VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. People always ask why disks would get wet etc.. when on the subject of is a printed disk water proof.
    Well here's an odd thing.
    What if you want to wash your disks with soap and water

Ok, seriously my daughter did not realy use soap, just water

We took a trip in a pickup truck. It was crowded in the cab and some junk was tossed in the bed to make room. Her CD case was one of the things tossed. All fine for the trip, no problem. Well getting home about 3am she forgot to get the case out of the truck and it was in the bed for about 4 days till she wanted some CD's. At least 2 of those days it rained, alot of rain at times.
    Her CD's were printed TY's silver tops. Some maybe on the epson R200 and some on the Canon IP4200 with mods. Also some were not yet printed.

So now today she wants to print the ones not printed. The rain got all the disks wet, most are dried, a few had water spots, some are still damp that she though had not got wet.
    She just washed them
    Yes washed!
    Wet paper towel rubbed all over them.
    Good news, although we can see the ink on the paper towel that washed off, the disks themselfs are fine. Not smeared or nothing in this case.

So ya, there is a reason for wanting water proof disk printing, you may someday want to wash the disks.
    Don't forget, although many people treat disks like gold, they are only a quarter or so, so who cares really about handling them super safely anyway. In this case she normally takes care of her disk, but sh*t happens. So she has the ones she uses and backups to make more copies if disks get ruined.

Worse problem for the disks was the highway, not the rain!! Crappy USA interstate, hit a bad bump with the truck and the cd player ate the disk! Ya, ate the disk, jamed it up in there and would not eject, lots of scratches. We got it out and it still plays but a few skips. I wonder how a DVD player would have done on that bump??
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's actually recommended to wash them with mild dish soap and dry with a soft t-shirt. Unfortunately, paper towels just scratch them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    It's actually recommended to wash them with mild dish soap and dry with a soft t-shirt. Unfortunately, paper towels just scratch them.
    i think you mean non printables --
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. "i think you mean non printables"

I think so too, it's always been a worry what happens when the ink on a printed disk gets wet.

Interesting that one a few of these disks the rain and finger caused smudges or smears on the surface, but washing with a damp paper towel seemed to remove it. I geuss it was because the top "layer" of ink smeared and then when washed was wiped away leaving a clean nice print as it was to begin with.

That was a silver top printable CD, I have not tried washing a DVD-r normal white top yet.
    I may do it just to see what happens on one. I have extra's and they are cheap anyway now, not like when they were $1 each or more.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to check out HP CD/DVD Tattoos. They are water resistant polycarbonate labels. The ink gets trapped between the label and the disc to prevent smearing or bleeding when exposed to moisture. They are available at www.hp.com/go/tattoos.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Professor HD
    I looked at that, cost for 30 labels is $10.
    15 sheets per pack, 5x7. Buy one get one free, free shipping.

They may be good for a few things or if you opnly do a couple disks but just the label is the price of a printable disk, might as well print a disk and if it gets water damage on the label make a new copy of it.

100 labels only would be $33.

Cost of printable disks.
    Taiyo Yuden CD-R 52X / White Printable $28.99 per 100-Pack (cheaper than a label alone)
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4.7GB, 16X, White Inkjet (Hub Printable), 100-Pack $45.99

The cost of non-printable disk is not much cheaper and in some case same or more.

I do not figure the cost of shipping the disks because you have to have some kind of disk either way and the shipping is the same rather printable or not. Same thing with ink, you use the same rather on a disk or label so no reason to figure it.

If a person only does a few disks then the tatoo labels may be good and they don't need a disk printer. If you have a disk printer or do alot of disks, then the labels cost too much in my opinion.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  8. I made a thread about this a while back
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=297048&highlight=

They work great. I have been using the Primera with Aquaguard white have a brite white Matte finish and the quality is the best ive ever seen. The aquaguards are Fuji media and only 8x(dvd-r) These newer ones they announced are TY, and 16x, and have a glossy finish which make them better than the ones i use now. i cant wait to get my hands on them
    Quote Quote