VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Dunno if this has been mentioned or if it is relevant, but doesn't IRQ sharing in Win2K play a role in dropped frames? I got an Osprey 200 cap card and it shares IRQs with lots of other devices and I'm getting probably 50% dropped frames. I heard that there's a way to install Win2K to not use the IRQ sharing feature -- install it as "standard PC" or something like that. That way the cap card (and any other items of hardware) would be on their own IRQs. Though if people capture just fine on PCs running Win2K/XP with IRQ sharing, then maybe this isn't my issue?
    - Mike Young
    My Clay Animations
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. I wasn't aware that the type of PC selected in this setting did anything to the IRQ handling. I had always disabled IRQ sharing through CMOS setup.

I'd like to know if this is true for XP as well, or if IRQ sharing is "hard-wired" into XP like I've heard.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can force a IRQ change in XP thru the MB bios. The DVRex was on a IRQ shared with many other devices which I disliked. I am running the Soyo Ultra Platinum with the latest bios which is capable of the IRQ changes. One way to free them up is to disable the com ports, and use a USB mouse. There you have 3 open IRQ's for other uses.

XP pro SP1

MAK
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi all, I'm new to Pyro and new to this board.

I bought a new-condition used Rev. A Pyro (with the dip switches accessible) off eBay recently ($81!) for the purpose of transferring VHS to DVD using Mac OS-X and iMovie with iDVD or similar on a dual 450 G4, 1 gig RAM and capturing via FireWire to an external FireWire hard drive (7200 RPM). I have two overall questions:

1) How do we define "dropped frames", and how are people counting them?

My problem so far is that the video input window in iMovie will briefly go blue (with "Camera Connected" visible) every few minutes before the video signal is recovered. On certain tapes at SP speed (dubbed once, VCR-to-VCR) the problem will occur either at the same spot each time, or at different spots. One tape I tested at EP speed (with material captured directly from TV) did not exhibit this dropout at all over a test period of several minutes. I assume the problem with the SP tapes is that they were dubbed. I still need to test a clean store-bought tape to help narrow down the cause.

Am I experiencing the infamous "dropped frames" problem, or is this some other loss/interruption of signal due to poor quality tape? My VCR is a Sony SLV-677HF (hi-fi stereo).

BTW, when the captured video is viewed in iMovie, there are no ugly gaps where signal was lost--just clean cuts that look like the original camera was stopped and started again.

2) I understand the latest ROM C rev of the Pyro addresses the dropped frame issue. Since my unit is used, how is that repair handled (cost, etc.)?

Thanks,

canvangelist
    www.canvangelist.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. very nice thread indeed. Anyways i am running xp pro /AMD athlon 1800+ with a crappy 60GB harddrive that i have split into two partitions. i have used nero vision 3 many tims to capture miniDV directly into dvd compliant mpeg 2 with only 10-15 dropped frames for an hour worth of video many times. not too shabby i would say. anyways, sometimes when i do drop frames, what i do is stop the capturing process as soon the dropping begins, wait a few minutes and start capturing the rest of the video. Then i glue the feeds together. works fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I run Sclive on a variety of laptops and desktops, always capturing to a seperate drive and I abuse it really badly, running loads of other apps at the same time and deleting files while it captures. It NEVER drops frames. Great piece of software.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I suspect that I'm having dropped frames but I'm not sure. I'm using digitalfaq.com tutorial to capture. The tutorial I mean is the one using PowerVCR II with the hacks.

Can anybody post a link to a small mpeg with dropped frames? I'm capturing from a VHS tape that was made from a VHS-C tape. My VCR is kinda new and I believe that it's not dropping frames from any kind of tracking issue.

Another problem is that on the tutorial it says that PowerVCR II has audio sync issues and to use PVAStrumento to correct it. But my captures are always on sync and I don't need PVA to do anything. When I try to use PVA it makes my sound really bad. So I don't. But when I demultiplex it, my sound lenght is approximately one minute longer than the video. Does that mean that it's dropping frames? Why on the original mpeg it plays perfectly? I believe I read somewhere that PowerVCR writes the headers wrong, making the sound out of sync after demultiplexing. How can I correct this without using PVA (because for me it doesn't work).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boombastic
    I suspect that I'm having dropped frames but I'm not sure. I'm using digitalfaq.com tutorial to capture. The tutorial I mean is the one using PowerVCR II with the hacks.

Can anybody post a link to a small mpeg with dropped frames? I'm capturing from a VHS tape that was made from a VHS-C tape. My VCR is kinda new and I believe that it's not dropping frames from any kind of tracking issue.

