions. Im not a big fan of linux memtest.((on borad vid uses's system mem as its "Vram" you maybe able to set the amount of vram the bios set it to a higher amount woud force it to use more ram an it may use a diff block other than the bad blocks allso you can pull each of the sticks out an try newones if you have sum laying around.)))

I'd return the card at this point if it's still under warranty.

# Test Vram
    The only current video card ram tester i know of is 'http://mikelab.kiev.ua/PROGRAMS/vmtce_flp.zip' works very well but is only for windows i dule boot os for this reson an use this if i build a new pc for a client or start geting random over heating and crashing on my vidcard. ill keep lookin for a linux version of this an comeback.

You could always try a Live CD from a different distro. For example:
    http://software.opensuse.org/113/en
    - click on the 'Live KDE' box and choose either 32 or 64bit

But I don't think the result will be any different.

# Live CDs And Testing
    as for trying a diff live cd i woud stay away from KDE3/4 & Gnome+Compiz Fusion or the "VisualEffects Extra's" in Ubuntu due to the high end system requirements of the's two GUIs.
    Pinginn / ニコン
    Last edited by pinginn; 12th Jan 2011 at 07:26.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pinginn View Post
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    # Nvid Drivers
    Yes you can install the drivers now as long as thay are not active you shoud not get any kernel panic's or system errors
    While it's possible to install drivers without the hardware present, I think sucess can depend on the method in which the drivers are installed and the system is configured. For example, I use an automated installer from Nvidia:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
    You download a single version (for your CPU architecture) and it supports a large number of Nvidia's cards. It automatically installs the driver, updates the system configuration, etc. I don't think it would work without the card being fitted, as it wouldn't know which Nvidia graphics cards you have, and wouldn't be able to configure your system for it. I thought Ubuntu's driver installation might be similar.

I should have said "it might be possible to update the drivers without the card, but I wouldn't recommended it unless you're an experienced Linux user".

Originally Posted by pinginn
    Originally Posted by intracube
    # Onbord GFX Testing System Ram.
    I usely test the mem with this 'http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/' thay have bootable iso's an USBstick versions. Im not a big fan of linux memtest.
    While Memtest86 is open source, it's a standalone bootable program and doesn't run on Linux. Why don't you like it?

Originally Posted by pinginn
    ((on borad vid uses's system mem as its "Vram"
    That's an interesting point. I would have thought as integrated graphics cards are so common, memtest would be designed with that in mind. I'll see if I can find any more info regarding this.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Traveller, I've read through the whole thread (http://forum.poasters.com/index.php?topic=170.0) more thoroughly, and realized I'd missed a few important comments you made.

Thought I'd try it again; still the same problem, however, tried it again today and all of a sudden it worked!
    I assume it only worked for a limited time before failing again otherwise you wouldn't be posting here

You mention in post #7 that you tried the onboard graphics card. Towards the bottom of the post:
    I left the computer downloading a file and when I returned to it, the monitor was displaying the 'no signal' message which is displayed when nothing is connected to the monitor, however, a wiggle of the mouse made it appear again, BUT, everything (Firefox/download manager and whatever else was open) had gone and I was at the login screen. It couldn't have been a setting which automatically goes on standby or makes you log in again because the programs that were open were all closed. Browsing the web SEEMS to kick start the problem, but surely this is only a coincidence as the problem remains even when Firefox is closed and the hard drive is replaced.
    Just to confirm, this was with the onboard graphics card? It looks like X crashed and restarted - which returned you to the login screen. So are you getting the same problems with the onboard graphics card as well?

If so, this changes things significantly.

Also this:
    Before I answer your questions, I'd like to add something which I wasn't 100% sure about but it's just happened again and this time, I don't think it's by any coincidence! I have noticed that sometimes when I open or close any side of my pc case, whilst my pc is running, the screen goes off, it displays a 'no signal' message and the computer restarts on its own! Could this be caused by anything apart from a short or disturbing a faulty wire?
    This might be related to the problems you're having (or it might be an additional, unrelated problem). But I'd definitely try to identify the cause before returning the graphics card to the shop. Have you tried flexing the case, gently knocking the motherboard and other components/wires to reproduce the fault and find what's causing it?

