VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used virtualdubmod to change a .ogm file into avi but it made it 20GB. and thats alot of room for a 30 minute video. it should be nowhere near that. why is it that big? is there a way to make it smaller and did I just do it wrong?

thanks alot for any help that is given
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you probobly didn't select a compression type and made it an uncomprressed avi

try again and pick what codec you want to use ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. umm one thing.my friend said you cant play compressed files in a dvd player? which kinda ruins what I wanted to do.... is that true. Im guessing it is now. makes since.

I compressed it with 3ivx. incase that helps for some reason
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd players play mpeg files -- you didnt say you were making a dvd ..

virtualdub doesnt make mpg files either ... you need a mpeg encoder , then author your dvd , then burn it ..

btw - your friend is wrong , dvd players ONLY play compressed files ...

mpeg is ocmpressed , some players also play some types of xvid and divx files , which are also compressed ..

see some of the guides to the left to get you started ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and dont compress it to 3ivx first either ....
    Quote Quote  
  6. umm 2 questions though about changing them to a mpeg file. which do I use there are different types of them. and also will I be able to set it up so that it can be in either language and have subtitles on them when I want to. I want to be able to burn all 3 of those to the dvd and then be able to choose how I want to listen to it.

EDIT: oh I guess by author that means I can? lol sry for all the questions i dont really know that much about dvd players and such. never really messed with them before
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    start reading some guides
    Quote Quote