Another problem is that on the tutorial it says that PowerVCR II has audio sync issues and to use PVAStrumento to correct it. But my captures are always on sync and I don't need PVA to do anything. When I try to use PVA it makes my sound really bad. So I don't. But when I demultiplex it, my sound lenght is approximately one minute longer than the video. Does that mean that it's dropping frames? Why on the original mpeg it plays perfectly? I believe I read somewhere that PowerVCR writes the headers wrong, making the sound out of sync after demultiplexing. How can I correct this without using PVA (because for me it doesn't work).

Thanks
    Video frames are dropped, audio frames are not. It's not great software. It works for some, not others. Doesn't work for you, it seems. Have to use something else. Maybe even capture AVI and encoder to MPEG later on.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. - Why does it play perfectly on the MPEG and not on the demultiplexed version?
    - If my system didn't drop any frames, does it mean that when I demultiplex, the audio and the video file have to be exactly the same lenght? (I know it sounds obvious, but what I mean is if the difference is 1 or 2 seconds does it make any difference on the final file?)

I've been able to make great captures over a year. But since my HD crashed, I had to buy another one and reinstall everything again. All my hardware is the same (except the HD), but I never got to capture like it did before. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone! I just bought a new PC (AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor) and I am capturing with an ATI AIW X600 Pro video card on an SUS A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard. I did my first capture last night with ATI MMC. I was dropping something like 10% of the frames. I've read most of the posts on this topic and I suspect it's either a) because I didn't unplug my Ethernet connection or, more likely b) because I don't have a separate sound card (i.e. I used the X600 Pro's audio in). The problem is, from what I've read, the sound capabilities on the ASUS motherboard are much better than those of a cheap Sound Blaster card. Could getting a separate Sound Blaster card really help me from dropping frames? Also, I have two dual 120GB Western Digital HDDs with RAID. I've also read this could be a problem. RAID or no RAID? Any input would be much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  11. do you mean 2 sets of RAID'ed HDD's (4 disks total) or 1 set of 2 disks?

RAID itself is not so much the problem, as capturing to a separate physical disk to the OS is.

If you only have 2 HDD's it would be better to have them as separate volumes, and do away with RAID in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Great FAQ. Sorry I didn't read all 4 pages of posts, but I have a question. The main FAQ says to turn down resolution or change to 16-bit color rather than 32-bit.

Will this affect the quality of my recording and playback?!
    Quote Quote  
  13. BLACK FRAME(S)
    Please excuse my possible ignorance on this matter but is a black frame in a captured clip to be considered a dropped frame?
    Quote Quote  
  14. No. If it is in the captured video, then it was not dropped.

It is possible that the capture program might replace a dropped frame with a black one, but I do not know of any that do this.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dropped Frames: Well I am a newbie... I have read all posts in this forum. I am using a firewire and can not capture video anymore. I used to use Dell Movie Studio and it worked fine; but I replaced my DVD burner after the old one broke and now when I try and caputure video it drops about 450 out of 500 frames. I guess my question is can this have anything to do with the firewire card? Should I just replace it a start from there? I am really at a loss and after 3-4 hours reading the boards I am really lost.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hadn't been able to capture a decent AVI since I built my PC with onboard 6.1 surround and ATI 7500 capture card. MPEG2 captures were fine buy I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't capture a good AVI since I was under the assumption that MPEG2 needed more resources. Not only would I always drop frames at the beginning of the capture, the audio was always out of sync.
    Two weeks ago, I decided to install an audio card that a friend had given me and it fixed my problem. No more dropped frames in my AVI captures and no more audio sync problems.

BTW, I've never been able to capture with Virtualdub using my ATI capture card. Even with all the suggestions that Phaeron gave me. MMC 7.9 seems to work the best for me with this card.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I know it is ideal to loose no frames whatsoever. However I was foolish the morning and used the net while capturing a movie and I dropped two frames in a movie that is an hour and half. I tell myself that I probably would never notice two frames missing out of 150 thousand frames, but feel bad about it just the same. I am thinking of deleting the movie and waiting for it to come on again someday. How many frames should be lost before a person should try again at a later date to record the same?