Can you try the Nvidia card in a separate computer as a process of elimination?

Apologies if you already know this, but it's worth mentioning - when handling/installing components for your computer, you should use an anti-static wrist strap and mat to avoid the chance of static electricity damaging the electronics:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

I'm unsure about the warranty issue, but if I find anything relevant, I'll post an update. Returning the product to the shop you bought it from rather than the original manufacturer sounds correct, though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube
    While Memtest86 is open source, it's a standalone bootable program and doesn't run on Linux. Why don't you like it?

Memtest86 has alot of false positives with crucial and kingston ram brands and usely thats all i use.
    i also have had two times where i was scaning a labtop fellasleep and the damn thing just stoped scaning all together idk what happend thos two times.
    I love open source dont get me wrong bug it v1 beta 1.1 beta 1.2 beta 1.5 etc its all in testing phases there are alot of bugs i just perfer to have a set of tools on one flash drive, like i have on my keys
    that isp with the bootable tools a bootable version of CBang# linux and a stick with anti virus progs sum stander windows progs an my encrpted data so just offering another program.
    Last edited by pinginn; 14th Jan 2011 at 04:41.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again. I replied after post no. 7 in this thread, or at least I thought I did, but it seems to have disappeared. In that post, I mentioned that I have taken the card to a store for testing and am awaiting the results. I haven't thoroughly read any of the posts made after that, but will do so and reply as soon as possible. Just thought I'd quickly post an update on the current situation. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not rely missing much he asked i dont like the linux tool an i sead it falls once in a while. anyway hope it all works out.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks again for all the help.

So, the Nvidia drivers can be installed prior to installing the card, but they do not come into play during the initial stages of booting or need to be activated via Ubuntu anyway. I very much agree with everyone here regarding it likely to being a hardware problem, so, as mentioned earlier, I've taken the card to a store but still haven't got the results yet.

Pinginn, thanks for the bootcd link, the suggestion of changing settings in BIOS, trying a different Linux and the memory test link. Which memory test is it that I should run? Memtest86, Memtest86+ or TestMemIV? I will look into these after I get the results from the store. As you say, I also don't think that a different type of OS will make any difference, but if it comes to that, then I could try it.

I always ensure that I stay away from using the Compiz/visual effects as I have read many a thread advising this very thing.

Thanks Intracube, for the link of the auto-drivers, didn't even know they existed! Yes, the card worked and then went back to not working pretty soon! Yes, it was with the onboard graphics that I had the problem where it seemed like X restarted on its own, which as you say, could be down to a faulty motherboard, however, I have been using the pc since then and haven't encountered this problem again and there doesn't seem to have been any other obvious issues since then. Yesterday, however, Firefox did crash and had to be ended. This is how it all started with my graphics card, but this could easily be a software issue. Sorry, I had already taken the card to a shop before I had read your suggestions of checking the case. I did try moving the wires about, away from any circuitry, etc, but there are so many cables all from the PSU that it would be difficult to pinpoint even if one of them were responsible! I won't be able to test until I get the card back from the shop and into the case.

'Can you try the Nvidia card in a separate computer as a process of elimination?' It is because I don't have another pc that accepts the card that I had to post on these boards in the first place, haha, and also the reason I am having to pay for having the computer shop simply putting the card in their pc and seeing if it works, haha.

No, I haven't got an anti-static wristband or mat but I normally touch the radiator and then the case of the pc and then the internals, doing my best to avoid touching any circuitry. Thanks for letting me know if you learn anything about the warranty.

Thanks pinginn, hope it all works out too! Am I totally insane in half-hoping that there IS something wrong with the graphics card so that I can just get another one and get on with my life instead of the headache of going through more troubleshooting? Haha.

Anyhow, as mentioned, the card is now at the shop, so I don't want any of you to go to the trouble of finding any further information for me until I get the results of their test as I don't want you be wasting your time if it IS indeed the card at fault.

Will post back with whatever news I get!

