VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have a Av Toolbox AVt-8710 for free for you cover postage and its yours - - make a post and i will choose at random

ive been help'd so much from the experts on here and this is just a chance for me to help someone else

[Attachment 43401 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by hdfills; 16th Oct 2017 at 16:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    interested but im united states , thank you. i have a lot soccer games in vhs i need fix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The black model has ghosting problems and repeated frame problems.
    Free is a good price for something with such flaws.

Nice offer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. well it worked perfect for me before i got my video processor so i have no idea what your talking about but offer withdrawn as clearly nobody wants it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hdfills View Post
    well it worked perfect for me before i got my video processor
    Does KDVP8 have better TBC?
    Last edited by Pinto007; 18th Oct 2017 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
  6. no mate not at all i used a panasonic es10 in the end and had great results
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pinto007 View Post
    Does KDVP8 have better TBC?
    "TBC" is a term with wide latitude for what counts as one, with many failing to handle the basic tasks that are expected from TBCs. So you have to be really careful. The CTB-100/AVT-8710 is a pure TBC. That one tends to be more obvious. But the KDVP8 is for other uses, but TBC built-in. That's often where you find poor uses of the terminology, such as DVD recorder, cameras or DV boxes with "TBCs" that do nothing discernible. Since he doesn't even notice the drawbacks of the modern Cypress chipsets, I'd wager he has zero input in such a pricey device. Simply put, be wise, don't trust the marketing and tech specs. Verify with third-party references -- and qualified ones (ie somebody that truly knows video, not a "reviewer").

well it worked perfect for me before i got my video processor so i have no idea what your talking about
    You may not notice, but the problem is still there. An easy test is to use a JVC S-VHS VCR, and watch what happens when you navigate the menus. It happens all through a tape conversion, at random times. The JVC test is simply a known-reproduceable test. A flawless unit, earlier models, had no such problems.

but offer withdrawn as clearly nobody wants it
    After 2 days you came to that conclusion? Again, I think it's a kind offer for somebody who may want to use/test a known-flawed device.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Funny how something everyone raves about can suddenly be so unpopular!

If nobody else want it, I would be happy to take it, even if only to tidy up some remaining VHS recording for archive on DVD/BD. I deal with marginal signals from analog and digital satellite and terrestrial point-to-point links too so it would be interesting to see how it could cope with 'live' but noisy signals too. I am in the UK

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok betwixt inbox me postage details and i will post out monday - i have no idea why lordsmurf is being so negative - ive done alot of transfers with the unit and had great stable results and as there £200 still new yes it is a good freebie
    Last edited by hdfills; 20th Oct 2017 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
  10. LordSmurf has very high standards indeed, which sometimes put him at odds with more casual posters. But it would be a mistake to completely dismiss any input he gives on a topic: he is one of the few people contributing to A/V forums who actually does analog VHS>digital conversions every day as a professional, and gets paid for his efforts. So he is drawing on a great deal of past experience, and has some unique insights into hardware that was once a reference standard, but later declined in performance due to aging or severe quality control variations by the mfr (i.e. the TBC under discussion). It is certainly reasonable to disagree with LordSmurf if your personal experience with a process or device seems satisfactory, but its nearly always a good idea to consider his input when evaluating a new workflow, device or software.

Re this very generous offer: whoever gets this TBC should derive at least some benefit from it assuming it works the way hdfills describes. Warts and all, its one of the few"hobbyist" TBCs one can still buy new. Sample variation of late runs from adequate to horrible, so obtaining this presumably functional example from hdfills could save the lucky recipient from a tedious buy-return-buy-return-buy-return lottery. With enough time and patience, the design flaws can be worked around if you find they afflict you: one can hardly ask more from a freebie.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I have the exact same box and when hooking it up in the stream I too haven't noticed any improvement, Couldn't see any degradation to the signal though, Maybe I should try the JVC menu trick that Lordsmurf mentioned above when I get time.

I posted a thread here and Lordsmurf was the only one to answer it:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7311-genuine-avt-8710-a.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made a comment in another thread by the OP about this unit. No one actually disagreed with me but that is not to say I was correct in my comments.

