VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch of recordings in my SA 8300HD which I plan to transfer to my PC using my Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 (via component input). Hauppauge says their device doesn't support CC, so I'll have to use something else to create a subtitle file.
    • During playback of previously-recorded shows, does the 8300HD output CC?
    • What should I use (on Windows) to capture CC?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blaq View Post
    I have a bunch of recordings in my SA 8300HD which I plan to transfer to my PC using my Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 (via component input). Hauppauge says their device doesn't support CC, so I'll have to use something else to create a subtitle file.
    • During playback of previously-recorded shows, does the 8300HD output CC?
    • What should I use (on Windows) to capture CC?

Thanks!
    You cannot capture closed captions with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2. It isn't designed to do that. Plus, HDMI can't provide closed caption data to record and component video doesn't include it either. You can only capture open captions with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2. (You would capture the PVR output while closed captions are on and visible on the screen. The captions are then a permanent part of the picture.)

To capture closed captions you need a different device, one that captures video from a composite video connection and captures Line 21 closed captioning data. I think the WinTV HVR-2250 and WinTV HVR-1800 can capture closed captions using WinTV. The WinTV software uses a proprietary closed caption stream which works for playback in WinTV, but won't help you if you play the recording in any other player. If I recall correctly, CCExtractorGUI can extract the closed captions as SRT subtitles.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Oct 2017 at 18:22. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I will check CCExtractorGUI out and see what low-cost capture devices its users recommend.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the helpful reply. I will check CCExtractorGUI out and see what low-cost capture devices its users recommend.
    Displaying/capturing closed captions can be legally required if a device has a TV tuner, but that is definitely not true otherwise. For that reason, I strongly suspect that there are no cheap standard definition analog capture devices which capture closed captions. You almost certainly need a PC TV tuner device with analog capture or at least an analog tuner to capture closed captions with a PC, although I am not sure that all of them can capture closed captions.

CCExtractor GUI works with Hauppauge's proprietary method or with closed captions stored in the MPEG-2 user data, as is done with DVD. (Although AMD is now out of the TV tuner business, ATI used to make TV tuner devices where the encoder stored closed captions in the MPEG-2 user data. I owned two of them.)

If you need a USB device, possibly a WinTV-HVR-955Q will work, using its analog tuner, assuming your SA 8300HD can output video on analog channel 3 or 4 for older TVs. Otherwise, there is the WinTV-HVR-1955.

I also found an ATI TV Wonder 750 USB tuner on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/i/122662921182?chn=ps&dispItem=1. It has closed caption support, but I don't know what its PVR software is like.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Oct 2017 at 08:46.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Displaying/capturing closed captions can be legally required if a device has a TV tuner, but that is definitely not true otherwise. For that reason, I strongly suspect that there are no cheap standard definition analog capture devices which capture closed captions. You almost certainly need a PC TV tuner device with analog capture or at least an analog tuner to capture closed captions with a PC, although I am not sure that all of them can capture closed captions.

CCExtractor GUI works with Hauppauge's proprietary method or with closed captions stored in the MPEG-2 user data, as is done with DVD. (Although AMD is now out of the TV tuner business, ATI used to make TV tuner devices where the encoder stored closed captions in the MPEG-2 user data. I owned two of them.)

If you need a USB device, possibly a WinTV-HVR-955Q will work, using its analog tuner, assuming your SA 8300HD can output video on analog channel 3 or 4 for older TVs. Otherwise, there is the WinTV-HVR-1955.

I also found an ATI TV Wonder 750 USB tuner on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/i/122662921182?chn=ps&dispItem=1. It has closed caption support, but I don't know what its PVR software is like.
    I actually bought that ATI TV Wonder last year and use it to capture closed captioning. I have to do it in a separate run from the video capture with the HD PVR 60, but it by using it with graphstudio and ccextractor, it works perfect. Took a little doing, but I eventually got it to work - thank to the help I got here! https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378028-Possible-to-capture-closed-captions-using-h...-devices/page2
    Quote Quote