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

Well the shop eventually were able to test the card (run it for about ten minutes). They say it worked fine, however, maybe I should have let them put it through it's paces because, as we know, the card worked for the duration of which I ran memtest (8 hours) without any problem, so I get the feeling that I'm back to square one! One thing is for sure, if I do take the card back for testing properly, it won't be to the same shop! I haven't got the card back yet, but when I do, I'll try it again and if it misbehaves straight away, I think it is possible that the card is not at fault.

UPDATE. I got my card back from the shop today. As mentioned above, they didn't do a thorough test but said it booted up fine and worked fine. I just put it back into the pc and it didn't work for me, so this leads me to now think that it's may not be the card after all. So, I suppose it's back to the drawing board!

Pinginn, which memory test is it that I should run? Memtest86, Memtest86+ or TestMemIV?

Intracube, I have now tried rocking the case, tugging at the motherboard (doesn't move as it's quite securely fitted) and jiggling the cables about, but no effect. I think the reboot usually took place when the side panel was replaced, however, have done that without any effect with one panel. Will try the other panel after I have posted this message just in case it does decide to restart and I lose my typing!

After the eight hours of the memtest that was run previously, I also think that maybe the RAM is ok as well. This leaves the motherboard or a faulty cable on the PSU. Anything else apart from this that could possibly be the cause?

Thanks.

UPDATE. Have just removed and replaced the other panel, but no effect. It only happened sometimes, so it's difficult to say if this is related to the problem at this stage.
    Last edited by A Traveller; 28th Jan 2011 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    /*I got my card back from the shop today. As mentioned above, they didn't do a thorough test but said it booted up fine and worked fine. I just put it back into the pc and it didn't work for me, so this leads me to now think that it's may not be the card after all. So, I suppose it's back to the drawing b */

##So the shop sead that the card worked fine on there box's thats strange im starting to wounder if its a bad PIC-e port on the mother borad becuase this is makeing #no sins in your bios for the mb have you changed the setting from onborad video to vga/pci ?

/*Pinginn, which memory test is it that I should run? Memtest86, Memtest86+ or TestMemIV?*/

#Try useing the 86+ quick test shoud take about an hur or two.

/*Intracube, I have now tried rocking the case, tugging at the motherboard (doesn't move as it's quite securely fitted) and jiggling the cables about, but no effect. I think the reboot usually took place when the side panel was replaced, however, have done that without any effect with one panel. Will try the other panel after I have posted this message just in case it does decide to restart and I lose my typing! */

# Is this pc dell sum of thim have reset/kill switchs in side the case pined to the door usely on services but i gess thay may have putt thim in desktops aswell
    # lOl try not to rock it to much you may pop off a compasitor or sumthing..

## now inconcluson the pc is rebooting randomly win the new card is in ? if this is the case the power suply may not be sufficient.
    #anyway i gota go im late for a date ill check back tomarow or sumtime soon later.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the shop eventually were able to test the card (run it for about ten minutes). They say it worked fine, however, maybe I should have let them put it through it's paces because, as we know, the card worked for the duration of which I ran memtest (8 hours) without any problem,
    I hope you weren't charged much for that extensive test

Intracube, I have now tried rocking the case, tugging at the motherboard (doesn't move as it's quite securely fitted) and jiggling the cables about, but no effect.
    I'd avoid flexing the motherboard, instead focus on the various connections/sockets.

- Shortly after buying my current computer, I had erratic problems with one of the hard disks (occasional errors reading/writing). Initially I thought the drive was dying, but when inspecting the SATA plugs, I noticed tiny particles of grit/dust that could have caused a bad connection. After gently rubbing the connectors with a small piece of stiff cardboard, then blowing them out with a can of compressed air and reinserting them 10+ times I didn't have any further errors.

You might want to try a similar process with your graphics card.

Also, I agree with pinginn that your power supply might not be adequate. What is the manufacturer/model/spec. of it? Nvidia recommend 500W minimum for the GeForce GTX 260.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks for the helpful replies.

