VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I want to capture old VHS tapes and transfer to DVD.

I have an elgato game capture device and also a composite to DVD I upscaler adapter.

I set the elgato software to the highest quality and expanded video...

The resultant TS files (combined) were 24GB....I don't know if this is normal, but it's npbeen all night converting to MP4 and still not finished.

My questions are...

1> will I gain any quality using the composite to hdmi upscaler ( choice of 720 or 1080)
    2> would I be better off just feeding composite to the elgato, using the supplied lead, inc audio
    3> if the composite to hdmi adapter is considered worth using! should I set to 720 or 1080 for VHS capture
    4> what would be the best settings on the elgato software to give the very best quality without having settings higher than required for the source.

Many thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's try and take this bit by bit (from a respondent that knows zilch about Elgato and its software)

1. Is it necessary, with that software to convert your .ts file to Mp4 ? Reason. You will have to re-encode that MP4 for dvd-compliant files so every additional encode means a loss of quality. With the correct software (see below) you might be able to go straight from .ts to dvd-compliant which is the only one encode.
    2. [Q1] Hardly. Your source is SD (standard def]. Unless the upscaler is hardware based you are only adding pixels which you will throw away when un-upscaling (not a real word but I trust you know what I mean) back to SD.
    3. [Q2] Probably. That may simply pass a SD feed to your HDD
    4. [Q3] isn't that the same as Q1 ?
    5. [Q4] Maybe someone who has used the s/w can help there (see b. below)

But let us consider what you already have.

a. Post a mediainfo report of the .ts capture file.
    b. Maybe the software allows you set the .ts capture as 720*576 4:3 mpeg-2. That may already be dvd-compliant. No need to convert that to MP4
    c. Use software such as avstodvd to author your dvd from the .ts file and imgburn to burn the files to a disk
    Quote Quote  
  3. TS to MP4 with ElGato's software is just a remux. No loss of quality. But if it hasn't finished overnight something has gone wrong.

Whether upscaling will give you better quality depends on the quality of the upscaler. Keep in mind that all HDTVs and Blu-ray players, and many DVD players, have the ability to upscale SD video. If you're not using an s-vhs deck and a line TBC -- that will probably give you a much bigger gain in quality than upscaling.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Aug 2014 at 09:14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am using a.....EtekcityŽ Mini AV Composite Video/Audio RCA CVSB to HDMI Converter: Upscaler supports HDTV, High-definition 720p, 1080p, VHS, VCR, DVD and many more devices from amazon uk...which connects to the elgato.
    The VCR is a 6 head nicam hifi....hardly used, so should give good playback. It has sart output which I use with a scart to composite adapter to the composite to hdmi adapter.
    As the hdmi upscaler is hardware driven, can I assume I will get some quality improvement ?

I intend trying some test captures of 10 minutes with different settings....the composite to hdmi adapter has an output switch of 720 or 1080....

So will try combinations of 720 / 1080 and the same in the elgato software....and check file size and quality.

It's good to know that the elgato TS to mp4 is only a remix and will not lose quality....it did finally finish converting this morning, took about 12 hours for 24GB.....

Any further help would really a be appreciated

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post the mediainfo report of the original .ts and the remux. As jagabo stated, it should NEVER take 12 hours and that 24 gig capture is hardly a long one.

Would also like to see a short sample of a video captured by this method - no remux - and one done by just a plain 'n simple composite connection to the Elgato.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The TS files are split by elgato into 30 minute chunks...approx 4 gb each.

Would a media info file of one of them be sufficient ?

Will work on the samples.....what length would be acceptable ?

Thanks

Ps am a really big fan of black adder, must get the box set out and watch it again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the .ts files are complete with headers then, yes. But I guess that they are not and after the first 30 mins, ie the 4 gb limit as imposed by the OS, you just get .002, 003 etc or something similar.

A cunning plan will just be a short sample. Two or three minutes will suffice. Then the .ts file will be complete with all the headers.

With the short sample you can remux that as well post the mediainfo reports of both.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi.....a very cunning plan indeed.....will try tomorrow ...

"Give the likes of Baldrick the vote and we'll be back to cavorting druids, death by stoning and dung for dinner..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be very careful when you use the name 'Baldrick' around these forums
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    TS to MP4 with ElGato's software is just a remux. No loss of quality. But if it hasn't finished overnight something has gone wrong.

Whether upscaling will give you better quality depends on the quality of the upscaler. Keep in mind that all HDTVs and Blu-ray players, and many DVD players, have the ability to upscale SD video. If you're not using an s-vhs deck and a line TBC -- that will probably give you a much bigger gain in quality than upscaling.
    Yup right even Hauppauge dose that same thing to
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    TS to MP4 with ElGato's software is just a remux. No loss of quality. But if it hasn't finished overnight something has gone wrong.

Yup right even Hauppauge dose that same thing to
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm in a similar situation as OP.

I have an Elgato60HD but it's only HDMI whereas the older Elgato had legacy (composite/component) option as well. I was looking at a professional grade video scaler/converter.
    Was looking at TV One 1T-VS-658 HDMI Video Scaler. Pricey but it does convert to HDMI, has a quality upscaler, and noise reduction. I originally purchased some cheap Composite to HDMI converter on Amazon but it was skewing the aspect ratio when capturing on elgato. Stretched the VHS picture from 4:3 to 16:9 and the audio channels were reversed plus crazy noise in the background. I was very happy with the quality when I used VLC to change to proper aspect ratio but the fact I had to re-encode each video to 4:3 was a pain + loss of quality.

