VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ..to rip a DVD?
    Most of the articles\guides i have read all seem to say that ripping or decrypting a DVD shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.
    However I have found that it takes a lot longer for me, at least an hour.
    For example i used DVDecryptor to rip just the movie to my HDD. The movie by itself was over 7gig, so i knew i had to compress it as well.
    DVDecryptor took just over an hour to finish (and when i played the vob files in PowerDVD the movie was at a slight angle????).

Is this normal or am i doing something wrong? I have got an Athlon XP 1800 w. 256MB RAM and 30gig free on a 40gig HDD
    Quote Quote  
  2. Main factor controlling rip speed is your DVD-ROM. Ripping via a DVD-Burner is almost always a Bad Idea, since most burners are capped at 2x and since you'll be wearing out a fairly pricey piece of equipment. Better to use a cheap (less than $35) DVD-ROM which can read at a much higher rate.

Even the worse DVD-ROM ought to rip at 6x or more, which results in around 15 minutes per DVD5 and not more than 25 minutes or so with a DVD9. If your DVD-ROM isn't running this fast (check the speed indicated in DVDDecrypter as it rips) then you may have ASPI problems.
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, thanks for that mkelly.
    I forgot to mention that it seems to be decrypting at 1x to 2x speed!!!!!
    I forgot about it because i thought DVDecryptor was setting it to that speed so as not to frag up my DVDROM.
    Yes, i am using my DVDROM and it's a Toshiba something or other and i'm sure it's either a 12x or 16x.

You mentioned ASPI problems, but I have Win98SE.
    I know that you don't need to install any more in Win98SE, but i did download a file with ASPI drivers and there was a section for Win98 and i sort of "accidently" installed them.
    After that i was getting a Windows error that the ASPI files are old and it might cause problems but everything was working fine.
    I did follow a guide that let me extract the original wnaspi32.dll from my Win98 CD, but when i checked the timestamp it was older than the file i'd installed so forgot about it.

So d'ya think that's the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  4. My guess is you have indeed screwed something up with your ASPI drivers, but I'm no expert on '98 -- I've only used NT and its variations for the last 8 years so so.

It seems to me there was at least one thread on this very subject a couple of months ago -- you might try doing a search on "DVD ASPI" and see what it turns up. Other than that, hopefully the experts will jump in here and help out.
    "Like a knife, he cuts through life, like every day's his last" -- Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just downloaded the latest aspi drivers form adaptec for Win98.
    Will install and check decryptor again.

Is there a setting in Decryptor (and for any other DVD tools) which allow you to set the speed you want to rip from your DVDROM or will it always go for the max?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. AFAIK Decrypter always rips at the max speed it can get -- it will vary depending upon a lot of factors (length of DVD, encryption type, etc) and it varies as it rips so setting it to a constant speed wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

But you mention Adaptec -- you didn't, by any chance, install the piece of virusware known as Easy CD Creator, did you? That could well be the major cause of your problems, as this piece of crap has been known to create havoc. If you were using XP I'd recommend going back to when you tried installing this via a restore point, but with Win '98 there may be no good way to clear the registry short of a complete OS reinstall.
    Quote Quote  
  7. NO! NO! NO! (crosses himself and mutters a little prayer)
    Nero's the only baby i use.

The aspi drivers i installed were in a zip file which i think i downloaded from doom9. You live and u learn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, i am using my DVDROM and it's a Toshiba something or other and i'm sure it's either a 12x or 16x.
    some drives are still locked at 1x or 2x for ripping, even if they are rated at 12x-16x for regular data.

I have a Lite-On 16x drive I use for ripping, and it's not locked, so on some films I get 13x-16x rip speeds.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Can these drives be unlocked or is it a harware issue (i.e. buy a new drive)?
    I have updated the firmware so the drive is region free, but i don't think that helps does it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can these drives be unlocked or is it a harware issue (i.e. buy a new drive)?
    I think it depends on the drive, I don't know. I have had a couple of bad experiences with firmware, so I just went and bought a Lite-On 16x that I knew was unlocked right out the gate....

it was only $40, and that was at a retail store 5 months ago, they are listed on pricewatch.com now for as low as $24.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Updated aspi drivers, working fine now.
    Checked the specs for my drive and it is limited to 2x data transfer, bummer. (I also tested with Nero CDDVD speed)
    Guess i'll be buying a new drive now.........
    Quote Quote  
  12. Which model of Toshiba drive do you have? If you have the 1502 or newer model you can download hacked firmware for you drive. After upgrading my firmware I can now rip at 10x.

Check out this link to see if your drive is upgradable

http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/

aypwip
    Quote Quote