I am thinking once I get my computer fixed, of getting another one and having the original one for just capturing video to, and transferring the files to another computer to edit, author and burn to DVD. I am having problems with my MMC locking up while doing other tasks on the computer while capturing, and I link it to my new mother board not matching up the FSB speed of the CPU. From advice I was given over in the Computer forum, my computer is underclocking by 33 percent. The chip has a 800mhz FSB and the motherboard has a FSB of 533mhz. Though the benifit of the underclocking is my computer is running at a cooler temperature. I really like the cooler temperature when I am using DVD Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  18. 1. Video is demanding. Multi-tasking can cause dropped frames. Either learn to do one thing at a time or buy an extra system. Close all TSR programs (like anti-virus and other items in your system tray).

Can somebody please explain how to do this? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CTL-ALT-DELETE> TASK MANAGER
    brings up list of TSR programs

Highlight undesired process and below the list window click on "END TASK"

TSR
    ="something-stay-resident"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    CTL-ALT-DELETE> TASK MANAGER
    brings up list of TSR programs

Highlight undesired process and below the list window click on "END TASK"

TSR
    Only problem is ... what the hell is most of that stuff?

I got tons of stuff going on and don't know what most of it is LOL

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i beem using a laptop with 8 USB hard drives pluged onto two four way USB 2.0 ports and i video cap with
    WinDv and a Canopus DVC110, in the last two years, and i have never had any dropped frames or lost any of the digital video when capping with a 1.4mhz Celeron with 2 gig memory and a 40 gig hard drive running at 5400rpm, sometimes i cap video from a JVC S-vhs too and never had any frames drop from that, but my question is with WinDv is it Telling me the truth about lost frames the digital video looks just like the original VHS video tape, so how can i tell if the video file has any dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I don't understand your concern. WinDV reports no dropped frames and your videos do not appear to have any missing frames, so where does your doubt come from? I can assure you that WinDV is not lying to you. It has been my experience that if you were dropping frames, then WinDV would report it. I have a drive that I can't capsfer to because it will drop frames, and WinDV reports it every time.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by dcsos
    TSR
    Terminate and Stay Resident. It's from the DOS days when you could only run one program at a time. Once you started a program and it "owned" the the computer until it terminated. A TSR would terminate, returning control to the command line interpreter, but leave some code in memory. That code would then be accessed directly by another program or indirectly by intercepting system calls or interrupts.

Originally Posted by dVd4lIfe
    how can i tell if the video file has any dropped frames.
    Watch it. If you see jerks where the VHS tape doesn't, you have dropped frames.
    Quote Quote  
  24. It would be nice idea-especially for old systems-to choose a utility which close anything runs-even WIN services-in background and you dont REALLY NEED, under given circumstances and the job you wanna do.Other things you need as GAMER,other as power user and so on..

TO MOYTRO
    Quote Quote  
  25. You could check out AlacrityPC or EndItAll.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by TO MOYTRO View Post
    It would be nice idea-especially for old systems-to choose a utility which close anything runs-even WIN services-in background and you dont REALLY NEED, under given circumstances and the job you wanna do.Other things you need as GAMER,other as power user and so on..

TO MOYTRO
    msconfig lets you do that. I turn off everything except Plug and Play and Windows Audio to capture digital and composite video without dropping frames using an 8-year old Pentium 4 running Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not much of a forum guy and not sure what sticky implies. But I just purchased a BlackMagicDesign Intensity Pro capture Card. I'm curious about something. During playback from the VCR to the TV i see zero dropped frames. Try to capture the same VHS tape and experience a tonne of dropped frames - why? I've tried all the setting combinations and nothing changes. Sure the tape may have seen better days, but how can the same footage be displayed on the TV but not through the capture card? Why would an expensive dedicated card perform far below the average VHS player. I've two different VHS machine and a 3rd one will be here in about 20 minutes so I can try it on that one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB5ZPaRbVDA
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 Green WD 1TB 7,200rpm 64Meg Cache HD's running in software RAID0 via the Windows 7 64-bit ultimate (via the disk management setup), but I believe my motherboard supports hardware RAID. Would going H/W RAID0 give me better bandwidth? I've noticed that my Blackmagic Intensity Pro can drop frames even with MJPEG (even on a fully de-fragged HD), but it can usually capture 8-Bit uncompressed HD footage (720p60) to the same RAID0 setup without dropping any frames for a good length of time. Would using a Hardware RAID setup reduce the chance of dropped frames? Thanks.
    Andrew Mills

www.samus.co.uk
    Greatest Metroid Site Around
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    I’m not sure if anyone has seen my posts. You probably have. My system just now began to start acting up. I use Hauppauge Capture with a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition recently switched from capturing using a component cable into my capture device to all HDMI. All of a sudden now as I’m capturing it looks like it’s dropping frames. I can’t figure out what’s wrong. I’m kinda at my nerves end.
    Quote Quote