I've looked into a Hauppauge PVR but wasn't sure about the quality of the finished capture.

I'm archiving 70-80 VHS tapes of our family's vacations/birthdays/trips from the 80's and 90's. I was either going to burn to DVD but leaning towards just burning it on blu-ray with the bigger storage capacity and all of the devices in the house are blu-ray players (PS3, PS4, and a standalone BR player).

I believe Elgato60HD only captures in h.264 .mp4 so if I were to burn to bluray or dvd it would just have to re-encode anyways? I see the Hauppauge PVR captures files in .TS/.M2TS/.MP4.

I would like to capture and archive separately on these new external HDD's I bought for Black Friday. And then burn them onto bluray/dvd for my parents as a Christmas gift. What do you guys suggest? If getting a Hauppauge PVR is going to produce the same capture quality as the TV One 1T-VS-658 HDMI Video Scaler >> Elgato60HD then I may just get the Hauppauge. And any suggestions for burning them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You want take the time read some of stuff here even know it for retogaming http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ and http://retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html
    Some best top scaler are called the XRGB-mini Framemeister or OSSC maybe your best beat

I think HD-PVR 60 dose a bit better job in the PQ and it support 1080p/60fps in fact I using to rec off Dishnetwork

Only very first HD-PVR 1212 and Colossus had Blu-ray compatible support without re-encode with Arcsoft software
    The HD-PVR 2, Colossus 2 and HD-PVR 60 will mostly have to be re-encode but that I don't know as I haven't done one in min years.
    Yes the Elgato60HD captures in H.264 just all above Hauppauge capture device as they all have hardware encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    You want take the time read some of stuff here even know it for retogaming http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ and http://retrorgb.com/upscalercompare.html
    Some best top scaler are called the XRGB-mini Framemeister or OSSC maybe your best beat

I think HD-PVR 60 dose a bit better job in the PQ and it support 1080p/60fps in fact I using to rec off Dishnetwork

Only very first HD-PVR 1212 and Colossus had Blu-ray compatible support without re-encode with Arcsoft software
    The HD-PVR 2, Colossus 2 and HD-PVR 60 will mostly have to be re-encode but that I don't know as I haven't done one in min years.
    Yes the Elgato60HD captures in H.264 just all above Hauppauge capture device as they all have hardware encoder.
    Well since this is only for transferring VHS to HDD then burn to Bluray/DVD I should get the HD PVR 1212? I don't think 1080p and 60fps will mean much for the VHS quality. ElgatoHD60 also does 1080p and 60fps.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ImperatorFuriosa View Post
    Well since this is only for transferring VHS to HDD then burn to Bluray/DVD I should get the HD PVR 1212? I don't think 1080p and 60fps will mean much for the VHS quality. ElgatoHD60 also does 1080p and 60fps.
    Where the hell are you people getting your information and specs? 1080/60 is not BluRay and not DVD (and will look like crap after it's downscaled for DVD). Upscaling VHS to HD frames and all this re-encoding madness is (being charitable here) a really stupid waste of time. Only visually challenged newbs try this kind of stuff. Gets depressing reading about it after a while. The age of this thread, no post of supposedly superior results, and the worsening quality of internet video posts testify to the nonsense promoted in these old, oft-repeated threads.

End of rant. Waste all the time you want, it's your video. Glad I won't be forced to watch the typical results.

Happy holidays to all
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Where the hell are you people getting your information and specs? 1080/60 is not BluRay and not DVD (and will look like crap after it's downscaled for DVD). Upscaling VHS to HD frames and all this re-encoding madness is (being charitable here) a really stupid waste of time. Only visually challenged newbs try this kind of stuff. Gets depressing reading about it after a while. The age of this thread, no post of supposedly superior results, and the worsening quality of internet video posts testify to the nonsense promoted in these old, oft-repeated threads.

End of rant. Waste all the time you want, it's your video. Glad I won't be forced to watch the typical results.

Happy holidays to all
    Who's forcing you to do anything? I only asked questions. I mean this forum is called "videohelp" and I just found this via a google search.

Where did I say exactly that 1080/60 is Blu Ray? I'm not trying to re-encode anything. I simply bumped the thread because I already have an Elgato capture card and I've had issues trying to transfer the VHS tapes with a cheap Composite-to-HDMI converter while using Elgato.

Get back to your rocking chair while rocking your fists to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    The most recent talk here deals with capturing SD to HD. Did you skip Reading 101?
    I don 't own a rocker. Funny you should assume I spend my time the way you do.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Just browsing through your post history, you were posting about these topics in the "Restoration" and "Media" sub-forums. I've browsed through the Capture sub-forum here and have found different questions in the general area of the topic I'm asking but this was the only one I found where the OP had similar hardware.

Also handicapped by the fact I'm on a Mac so I'm already going to have an issue with some hardware or software not being compatible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post

Happy holidays to all
    LoL 1080p/60 is not BluRay then I guest 720p/60 is also not BluRay to ? funny there are some disc that may used it after all what good is 4k then LoL after it going 2160p/60, but it vague with fast moving only good in cinema films.
    We can all say the some thing about VCD and SVCD and monkey thing we all did back in the old day the truth is all depend your hardware player decoder chip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not with composite video some people have had bad luck with it you should be ok with component video in 1080i mode
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!