VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi friends! When transferring VHS, VHS-C and Video8/Hi8 I use one of my two Canopus ADVC-300 as TBC and FireWire interface for my computers. When there are noise between two clips on a tape, the connection between the ADVC-300 and my computers gets lost and I need to restart the ADVC and Scenalyzer. It doesn't matter if I run the ADVC in PC or Unit mode. This happen with both ADVC's and with different computers. Instead I can use a Panasonic DMR ES10 passthrough as TBC and my Sony DSR11 as a passthrough converter to Firewire. That works flawless. I can't imagine that the ADVC-300 was ment to have this limitation...

I have googled these problems but can't find anything explaining how to fix or make a workaround to these problems.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have an ADVC300.

let me guess...yes you tried with two different ADVC-300 and two different computers. BUT DID YOU TRY WITH A DIFFERENT FIREWIRE LEAD?

Ive always had massive problems with firewire leads and my ADVC300..it just hates some, kinda sometimes likes others and theres only a few it really works with properly...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Blackout, thanks for your reply! Yes I have tried different leads, both 4 and 6-pin. I use these leads with other equipment and they work flawless. I recognize the solution that you suggest from other FW-devices I’ve had in the past where only one FW-lead works but not others, not even new ones. My Sony DSR-11 MiniDV-recorder/player can be used as a passthrough A/D-converter but it lacks the TBC-function. On the rear of that device there is a switch that - if enabled - will automatically rewind and restart the tape AND also stop the capturing process if there are an unrecorded (noisy/scrambled) part between two film sequences. Luckily the switch for disabling that feature is there and that makes me wonder if this is attributable to the same cause and there might be a ”fix” for the ADVC-300 as well.
    Best Regards
    Sven
    Quote Quote  
  4. what software are you using to capture?
    Quote Quote  
  5. The TBC in the Canopus box is useless. Keep the ES10 in the chain. Problem solved, right?

I use the TBC in my VCR and have never had the problem you're reporting. And I always use WinDV for capturing my tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I hope you were trying with different power supplies as well????? I often find that power supplies still continue to feed 12 volts but they lose amperage...and in the case of eg Hard drive docks the unit will work until its "under stress" and then it will drop off the PC....maybe this is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    The TBC in the Canopus box is useless. Keep the ES10 in the chain. Problem solved, right?

I use the TBC in my VCR and have never had the problem you're reporting. And I always use WinDV for capturing my tapes.
    yes the TBC in the 300 is useless, it might cause instability in the picture or the recording to skip or stop, but ive never seen poor picture to cause an ADVC300 to actually LOSE FIREWIRE CONNECTION with a PC mano??? and this is the problem being described...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    ...and this is the problem being described...
    I understand the problem being described. And I suggested working around the problem by using the Panasonic DMR ES10 as his pass-through TBC. If it's the cable causing the problem or something else, yes, he can keep trying to diagnose it with your help. Me, I wouldn't worry about it since he already has a workaround solution.

As for cables, I have 4 pins into the ADVC-300 and 6 pins into the Firewire card. It's been awhile, but I think I remember reading to get a Firewire card with a TI chipset. So I did. Maybe you know more about that than I.
    Quote Quote  
  9. youre right about the TI Chipset as well mano. Without it things go haywire and the ADVC drops off the firewire often. That could very well be his problem also.
    Quote Quote