Pinginn, yes it is possible that it could be a bad PCI-E slot. The only way I could know for sure is to buy another card to test it with, which is, as a matter of fact, something that I'm considering doing. I cannot disable my onboard settings in BIOS because if I do so, I won't be able to use my pc again because the only way I was able to use my pc was to change to onboard graphics when my card was working for a while and BIOS text wasn't jumbled up. Now that the card is not working again, if I disable onboard graphics, I won't be able to see BIOS text in order to change the settings back.

Thanks for the memtest recommendation. Will try that and let you know what happens. It's not a dell pc. The pc is entirely custom made. I haven't cut any corners with this pc. All the parts are compatible with each other, suitable and meet various minimum requirements with respect to each other.

I very much appreciate your being late for a date because you were helping me! Haha.

Intracube, it was 10GBP. I asked somewhere else afterwards and they said 5GBP. To be fair, I did tell the shop that the card didn't need to be tested EXTENSIVELY, that it just needed to be checked to see if it was working, but it was some other things that are the reasons for my not wanting to go there in future.

Thanks for the suggestion for dirty connections. Will look into it when my pc is off. As mentioned above all my parts are good ones. Actually I think some of it is overkill for what I use the pc for. The PSU is http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=op650

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again.

Got the following options on the Ultimate Boot CD.

Memtest86 v3.5 - Thorough standalone memory test for x86 architecture computers....
    Memtest86+ v4.10 - A port of Memtest 86 that is up-to-date and completely reliable....
    TestMem IV - Tests system memory and memory on Nvidia video cards.
    Windows Memory Diagnostic - Tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors....

Pinginn, I assume that you meant the second option, so I chose the Memtest86+ v4.10 and got the following results. I stopped it after two passes (about one and a half hours). If this is the test that you were referring to, I could try it again until it completes if it only takes about two hours. Would you advise that?

In the figures below, the CAS is shown as 9-9-9-24, whereas my RAM should be CAS 7. Should I be concerned? Also, why are the settings for the latest results so different from the settings of the first Memtest results?

First test via Ubuntu CD - Settings: RAM: 502 MHz (DDR1004) / CAS: 2.5-1-3-1 / DDR-1 (128 bits)
    Second test via Ultimate Boot C - Settings: RAM: 666 MHz (DDR 1333) / CAS: 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 (64 bits)

Second test results :-

AMD K10 (45nm) @ 3014 MHz
    L1 Cache: 64K - 49404 MB/s
    L2 Cache: 512K - 15945 MB/s
    L3 Cache: 6144K - 9023 MB/s
    Memory: 3583M - 4464 MB/s
    IMC: AMD Phenom (tm) II x 2 545 Processor (ECC: Disabled)
    Settings: RAM: 666 MHz (DDR 1333) / CAS: 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 (64 bits)

WallTime: 132:00
    Cached: 3583M
    Rsvd Mem - 12K
    MemMap - e820
    Cache - On
    ECC - Off
    Test - Std
    Pass - 2
    Errors - 0
    ECC -
    Errs -

Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    " First test via Ubuntu CD - Settings: RAM: 502 MHz (DDR1004) / CAS: 2.5-1-3-1 / DDR-1 (128 bits) "
    " Second test via Ultimate Boot C - Settings: RAM: 666 MHz (DDR 1333) / CAS: 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 (64 bits) "

wow ya the the ubuntu cd must be runing a very old version of memtest that has not had it's hardware / chipset database updated in a very long time.
    on the ubuntu cd it is runing at the highest it can it dose not know there are newer faster ram types so thats why the ubuntu memtest was giveing you incorrect info about your hardware
    thats another resion to use a 3rd party memtest =).
    anway thats a very good runtime it looks clean so im at a loss for words the cpu and installed ram are working together well so
    it must be the card it allso might be the pic-e slot not sure.

sorry it took so long to reply working alot this month.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply, pinginn.

I have contacted the motherboard's manufacturer to find out what my options are.

I would also like to confirm that the pc restarts itself sometimes DEFINITELY when the side cover of the case is re-fitted.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. Just to update you all that it was the graphics card that was faulty. Thanks for all the time taken to help with in this matter. I appreciated it all.
    Quote Quote