VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having some issues with a capture card i just bought, and i want to rule out all other potential sources of the problem. So i thought I'd try to get some better HDMI cables. Currently I'm using monoprice HDMI 2.0 18gbps cables, but i have had issues in the past with monoprice HDMI cables. I'm not looking to drop several hundred on some high end braided silver audioquest cables, but I'd probably be willing to spend up to $50 per cable. I'd very much like to avoid super stiff cables if at all possible. Any suggestions on the best options for high bitrate capture (up to 4k60 HDR w/5.1, uncompressed)?
    MSI Z390, i7-8700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2060 KO, AverMedia LG4k, HDFury Vertex˛, Sam 970 Pro (OS), multiple SSDs/HDDs, AOC 32" 4k
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Years ago, Blue Jeans Cable was recommended by another member here as a source for HDMI cables that are a step up from Monoprice's. Blue Jeans Cable's website include a page at https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/note-about-hdmi-2.htm that discusses the characteristics of HDMI cables suitable for HDMI 2.0

Blue Jeans Cable states that their BJC Series-FE Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cables up to 15 ft. have been tested to ensure that they meet the requirements for HDMI 2.0. HDMI cables are at https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Years ago, Blue Jeans Cable was recommended by another member here as a source for HDMI cables that are a step up from Monoprice's. Blue Jeans Cable's website include a page at https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/note-about-hdmi-2.htm that discusses the characteristics of HDMI cables suitable for HDMI 2.0

Blue Jeans Cable states that their BJC Series-FE Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cables up to 15 ft. have been tested to ensure that they meet the requirements for HDMI 2.0. HDMI cables are at https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
    Thanks for the help again. I'm not so sure that company is the best option. It looks like the shortest cable they carry is 10ft, which is way more than I need. I'm looking at probably (2) 5-6ft cables and (1) 3ft cable.
    MSI Z390, i7-8700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2060 KO, AverMedia LG4k, HDFury Vertex˛, Sam 970 Pro (OS), multiple SSDs/HDDs, AOC 32" 4k
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Blue Jeans Cable 28AWG BJC Series-FE Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cables that have the recommended Premium Certification, are sold in lengths from 1 ft to 15ft.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Aug 2020 at 11:38. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Blue Jeans Cable 28AWG BJC Series-FE Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cables that have the recommended Premium Certification, are sold in lengths from 1 ft to 15ft.
    Oh thats funny. I was on the mobile site before, and it has completely different options. I see what youre talking about now. I see more cable types actually.

So I was wondering, would it just make sense for me to buy an HDMI 2.1 cable instead? My GPU has DP & HDMI 2.0b, and the LG4k only has HDMI 2.0 input. So it should be capped at 18Gbps. But using a 48Gbps cable, even if its not full 48 is till better than risking not getting full 18Gbps, right? I hear Belkin, Monoprice, and 1-2 other brands have real certified 2.1 cables.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    Oh thats funny. I was on the mobile site before, and it has completely different options. I see what youre talking about now. I see more cable types actually.

So I was wondering, would it just make sense for me to buy an HDMI 2.1 cable instead? My GPU has DP & HDMI 2.0b, and the LG4k only has HDMI 2.0 input. So it should be capped at 18Gbps. But using a 48Gbps cable, even if its not full 48 is till better than risking not getting full 18Gbps, right? I hear Belkin, Monoprice, and 1-2 other brands have real certified 2.1 cables.
    You could use an HDMI 2.1 cable instead. The certified Monoprice HDMI 2.1 cables are certainly cheap enough. Although they are supposed to be rated for 48Gbps and 8K video, HDMI 2.1 cables are fully backwards compatible with earlier HDMI versions since there are no physical differences between the connectors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post

You could use an HDMI 2.1 cable instead. The certified Monoprice HDMI 2.1 cables are certainly cheap enough. Although they are supposed to be rated for 48Gbps and 8K video, HDMI 2.1 cables are fully backwards compatible with earlier HDMI versions since there are no physical differences between the connectors.
    ok cool. I just ordered a pair of the monos and the belkins to be safe. Hopefully 1 set gets the job done.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got the Belkins in today. These might actually be all I needed. I can capture 4k60 h265 @ 180 bitrate smoothly, and I can repeatedly do it. Only thing that still isn't working is 5.1ch capture, but I have an "appointment" for a Teamviewer meeting with Avermedia on Monday. Hopefully they can sort that whole audio thing out.

I can't even believe all these issues were (apparently) due to shitty monoprice HDMI cables. I knew I should not have trusted their HDMI cables again; I don't know why I bought them again after the first time I had issues. Monoprice makes many other great products for stupid cheap, but their HDMI cables are total garbage.
    Quote Quote