I honestly thought that this particular piece of kit had zero use for time-base corrections for standard VHS captures ie tearing. Whereas it should help for jumpy pictures and macrovision.

On that basis I felt I had no use for this - offer was made elsewhere as well.

But then I adore my ADVC300 and regular readers will know LS's opinion on these
    Quote Quote  
  13. Did you get my details? I sent them in a PM on 20 October.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I wished a device as stable and robust as the ADVC300 or Edirol VMC-1 that can capture AVI lossless had been made available, I had to let my VMC-1 go since I have no use for DV files, Not that I'm against the format, but prefer lossless first and choose codec later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh gawd, I own 2x ADVC100’s and used them thousands of times to convert Analog>Digital. I hope it didn’t cause a crap-load of hidden errors. I never had any problems, so maybe I got lucky. These things cost me about $500/ea.

Okay... give me the bad news guys...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I have the exact same box and when hooking it up in the stream I too haven't noticed any improvement,
    External TBCs are for cleaning the signal, not the image. Signal timing errors causes all sorts of capture-time errors, from dropped frames to capture cards refusing to lock onto the analog tape signal. Line/field TBCs inside S-VHS VCRs, and a few rare DVD recorders (ES10/15 on passthrough), are what clean an image. The DNR is merged with those TBCs, noting that on-deck DNR has more settings to make it stronger yet.

Couldn't see any degradation to the signal though, Maybe I should try the JVC menu trick that Lordsmurf mentioned above when I get time.
    It's not obvious until you watch an entire capture. You'll see lots of frame oddities from the bad black AVT-8710: reversed frames, frame repeats, ghosting, digital tearing (not analog tearing).

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    My position on DV boxes has somewhat softened in the past 10 years, as it is the only real stable option for Mac capturing. Better Mac devices have obsoloted too much, not even considered legacy devices. DV does cook color, and you do lose quality. The ADVC-300 is a flawed device, unfortunately, due to its always-on filtering. Bad design. I have a unit here for further testing, and I'll be getting to it after I buy a Firewire card next month.

If you use an ADVC for yourself, not for others, then I don't fault you. It's when lower quality is foisted on others that I take issue.

Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Oh gawd, I own 2x ADVC100’s and used them thousands of times to convert Analog>Digital. I hope it didn’t cause a crap-load of hidden errors. I never had any problems, so maybe I got lucky. These things cost me about $500/ea.
    Okay... give me the bad news guys...
    You lost 50% color quality from 4:1:1 color reduction, especially if the 4:1:1 was encode back to 4:2:0 (DVD-Video). And you may have dropped some frames. Also important: Was an S-VHS VCR or TBCs used? If not, then quality will be worse than the original tape (as seen on VHS VCR). With proper equipment, quality can be better than the VHS VCR showed you. Tapes are better than people give them credit for.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I wished a device as stable and robust as the ADVC300 or Edirol VMC-1 that can capture AVI lossless had been made available, I had to let my VMC-1 go since I have no use for DV files, Not that I'm against the format, but prefer lossless first and choose codec later.
    My dream device?
    - chroma noise removal of LSI DMN8xxx chipsets
    - MPEG 4:2:2 profile capturing at 15-50mbps
    - Lagarith YUY2 hardware encoding (tends to be too CPU-heavy for software capturing, even now)
    - TBC(ish) of Panasonic DMR-ES10, with on/off
    - USB3 or eSATA interface

All of that is possible, and could exist today.
    I'd not even blink if it cost $500. Sold.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    My dream device?
    - chroma noise removal of LSI DMN8xxx chipsets
    - MPEG 4:2:2 profile capturing at 15-50mbps
    - Lagarith YUY2 hardware encoding (tends to be too CPU-heavy for software capturing, even now)
    - TBC(ish) of Panasonic DMR-ES10, with on/off
    - USB3 or eSATA interface

All of that is possible, and could exist today.
    I'd not even blink if it cost $500. Sold.
    And while you're at it make the signal at the TBC stage stays digital, No need to convert back to analog after digitizing and processing the frames. That's about 10% improvement.
    A chip programmer can start a crowd funding and make something like this available in the size of a cigarette pack for under $100 easily, silicon is not as expensive as it use to be.
    Quote Quote